Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 14:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/187/125 Female 5'3''
BF:230/187/120
Progress: 35%
Default When should we weigh ourselves?

undefined

I was just wondering, how often should we weigh ourselves? I was thinking that a monthly weigh in would be best but then I have doubts...I think every two weeks would be best.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 14:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 56//! Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

i weigh myself only once a week... on the SAME scale... every monday morning. and i only trust the weighted doctor type of scale. i'm almost sure that if you stood on 10 different digital scales, you'd get 5 different weights. (but that's just me.) i tend to obssess about the scale, so i won't have one in my house.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 15:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you're going to go monthly, I suggest weighing in right after your TOM, so any water weight gain has time to be released.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 17:55
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

A lot depends on how YOU respond to what the scale says. If you're the type of person that will get depressed if you step on the scale one day and see a 2lb gain, then space out your weigh-ins. If you're like me and a "up" scale I use as a reason to add exercise or be tighter with what I eat, then you can weigh every day.

....bottom line, it's up to you..but that's my 2 cents worth!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 18:17
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

For myself I do it once a week on a Sunday after a potty visit and nude. Since I am a creature of habit it's usually the same time each week. Sometimes is not the result I was hoping for but usually I am happy. Normally it's a pound or nothing (I'm a slow loser) except this week when 5lbs went missing and I am not about to send out a search party.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 18:18

Stats: 220/187/125 Female 5'3''
BF:230/187/120

Kristine,

Thanks for the advice but can you elaborate more on why is it more important after your TOM?

I always thought that as long as you weigh yourself in the morning and in the nude and definitely not while your PMS'ing then it was ok?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 20:50

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Because during TOM there is usually a gain of water weight. I weigh daily and can always tell when TOM is coming because I go up 2-3 lbs before and during. Can be discouraging.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 22:08

Plan: Atkins now SB (trying)
Stats: 173/145.5/125 Female 5'2 (Still) lol
BF:
Progress: 57%

LOL - I'm on it almost everyday!!! Thats a bad thing.....I think once a week is fine...but others do it once a month, once every two weeks etc....its really up to you...and as said above....if you don't overreact to what it says sometimes....get on it as often as you want! JUST MAKE SURE YOU MEASURE!!!! I think thats the most important thing to do. The scale may fluctuate - but the measuring tape doesn't lie!!! & its great to see how many inches you lose....even if the scale doesn't budge....and there WILL be days / weeks where the scale won't move !!! Its maddening!

Last edited by Ms Sarah : Sun, Jul-11-04 at 22:09. Reason: typos
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 23:54

Stats: 279/269/160 Male 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm going against what most people say to do on this board, and I weigh myself every day. But, I don't "count" the weight every day as being absolute. I have a good digital scale but I know it's not 100% accurate. The main reason that I weigh in every day is I use a software program and put it in each day. The program generates graphs for a weight loss trend and doesn't focus on each individual weight entry. But, this doesn't work for many people. I know the majority of people just go nuts weighing every day if there is a day with a 2 or 3 pound gain. I would think a month would be hard to do though -- a long time between checking progress.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 03:32
Registered Member

Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

I weigh myself just befor I'm tempted to eat a high carb meal.

Lez
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 03:58

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I weigh everyday but only do an 'official' weigh in every week. I've had my husband hide the scales on me for almost a month and it was a great relief not to be a slave to the thing. I have to be careful because I have cheated in the past, because of a gain on the scale (which could very well have been just a 'blip').

Like everybody else has said, it all depends on your reaction to the scale.

After TOM is definitely a good idea. This month I weighed the day before TOM (this past Thursday am) and it had me at 183.5 - now TOM is here and I've lost 4.5 lbs in just those 3 days - if you were weighing yourself only once a month, which reading would YOU prefer???
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 04:54

Plan: Atkins, Now Medical Weigh
Stats: 217/206.4/170 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 23%

I've tried weighing myself only once a week, but it doesn't never seem to work out that way. I just can't help weighing myself when I pass my scales. I only take my morning readings seriously because I know that I will weigh differently throughout the day. If I see a weight gain in the morning, it motivates me to exercise a little more.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 06:38

Stats: 239/168.2/150 Female 5'7
BF:whoa boy
Progress: 80%

I weigh in every day, first thing in the morning. This can be problematic as the scale does fluctuate, often times for reasons beyond our control or without explanation. If you can battle off urge to cheat or scale-induced depression, only then can you handle the daily weigh-in.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 07:08
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

When I first started this WOL I weighed every morning. With an official weigh in every Monday morning. However, after several weeks, and feeling more comfortable and confident in this plan, I no longer weigh with any regularity. I know that as long as I am following the plan I will loose weight. I also know that I will eat this way for the rest of my life, so I am in no hurry to chart my progress. I already feel so great, I find I don't need that scale to put its 2 cents in.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 08:34

Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%

I weigh (and measure!) every Friday morning... that way, any damage I did over the weekend has been evened out by how good I've been during the week.