Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 17:00

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default High-Fiber Cereal May Ward Off Diabetes

High-Fiber Cereal May Ward Off Diabetes

June 18, 2004 -- Eating a bowlful of high-fiber cereal may help prevent type 2 diabetes and other health problems in people at risk for developing the disease.

A new study showed eating a high-fiber cereal lowered insulin production and reduced blood glucose levels in men with elevated insulin levels, a condition known as hyperinsulinemia.

People with hyperinsulinemia are in danger of developing type 2 diabetes because the cells in their bodies are resistant to the effects of insulin and cannot process glucose (sugar) properly. This causes the pancreas to produce more insulin in order to compensate. High insulin levels and insulin resistance have also been associated with an increased risk of heart disease.

By lowering the rise in insulin and sugar levels that normally follows eating a meal high in carbohydrates, researchers say people at risk for developing diabetes may be able to ward off the disease and its complications. Other research has shown that exercise and the diabetes medication Glucophage are also effective at preventing diabetes in these people.

High-Fiber Cereal May Help Lower Insulin Levels

In the study, which appears in the June issue of Diabetes Care, researchers compared the effects of eating a high- or low-fiber ready-to-eat breakfast cereal in 77 men without diabetes. Forty-two of the men had elevated insulin levels.

The men with hyperinsulinemia were significantly heavier and had larger waistlines as well as lower HDL "good" cholesterol levels than the others. Being overweight is one of the biggest risk factors for diabetes, and HDL cholesterol is often low in people at risk for diabetes.

The study showed that blood sugar levels were significantly lower in all of the men after eating the high-fiber cereal than after eating the low-fiber cereal.

In addition, insulin production was significantly lower after eating the high-fiber cereal in the men with hyperinsulinemia than after eating the low-fiber cereal.

Researchers say the findings agree with previous studies showing that the effects of carbohydrate foods on blood sugar levels are the same in different people. But this study suggests that the effects of fiber- and carbohydrate-rich foods can have varying effects on insulin in different people.

"Longer-term studies are required before conclusions can be drawn as to whether a high-fiber breakfast cereal has any long-term benefits for the management of insulin resistance or obesity," write researcher Thomas M.S. Wolever, MD, PhD, of the University of Toronto, and colleagues.

The study was supported by General Mills and a grant from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.

SOURCE: Wolever, T. Diabetes Care, June 2004; vol 27: 1281-1285.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article...1C-9531713CA348}
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 19:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I believe this is true but I am sure that veggies could have the same effect.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 20:18

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've seen this sort of thing many times.

High-fiber cereal is better than low-fiber sugary cereal. Duh.

But no cereal at all is better still.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 21:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

No cereal at all may be better for some, but a lot of plans allow it, and I believe a change from a low-fiber cereal to high would be a real benefit for those who don't choose a low-carb diet.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-04, 01:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/165/133 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Walt
I've seen this sort of thing many times.

High-fiber cereal is better than low-fiber sugary cereal. Duh.

But no cereal at all is better still.

No cereal would be very bad for me. I don't eat it but I work for a large cereal factory (Weetabix for the people in the uk)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-04, 07:18

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
By lowering the rise in insulin and sugar levels that normally follows eating a meal high in carbohydrates, researchers say people at risk for developing diabetes may be able to ward off the disease and its complications.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what we're doing with low-carb?

Quote:
The study was supported by General Mills and a grant from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.

Uh huh, just more grain producers trying to convince us that eating their products will cure our ills as if they weren't the ones that helped create them.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-04, 08:02

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I wouldn't mind these comments if high fiber cereal really was high in fiber!

Look thru some of the "high fiber" cereals. If you're lucky it might have 3-5g of fiber.....but that's along with 20-40g of non-fiber carbs!

I'm sorry, for now I'll continue to get my fiber from veggies.