Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 06:11

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Unhappy CAN"T SLEEP??

I'm on day 2 of induction....and I can't sleep!! It's now 4 am here in Oregon and its going to get light out soon. I'm normally a night owl, but never this bad. I couldn't sleep last night either, and I've been shaky and have body aches similar to the flu---not really bad, but noticable. I took some calcium/mag suppliments and potassium, it made the aches better, but this sleeping problem sucks!

It's a good thing this is happening this week, my vacation before school and work starts again.....but I really need to regulate my sleep schedule asap, or I'm going to be hating life come Monday.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do (already took hot bath, drank tea, burned this "relaxation candle")? DId anyone else get insomnia their first couple days?

Thanks in advance for the advice, Grace
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 06:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default sleep

I have to be honest how I felt the first few days, as unfortunately I've forgotten, BUT I do know that I now have a wonderful sleep most nights. Other than the occasional washroom trip I sleep really good. I find since I've been lowcarbing my body is much warmer too, so I think that helps have a sounder sleep, especially nice in the winter.

Hopefully, your body will adjust quickly. Perhaps someone else will have experienced this and be able to give you some better advice.

Hang in there!! The first few days are definitely the toughest.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: modified atksin
Stats: 309/290/135
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default sleepless nights

i had the same problem for a couple of weeks the first time on atkins. i don't know if it is the extra energy or what. i also was pretty sick from day 3 to about day 6. flu like symptoms but it does pass. This time around (on week 2) i haven't experienced any of it and hope i don't.

Good Luck and keep a good book handy.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 09:19

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

My first week I had the same symptoms. I felt week and tired. I would lay down a lot just to get away from the cravings, but.....
around day 7-10 something wonderful happened. I woke up feeling bright and cheery, had more energy than I have had in yrs. I do stay up longer (because I now have more energy, and I'm not dead by 9pm), but I sleep better than I have in a long time (no more acid reflux, no more asthma, no more tossing and turning because my body no longer starts to ache half way through the night). Stay with it. It gets A LOT better.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 10:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi Grace,

The others have given you the best suggestions. Do make sure you're drinking lots and lots of water ... bare minimum 8 - 8 oz glasses over-and-above any other liquids you're consuming. Beware some of those herbal "relaxation" teas ... sometimes they can have the opposite effect. Especially if it contains chamomile (related to ragweed), or valerian ... which can cause allergic reaction. Passionflower (passiflora), scullcap and catnip (nepeta) are fine.

Have you given up caffeine as part of Induction? Sometimes caffeine withdrawal can cause transient insomnia as part of the detox process. Keep hydrated with lots of water to flush out the toxins.

Are you snacking at night? That's ok, as long as it's protein and/or fat. Carbs consumed at night will cause an overnight insulin spike, and this can cause some unpleasant symptoms. So, try to eat your 20g carbs earlier in the day, and have protein for the evening snack if you have one.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:45

Default feeling a tad better

Thanks guys for the replies....

No, I actually didn't have any snacks within 3 hours of bedtime, which is really weird for me. I have always been a late night overeater, but I am trying to make a consious effort to not do that anymore (all that food just sitting in your stomache overnight...blech). I had a cup of coffee early in the day, but what I suspect may have been the culprit (at least last night compared to the night before) is the green tea I drank at around 10 pm. It is fairly caffeinated, and while I'm not sensitive to caffeine generally I think I am *right now*. I've been trying to think of this whole experience as a sort of DETOX, which makes it at least tolerable, since I know it is temprorary!

Yay, the food cravings are going away, Grace
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: feeling a tad better

Quote:
Originally posted by gracie-poo
.....what I suspect may have been the culprit (at least last night compared to the night before) is the green tea I drank at around 10 pm. .
Hmmm ... caffeine on an empty stomach at bedtime. Yup, that'll do it!!

