Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 09:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Survey:Since starting this woe what characteristics changes have you undergone

With me, I feel better about myself as a person. I find my self esteem has gone up.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 09:45

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default hiya wenders!!!!!!!!

i'm feeling more energetic and the clothes are looser!!!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 10:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmm, let me see...

-50 lbs. of fat gone
-excellent sleeps
-knee pains gone
-clear-headed
-consistent energy all day
-better able to "take on the day"
-came to terms with my carb-addiction and gratefully took on all the ongoing changes I had to make in my life
-better relationships with others
-being able to influence others with low-carb by example
-allowing me to control what I eat instead of eating controlling me
-wonderment at being able to wear a large-size instead of a ++size of clothing

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 11:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I have to agree with the clothing, I used to pay a LOT to get the 6X, 60+pants etc.

In addition, it's was an eye opener to discover that scientific establishments have other motives than just pure science.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 13:20
Registered Member

Stats: 250/205/135
BF:
Progress:
Talking

My migraines are gone! I've only had three since Jan. and I used to get them everyday. Now I only get occasional headache. That alone gives me enough reason to stay on this way of life!
Oh but don't get me wrong, I love having more energy and loose clothing!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 13:34

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

i love having carb cravings under control. i used to eat 1/2 a loaf of calabrese bread before my pasta dinner! around 4:00 i'd go into carb overload. i'd be so out of control. i don't obsess about food like i did on lowfat. once i've decided what's for dinner, i like to figure this out early in the a.m., i don't think about food all the time.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 05:32

BF:

Oh heavens,

I truly was hoping for more answers then this. Please folks come and help me out, this is for a business plan and I thought you folks would be great for a survey
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 05:55

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Sorry Wendy, I was a bit under the weather this weekend with tummy upset.

I have only been on the diet for 2 weeks so far. I haven't really noticed any major changes yet. Clothes aren't as tight as they use to be. I still feel like I don't get enough sleep at night. All in all that is about it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 07:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hey Wendy,

I've been mulling this one over, and I honestly have to say that I couldn't think of any character or characteristics change. Then I started to type out this blurb, and some things began revealing themselves to me ...

Lowcarbing truly is my way of life; how I choose to shop, cook and eat. Grocery and restaurant choices are no more of an issue than selecting foods I like and want to eat, and requesting that foods I do NOT like or want to eat be withheld. Granted, there are still a few significant others in my life who choose to MAKE it an issue; I suspect their motivations stem more from either control (food = "love", you don't like my cooking = you don't love me) or insecurity or twinges of guilt about their own food choices (you're no fun to go out with, you never order dessert). In the first case, I love the person's cooking, I just don't like mashed potatoes. In the second, I think I'm a bloody riot to go out with, and besides, an evening out is more about the concert or show, and gabbing over coffee NOT the "Death by Chocolate" dessert.

So, to that end, I believe that lowcarbing is my CHOICE, my way of eating, and the opinions of others really don't matter any more. Truthfully, I don't feel particularly compelled to explain to people why I choose to eat the way I do; I just smile, continue eating and change the subject. If someone commented or wanted to know how come I don't put salt on my food, or why I have a rather heavy hand with the pepper mill, I'd simply say "because I like it". Same with lowcarbing. End of story, and no defensiveness either .... because my answer is truthful. Feeling the need to defend every bite that goes in one's mouth is stressful, and NOT good for the digestion.

That being said, I still LOVE Ruffles potato chips, and nachos. I always will. But I've calmed down about it. I now know that (to me) it's no longer a matter of "I can't have those ever again" or that those foods are "bad". It's now become about CHOICE. For instance, I KNOW that if I buy a bag of Ruffles, I will binge and eat the whole bag at once (they don't put as much in there as they used to .. ) and will feel wretched afterward, bloated and intestinal gas to the point of being a social outcast. Then, I know that I would move on, my very next meal and very next day would be lowcarb as usual, and I'd accept and deal with any consequences with the scale and/or tape measure. I guess this means that those foods and the desire to eat them is no longer in control of ME, I am in control of them. Right now, I CHOOSE to not eat chips, because the negative consequences outweigh my desire to eat them. Perhaps someday, I will want Ruffles more than anything in the world, so fine, buy a small bag, eat them, drink lots of water, and wear elasticized waist pants for the next two days. And don't grumble when the scales go up, and for goodness' sake, don't use one bag of chips as an excuse to abandon my lowcarb life.

Now, this next may be helpful for your business plan, not sure. That is, my shopping habits have changed. And I'm not just talking about the obvious food choices thing. I'm one of those practical folk, who plans a shopping route to include the important stops along the way. Gas prices are rising hourly, and I refuse to drive all over the city looking for lowcarb specialty items. I'll go without instead. I mostly shop at my neighbourhood NoFrills or Food Basics for the produce, eggs, tuna, chicken, froz. fish and the like, and a local butcher shop for fresh meats and additive-free dairy products. I'm very fortunate that in my city, we have an excellent natural foods store, where the ingredients are fresh (and dated, so you know how long it's been on the shelf) and handled correctly (perishable items are properly refrigerated, etc) but it's in the downtown core, where traffic and parking are a nightmare.

