Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 00:53
Registered Member

Plan: 6:00PM BREAKFAST
Stats: 282/234/202 Male 6 feet 5 inches
BF:24%/16%/6%
Progress: 60%
Default 15 miles next saturday. Any issues

This is something I've been wanting to do for the past three weeks. My regular course is three miles and I want to walk it 5 times. It will take about 5 hours and I will be doing it on an empty stomach.

Will I see results, or will this just stimulate fat storage?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 02:26
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Stimulate fat storage?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 04:28

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Not a good idea IMO to do it on an empty stomach. There are much more effective ways to burn calories if that is what you are going for....
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 08:59

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am absolutely sure you will see immediate result: 2-8 lbs water weight loss - depending on the amount of water you drink during your walk. Then when you proprerly hydrated yourself, and got back your pre-walk weight be ready for a temporary (24-48 hours) 2-8 lbs water weight gain - your body's preventive reaction in case you want to do this again.

The "fat storage stimulation" you refer usually does not start from ONE long walk. On the other hand, if you plan to have long (2+hours) walks every weekend, be ready that your body might react by holding back fat. Even without weekend long walks, your body adapts very fast to regular walk/jog, becomes more and more efficient, using less and less fuel to cover the same distance.

May I ask how long was your longest walk during the last 3-4 weeks? It is not really recommended to increase the distance of your longest walk more than 3 miles at one a time. It could be hard on your legs, joints, etc.

Walking, jogging are wonderful activities with many advantages, but I would second mrschmelz: there are much more efficient ways to burn calories.

Take care:

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, Jun-23-04 at 07:57.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 07:54

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I should have elaborated a little more. If this is a goal of yours and something you want to do, then great please do it! But I would recomend eating a good medium sized meal 2 to 3 hours before you attempt it. Doing such long distance/time cardio in a fasted state is just asking to dip into the lean muscle mass IMO.

If calorie burning is what you are after then I would recomend trying some HIIT cardio on an empty stomach........say about 20 minutes worth. If you are unable to do HIIT cardio then at least eat something before doing hours of walking....your body will thank you for it
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 10:32
Registered Member

Plan: 6:00PM BREAKFAST
Stats: 282/234/202 Male 6 feet 5 inches
BF:24%/16%/6%
Progress: 60%

wont the body just burn off what I just ate, if I eat before the walk?

Question, on a walk like that, why would the body burn muscle and not fat for energy if I did it on an empty stomach?

Thanks for all the advice