Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 12:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%
Default wierd urine

Ok, don't mean to gross you out... but went pee and I could see what looked like a small oil slick on top of the water... Do you think that's my "stored energy" (fat) being peed out? If so, how cool is that?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 12:45

Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%

oh yeah, and it's not like I sit there and stare at it, the light caught it, and I just noticed it. FYI
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 13:12

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

hahahahahaha.... Ok, that has happened to me a few times, I was curious about that as well!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 13:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Nope, you don't excrete body fat, you consume it for fuel.

No idea what you're seeing.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 13:26

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I guess Shelley were just weird pee'rs!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 18:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Yes, you can excrete fat. Fat breaks down and is cleaned out of the system. The fat excreted can come from the food you eat or the broken down fat that is not used for fuel.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 19:24
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I had that happen to me today too. It weirded me right out.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 16:27
Registered Member

Stats: 211/197.5/185 Male 69
BF:18
Progress: 52%

Is this the same as a foamy urine? That is what I experience...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 08:58

Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Nyc10034, foamy urine is a sign of protein in the urine. This is NOT normal, and you should have it checked by a doctor! Your kidneys should not "waste" protein--it is your liver's job to break it down--healthy kidneys will conserve all the protein in the blood and bring it back to the liver for processing. The "foam" is the protein (albumin) being "whipped" (like the albumin in egg whites) by the urination process (esp in a boy peeing from a standing position, the urination process really agitates the urine--I know TMI but hell it's just biology guys).

Of course, I am talking about "foam" that does not disperse in the toilet--not just temporary bubbles, but actual foam that "holds up," just like very airy whipped egg whites would.

Shelley, about your "oil slick" pee--are you taking any supplements? it is possible you are wasting the excess in your urine, and if the stuff is not perfectly soluble in your urine, it will collect in an "oil slick."

But I would like to think of it as fat-wasting too. And I will, if I ever notice an oil slick in my own urine

Nyc, tell us what the doc says.

Lucy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 11:18
Registered Member

Stats: 211/197.5/185 Male 69
BF:18
Progress: 52%
Post Lab tests

Oh no. That does not sound good. I had lab tests done on Sept. 17, 2004, which was done 2 weeks into Atkins(induction) and these were my results:
Cholesterol 120 total. HDL-62/LDL-47/LDL to HDL Ratio-.77
Glucose 61
Creatinine 308.80
Everything else was in the normal range except for what I posted above. For the above, the lab results(sheet) reads my cholesterol is low, HDL is high, LDL is low, LDL/HDL ratio is low, glucose low, and creatinine is 8.80 over the normal range of 10-300 mg. I have to remind you that I do urinate foamy at times, NOT all the time. The doctor did say my creatinine was a little high, but nothing to be worried about. hmmm... I will continue to monitor this myself before receiving a doctor's opinion.

Last edited by nyc10034 : Thu, Oct-28-04 at 12:33. Reason: More information
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 21:54

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

There had been a post a while back about pissing oil slicks, which I had never experienced until a few days ago. I was quite happy to see it.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 00:15

NYC, that is a very odd number for creatinine. Normal is less than 1.6 in most labs. 308 is just bizarre. Are you sure you are reading it right? Even if the units are off, and your creatinine is 3.08, this is very abnormal for a healthy young man.

Creatinine is a measure of kidney function. Whatever the real creatinine value is, your doctor said it was abnormal; combined with the foamy urine, it seems even more urgent to be rechecked by your doc. Kidney function can deteriorate quickly (over hours or days, much less the 2+ months which have elapsed since you had your blood checked).

Again, this foamy urine could be nothing; and your kidney function might be fine. But I really think you should check it out--at least check in with your doc by phone, and see if s/he wants you to have another blood (or urine) test.

Hey--and double-check those creatinine results, wouldja? You got me curious. And post the units?

Lucy
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 00:35
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

It's probably just excess dietary fat being excreted, the same thing that will give a false reading of ketosis, even when you're doing Atkins properly, a lot of the time your urine will have enough fat to turn ketostik purple or leave an oily residue in the toilet without you being in ketotis and of course you can be in ketosis and not lose weight - people seem to forget that.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 00:55

Eureka! I bet I have figured out your mysterious creatinine results, NYC.

I bet you are reading the results for "Creatine Phosphokinase" (CPK), which is a muscle breakdown product and certainly 300ish would not be worrisome in an active young man (working out causes microdamage to muscles and makes the CPK level rise).

The names are similar, but creaTINE phosphokinase does not = creaTININE.

Okay, now I can sleep

Lucy

PS Oh, and BTW, since you say your urine is foamy only sometimes, perhaps it occurs only when you have a lot of urine in your bladder--pressure can cause velocity, which can cause bubbles. But...if you notice that the foam doesn't break down (like ordinary bubbles would), you should check with your doc.

Cheers
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 04:17

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley J
Ok, don't mean to gross you out... but went pee and I could see what looked like a small oil slick on top of the water... Do you think that's my "stored energy" (fat) being peed out? If so, how cool is that?

From what I have heard, the more we drink, the more fat we loose. I am not a scientist but I have been told, time and time again, that water (and O2, oxygen) are the vehicles that rid our bodies of fat. Anyone with any factual data, PLEASE, reiterate what I just stated. Therefore, in my happily ignorant opinion, the more I (drink & breathe, the more I lose) pee, the more toxins/fatty crap I release. Anyone???