Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 22:22

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Question In and out of ketosis? (Stix question)

(Sorry if some of you have seen this question on the Atkins board; I didn't get any responses there, so am trying again!)

Hmm, either I have a bad batch of Ketostix, or I'm swinging in and out of ketosis.

I had my first and only big-carb day on Saturday (my birthday), and went straight back on induction Sunday. Since then, the stix have shown "trace" ketones about half the time and "none" the other half; I can be in ketosis at night and out of it in the morning!

Before my big-carb day, for six weeks I was *always* in the "small" or "moderate" amount range.

I'm not cheating at all, my carbs are always 20g or below, no caffeine, no alcohol, no frankenfoods of any kind.

I don't understand how it would be possible to go into ketosis and then out (over and over for several days) unless carbs were introduced back into the system, which they have not been.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 23:48

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

The stix don't directly measure ketosis, just ketones in your urine. You are probably never leaving ketosis, you are probably just not excreting any for the stix to read.

It is one of the common misconceptions. You don't have to turn your ketostix purple at all, either to be in ketosis or to lose weight.