If there was a lowcarb specialty shop in my area, well-located (a mall springs to mind, or any place where parking is convenient) and the shop carried commonly used, basic lowcarb supplies as mentioned elsewhere (the sugar-free treats and highly processed Frankenfoods, bread mix, pasta are nice, but definitely an infrequent splurge) anyway, I would definitely become a regular patron. Doubt that I would be into the drop-in, sit and chat over coffee thing, but the idea of weekly or monthly lowcarb workshops intrigues me. In fact, if I lived in your town, I'd be offering to help you do it, and in fact Wendy, I'm never more than an email away, if I can be of any help or source of ideas for it ...

Anyway, I must stop typing now

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 08:05

BF:

Thank-you Doreen,

Very well put. I too notice that I shop for food more wisely, yet get frustrated at looking for certain things I want in this woe. I too have urges to still have things not on this woe, and do believe I can indulge to get rid of the feelings of going without. What's a day or two like you said. Doesn't mean I have given up on this woe, that's for sure

Thanks for the input of the diet work shops. I am torn between the two, whether to have the two going or just one? Same with the clothes. At first I thought of a line of clothes for incentive, then I thought well heck, we all can't go buying new clothes just cause we are a size smaller but yet not at our goal. Naturally these things have to be washed and in good repair, yuck like I would wear something yucky...LOL Still undecided on this last one! I think more input is needed here to get some sort of percentage of what folks would like to have.

Gosh I would love help on this. In fact today I am feeling a bit frustrated as I have the executive part done and history done on the business plan, but need so much more help. I may pop into a place we have here in town to sit and chat with someone for more guidance? I may just feel a bit excited too and overwhelmed...LOL

Thanks again everyone for your help.

#11   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 11:12

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Sorry, Wendy, I didn't realize this survey was meant to be support for your business; I thought it was just musings, and I haven't been feeling particularly 'musy' the past few days...

Well, like others, I think the biggest and best change for me is the feeling that I'm in control of what I eat, not the other way around; unlike every other 'diet' I've ever been on, I don't obsess about food, possibly because I'm never hungry or feeling deprived. The loose clothes are definitely a plus....

Because there's a bit less of me to drag around, I'm feeling fitter and more energetic; I leap lightly off the bus (well, that was 6 weeks ago, they're still on strike!) instead of fumbling my way down, and my feet hurt less (or not at all) when I've been walking for a long time. I was starting to feel middle-aged and 'matronly,' which I don't any more; I feel younger. (OK, I AM middle-aged and matronly, by definition, but who wants to look it?)

I like the idea of a clothing exchange, but I've always felt comfortable with wearing second-hand clothing, and I know not everyone does. I think it would be fun to have somewhere I can play 'dress up.'

Oh, gee, how could I forget - I've met YOU guys! Low carbing has brought some fun new people into my life, what a plus!

Rachel
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 19:55

Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

More clear headed throughout the day. No cravings. No urgent feelings of hunger. At my school there is usually stuff to eat at staff meetings: muffins, juice, cookies, all the usual carby things. It doesn't bother me to bypass all that stuff. I did have a thought the other day, as spring weather suggested all those lovely days in parks and beaches in Vancouver, of Terra bread sandwiches. I just love, with a deep, enduring love, a Terra baguette sandwich filled with salami, cheese and roasted peppers. Or the smoked turkey. What the hell. I've been falling off the wagon in minor ways, and for some inexplicable reasons actually dropped a couple of pounds while I was in the middle of the guilt. Back in ketosis. So, I guess somewhere in the summer coming up I'll just eat that Terra bread sandwich and get back on induction to repair. The clearhead thing is a big plus for me though. I used to have a post carb crash in the middle to late afternoon and I remember thinking, this is what it must feel like to be mentally impaired. I'd try to think, but couldn't focus my mind. A major deficit in my job as I need to be sharp minded all day long. It became really clear to me what an effect carbs had on my eating habits and insulin levels. All smoothed out now.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 08:12

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%

Characteristic Changes? Well, the most important one is: I am in control. I don't really "count" carbs, I just know what's bad for me and what's good.

I love being in control and not having to rely on a GROUP like WW to weigh me and make me pay them for it when I have a perfectly good scale here at home (two actually).

I take a pro-active approach to my health care and love what this is doing for my diabetes. I love being able to tell people "diet? what diet? I'm not on a diet, I'm just eating stuff that's good for me."

Wendy, here's a though ... why not have a little cafe in your storw where one can pop in and have a LC lunch while they do their LC shopping?

Just a thought ...
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 08:54

Plan:
Stats: 182/179/140
BF:
Progress:
Default my changes

Today is only my 9th day, I am still on induction, the first week I really lacked energy. The last few days have been amazing, I can't beleive the difference on my energy levels.
I don't feel starving all the time either and I am in control of what I eat. I have lost 5-6 pounds. My clothes don't feel loser maybe because I was bulging out of them anyway.

I can't wait to see more positive changes and progress with my new way of eating
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 10:19

BF:

Hi Norma June,

Welcome back

Yes I do have thoughts on a cafe sort of thing. The drop in center, where one can sit and have a LC drink and treat.

I had an appt. today and boy talk about research I must do. I knew of some things, but my eyes got widened with that much more. So much to do (sigh).

Anyone know of a LC store up and running anywhere?