Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 17:17

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%
Smile Atkins and Water: Why it Works

I found this and thought it looked interesting and thought it might answer some questions or concerns about water consumption.

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/hom...erburnscalories

The secret to shedding pounds may be in a glass of water. Drink the right amount and you'll burn more calories. That's the word from scientists at Berlin's Franz-Volhard Clinical Research Center, who have scientifically shown that people who drink two liters of water a day burn an extra 150 calories daily. How? Metabolism. Water seems to stimulate the sympathetic nerve system that regulates metabolism, report Ananova and the German magazine Men's Health. Think about it: Almost every diet encourages drinking lots of water, but there have been few scientific studies on why this is important and effective for weight loss.

In this German study, 14 healthy, normal-weight men and women were tested for the effect of water drinking on adipose tissue metabolism. Led by Dr. Michael Boschmann, the research team found that the people who drank 500 ml of water increased their metabolic rate by 30 percent. (Metabolic rate is the rate at which calories are burned.) The increase occurred within 10 minutes and reached a maximum after 30 to 40 minutes. Lipids or burning more fat primarily fueled the increase in metabolic rate in men, while in women the breakdown of carbohydrates were the energy source. This increased rate of metabolism was responsible for burning off the excess calories. Interestingly, as much as 40 percent of the increase in calorie burning is caused by your body's attempt to heat the water you just drank.

But here's the gotcha: It has to be water. Carbonated water and all other drinks, including soft drinks, actually had a negative effect. Do note that the impact on weight loss of drinking two liters of water daily is modest at best and the findings are preliminary, but it could have important implications for many types of weight loss programs. The research findings were published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

How much water should you drink every day? The latest study from researchers at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City concludes that the old standby of eight glasses a day still holds. Here's the surprising gotcha: If you don't drink enough water, the greatest effect may not be physical--it's mental and emotional.

Drink just half the recommended amount of water, and you'll likely suffer from mild dehydration. You'll also have less energy, and you won't be able to concentrate and focus as you normally would.

"For people who aren't exercising a lot or living in a very warm climate, eight glasses of water a day may be a good rule of thumb," lead researcher Dr. Wayne Askew told Reuters. If you do exercise and sweat a lot, then you need more than eight glasses to properly hydrate your body. Our bodies need water, primarily because water makes up more than 70 percent of solid body tissue. It helps regulate body temperature, carries nutrients and oxygen to cells, removes waste, cushions joints, and protects organs and tissues, explains Reuters. Too little water can cause headaches, grogginess, and dry, itchy skin. When we become severely dehydrated, it can affect our blood pressure, circulation, digestion, kidney function, and nearly all body processes.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jul-04-04 at 18:19. Reason: Providing link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 17:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/149/135 Female 5 feet 3.5 inch
BF:39 %/28%/
Progress: 86%

Great post thanks, gives me even more reason to up my water consumption now 2 liters is equal to how many ounces?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 17:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

1 liter/litre is about5 33.3 ounces.
So 2 litres is 66.6 ounces or 66.6/28 = 2.37 quarts US
(2 litres Canadian or 1.66 quarts Imperial)
Easier is:
1 cup US = 8 ounces so 1 liter = 4 x 8 ounce glasses
1 cup Imp. = 10 ounces so 1 liter = 3.5 x 8 ounce glasses

Boy, if H2O can make me lose, just call me WaterGirl!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 17:42

Stats: 2//50 Female 60''
BF:
Progress: 44%

Thanks for the article, Rick.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 17:43
Registered Member

Stats: 195/145/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Yep, I follow the water plan religiously. I've never had problems drinking water even before atkins, I average around 3-4 liters of water everyday.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 18:06
Rock, Ya'll

Stats: 278/273/178 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
I found this and thought it looked interesting and thought it might answer some questions or concerns about water consumption.

Bingo! - It did.

I've been consuming lots of water per the instructions but wondering why. I thought perhaps it was to just give myself a false sense of 'fullness' and for me I'd decided that was enough, but it sure is nice to know there's a lot more to it than that.

Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 18:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Interesting study, but raises some questions. It was my understanding that metabolic rate increases measurably any time you eat or drink. How does this compare to the increase in metabolism that comes from various foods?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 20:09

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I wonder why carbonated water would have a negative effect? I assume that means unsweetened, no caffeine, just regular sparkling mineral water or soda water. Strange.

Now I'm eyeing my mineral-water-with-LemonLime da Vinci-syrup very suspiciously...
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 21:20
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 280/227.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Water meant nothing to me before I started low-carb'ing. Then I started 10 mo. ago and I looked at it as something that I needed to help me with my weight loss. Now it means life to me. I feel like I'm being so good to myself when I give my body water. I was so naive to think water was not important to my health. I can't think of anything to drink that is as beneficial for my health as water. Perhaps green tea comes to mind, even though I don't know too much about it. There is no benefit in drinking anything else (in my opinion).
Sabrina
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I have two 64 oz mugs. I keep one at work and one at home. I fill my work one up when I start my shift and the one at home I fill up when I wake up in the evening. I make sure that I drink the whole thing during the night.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 22:49
Atkins Groupie

Stats: 265/250/150 Female 5'-6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thank you Rick! That is a very interesting article. Kind of bolsters my idea that "running to the bathroom" ought to be considered exercise
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 08:11
Hanging in there

Stats: //130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%

great post thanks...and good luck to you!!! I drink seltzer, now i'm wondering if I should drink more water too...oh well...thanks anyway you gave me something to think about
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 08:22

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Good article But..... I don't know if I agree with the carbonated water thing.... that is pretty much all I drink...carbonated spring water, minimum 2 L a day and feel awesome for it!! Tons of energy to burn, no dehydration.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 14:45

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Oh, I squeeze a bit of lime juice to the bubbly stuff.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 17:12

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajrio
Great post thanks, gives me even more reason to up my water consumption now 2 liters is equal to how many ounces?

2 Liters is equal to 8 8 oz glasses of water