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 17:45
Registered Member

BF:
Default new recipe

i threw this together the other night and think it is ok as far as cards/fat but wanted some other input.

i diced chicken and broiled it in the skillet with butter/water and then drained off and dropped in a tablespoon of peanut butter, let it melt and it was delicious. tasted "fairly" close to the peanut butter chicken at one of the local chinese restaurants. i told some friends at work and they looked a little green but i loved it.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 17:46

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hey... Thanks for mentioning about eating carbs too late in day.

Just lately I've been having trouble sleepng (was sleeping like a baby before) but now I've been eating my dinner much later-- about 7:00 pm ( I have a hard time getting my 3 meals in---just not hungry) Guess I'll try adding some more carbs to my lunch and stick with just protein for dinner.

Ellie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 17:50
Registered Member

BF:

ellieeats,

i have the same problem. i eat a nice size breakfast of 2 eggs scrambled and 2 patties of sausage with LOTS of water around 7:30 in the am and I am not hungry again til around 2:00. I have been making myself eat some protein at lunch around 12:30 but could definately skip. should i just wait until i am hungry or eat a little something every couple of hours. before when i was on the program i think i stalled really quickly (after induction) because I wasn't getting enough calories but not positive.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:06

BF:

I don't know what to tell you, Mdx.....
I have a terrible time getting in 3 meals ... and when I tried to make it more meals and smaller, I just ended up with 3 smaller meals!!
What I'm trying (starting today) is to get all my carbs in before 5:00 pm and then just have protein and fats after that.
This AM.. I had my 2 eggs scrambled w/ mushrooms.
For lunch... roast chicken breast w/ skin and a big salad-- 2 1/2 cups romaine, 1/4 cup mushrooms, 1 oz. shredded parm. cheese, and dressing.
Now I won't get hungry until maybe 7-7:30 (and not very) so I'll just have a little more chicken.
I'll see if this works---- to help me sleep better AND maybe get this weight moving again!! Been the same for weeks!!!
Also starting regular excercise program on Monday!!
Let me know if you find something else that works---- always find me in my journal!!
Would love to hear more from you!!
Ellie
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:20

BF:

Mdx....
The peanut butter chicken sounds delicious!!!!!
I totally love peanut butter!!!! Now... you are using sugar- free, all natural???
I hope someone jumps in cuz I don't know if this is okay or not BUT if it is, I'm trying it!!!!
I think I could do that with chicken thats already cooked too.-- just reheat in the skillet and melt the peanut butter.
I hope someone checks this out!!
Ellie
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:25

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Peanut butter chicken

Take that recipe one more step;

If you take a small amount of peanut butter (chunky) add some vegetable oil, water, red pepper flakes, squirt of lemon juice, and some fresh ground garlic- mix in a blender and THEN add it to your chicken- it is awesome!!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 15:29

Default Natural PB?

Hey, a recommendation on the peanut butter (that is, if they have it in your area, I do know it is here on the west coast):

Adam's It is all natural, no sugar and not made with hydrogenated oils unlike all the major brands (ie Jiff, Skippy). It's really yummy, and they've been selling it in regular grocery stores up here since I was a kid.

#15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 15:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks for the suggestions

gracie, kassy, and ellie.

thanks so much for the improvements on the peanut butter chicken.

I will look for the brand of peanut butter you were talking about but I live in a pretty conservative area as far as foods go in central Mo and haven't even been able to find the atkins flour and other such. only one place in town carries the atkins low carb shakes and they are over 3.00 a can!!!

Can't wait to try it with the pepper flakes/garlic/etc.

DON'T DO THIS ONE. I TRIED TO "IMPROVE" ON MY RECIPE LAST NIGHT WHEN I MADE IT AGAIN AND PUT THE DICED RAW CHICKEN IN A WHIPPED EGG THINKING IT WOULD BROWN BETTER!!!! YUK HAD SCRAMBLED EGG WITH PEANUT BUTTER.......LESSON LEARNED!!! ONLY HAVE TO BITE ME IN THE PATOOTIE ONCE

checking message from work right now but will try to get back on line tonite! you folks give me strength and i will check out your journals tonite.