Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 07:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308.6/299.2/199 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default How many atkins shakes do you drink if any?

This is my second week of re induction, and I am finding it very difficult to eat any food. I am just not hungry, never thought I would say that LOL. Anyway, knowing full well I need to get something in my body for the last two days, I have opted for an atkins shake for breakfast, and lc bar for lunch and then whatever meat and veggie for dinner. Does anyone else use the atkins shakes? I really like them. I know they arent allowed on induciton, but It was that or nothing cause food was nauseating to me.

Last edited by krs10ne : Sun, Jun-27-04 at 07:23. Reason: I forgot shakes in the title!! LOL!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 09:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

You didn't ask about the lack of lunch. Those low carb bars dont make a lunch.
The shakes are often a good alternative for a meal or snack(they are less then 200cal).But you should be making an effort to follow the induction rules for the full two weeks-it will help you to continue your low carb plan-this starvation for the first 10 hours of your day will just make you 'explode" with a cheat that will knock you off plan.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 10:54

Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

The shakes are just tooo darn expensive for me, and besides if I had one every day I would be affraid of falling into my old habits of eating, it is a good thing to break the sweet tooth habit if you have one, follow induction, it really works, then after you have done a true induction, add a little of the things you might want to try, like the shakes, the nauseau should go away, it might be just you adjusting to no caffine etc.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 10:57

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I'm doing a clean induction - today is the first day and my husband and I are VERY hungry. Try sticking to the original allowed foods (no Frankenfoods) and I bet your appetite will return.

Jen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 11:28

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I don't drink the Atkins shakes, I use EAS Carb Control shakes and love them. I usually grab one in the morning for breakfast (not good, but better than nothing). And sometimes will have one at night if I'm hungry or if I need to get my calories up. For breakfast, I combine the shake with heavy cream or sour cream and flaxseed.

Most don't use shakes even on Induction, but I've not had a problem. Without the shakes I'd go without breakfast most days, and I think that's worse than the shake.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 12:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

0. I couldn't stand them as shakes. I would occasionaly put 1 scoop into 1/2 cup of yogurt for a yummy mousse like thing.

For induction get rid of the bars definetly. The sweetness and sugar alcohols may keep you from losing and will make the cravings worse. Instead of a bar, why not have a hard boiled egg, a small salad, or such. Or even lunch meat rolled up with mayo.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 12:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

According to the Atkins website, the shakes and bars are not formulated to be meal replacements. They're okay on occasion, but I'd try to eat a small meal, even if you're not very hungry.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 13:27

Stats: 263/228/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm very much like the original poster. Once I start LCing, I lose my appetite for any food. I think it's because I've let my cravings dictate what I eat for so long, I don't know what to do when the cravings are gone.

I do use LC shakes to replace meals now and again. I like the SlimFast 2 net carb shakes better than Atkins, though. They seem to have less aftertaste. I also eat an Atkins bar every day for breakfast with a cup of decaf coffee. I hate eggs, bacon, and sausage so my breakfast options are sometimes limited...especially when I'm on the run.

I'm sure it would be better to eat "real" foods, and when I'm home, I will eat celery with cream cheese for breakfast sometimes--but if the option is bars and shakes or nothing at all or worse, high carb, I'll stick with the bars and shakes.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 17:28

Stats: 308.6/299.2/199 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 9%

I know the LC bars arent "allowed" on induction, but I just figured it was best to eat something rather than nothing. And I work two jobs, so they are great for a grab and go type thing. I seriously have been having to force myself to eat, even those for the last 3 days. I love eggs, so the hard boiled egg thing, as simple as that is, is a great idea, I dont know why I didnt think of it.
Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 23:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Try keeping a plate of finger foods in your fridge. Make it up on the weekend, then have it ready all week for fast grabbing. Bacon wrapped scallops, deviled eggs, cheese stuffed celery, veggies with ranch dip, what ever.

What I found also saved me a ton of time was to broil up some chiken breasts on the week end. I used a different LC sauce for each one. Then I diced them up and kept them in the fridge for fast salad toppers, or just to grab as a snack to eat while on the go.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 05:13

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I drink 1/2 a one every day. I mix it with other protein powder + water. I do my work out at 7 a.m. on an empty stomach, go right into child care to do my shift and don't have a chance to eat til I get home at 11:30. So.... I sneak my protein shake while the kids aren't looking. (I work in child care at the gym). Woo hoo! Free family membership!