Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 14:35
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Fat Cells Question

I am posting this here because its more of a technical question than a LC question.

Now, from what I understand... Fat cells grow and grow until they get to a certain size and then they split and grow some more.

Now when we lose weight our fat cells shrink but they never go away, so that after your fat cells split a few times, no matter how thin you get, you will always have more fat cells than someone else who has always been thin (unless you get liposuction, which is the only way to get rid of fat cells from what I understand)

My question is this... Lets say that you gained 50 lbs and your fat cells split, then lets say you lost the 50 and then regained the same 50. Would your fat cells split again?

Basically will yoyo dieting increase the number of fat cells you have every time you put the weight back on? Or will the same cells just expand and shrink, since youve already been that weight at one point?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 15:02

Plan: Atkins HF/LP
Stats: 277/267/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

OMG This is so scary. I have been overweight since I was about 15. I have done every diet out there. My weight has went up and down so many times that I cannot count. Does this mean...when I finally succeed (& I will), I will have ripply, dimply skin with all of those fat cells?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Public release date: 23-Dec-2002
jdowner1~jhmi.edu
410-614-5105
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions

Cell division required, twice before fat cells mature

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...i-cdr122002.php

Johns Hopkins School of Medicine scientists have shown for the first time that primitive fat cells must copy themselves at least twice before they can mature into full-fledged fat-storing cells. The finding, published online the week of Dec. 23 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, may help provide new targets for understanding and treating obesity.

The finding also helps explain how the body ensures that it can always store fat, a key to surviving when food is scarce (and an unfortunate ability when it is not). By requiring a primitive fat cell to copy itself at least twice before it matures and can't divide anymore, nature ensures a ready reservoir of the cells, say the researchers. While proliferation of these cells has long been recognized, this is the first evidence that those divisions are necessary for the cells' maturation.

"Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, food is not scarce in many parts of the world, and storing the excess calories can lead to obesity and many serious associated health problems," notes Daniel Lane, Ph.D., professor of biological chemistry at the school's Institute for Basic Biomedical Sciences. "Our finding may lead to new ways to tackle obesity, since we now know a crucial step in the body's ability to store additional fat, but that step would have to be targeted specifically."

Studying mouse primitive fat cells in the laboratory, the team discovered that the genes necessary for storing fat were turned on only after at least two cycles of cell division. Interfering with cell division at various points in the cycle prevented the cells from maturing, says Qi-Qun Tang, M.D., Ph.D., assistant professor of pediatric endocrinology and biological chemistry at Hopkins.

When more calories are taken in than are burned, existing fat cells make and store more fat. But the body also recruits some primitive fat cells -- preadipocytes – to mature, which increases the capacity to store fat in general, explains postdoctoral fellow Tamara Otto, Ph.D. If preadipocytes can't or don't mature, the scientists hypothesize, the body might not be able to store extra fat. What effects this might have on weight, appetite or health remain to be seen.

Importantly, there seem to be biological differences between the cell divisions that allow preadipocytes to mature and those of other cell types, offering an opportunity to find a way to selectively prevent fat cells from forming, adds Tang.

"We're very interested in finding markers that distinguish preadipocytes from full-fledged fat cells," adds Lane. "We've found some, but they're in other types of cells, too. We're still looking for appropriate preadipocyte-only targets."

In a related paper, still in press, the researchers identify a gene responsible for making the cells divide, although there are likely others. This gene or its related protein could possibly be a target to prevent fat storage in animals, but much more work is necessary, the researchers add.

###

The research was funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Authors on the paper are Tang, Otto and Lane.

Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions' news releases are available on an EMBARGOED basis on EurekAlert at http://www.eurekalert.org and from the Office of Communications and Public Affairs' direct e-mail news release service. To enroll, call 410-955-4288 or send e-mail to bsimpkins~jhmi.edu.

On a POST-EMBARGOED basis find them at http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org

On the Web: http://www.pnas.org
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 15:20

Plan: Atkins HF/LP
Stats: 277/267/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Ok, I immediately started looking for information on this. I found this on a Liposuction website. This is what it says;
Quote:
The total number of fat cells in the human body does increase when a person gains a large amount of weight. The normal small daily or weekly fluctuations in a person’s weight usually associated with an incremental increase or decrease in the average size of the individual’s fat cells. However, there is a maximum size to which fat cells can grow. With significant weight gain new fat cells are created from fibroblasts. On the other hand when a patient loses a substantial amount of weight by dieting, the fat cells simply shrink in size but do not necessarily diminish in number. Thus if liposuction is done on a patient who had previously been obese but who had lost a considerable amount of weight by the time of liposuction , then the surgeon will typically need to remove the same number of fat cells as if the person had remained obese.

I really don't want liposuction.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 16:09

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

where is that number again, to apply for "Extreme makeover" ?

I think I will need Lipo all over when I m at goal......
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 16:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw
OMG This is so scary. I have been overweight since I was about 15. I have done every diet out there. My weight has went up and down so many times that I cannot count. Does this mean...when I finally succeed (& I will), I will have ripply, dimply skin with all of those fat cells?

No. It means you'll have a lot of empty fat cells.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 18:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%

Quote:
No. It means you'll have a lot of empty fat cells.

Exactly. Personally, I like women with a little fat on them and small breasts. Forget surgery. Good question tho Journey.

Last edited by woodpecker : Mon, Jun-21-04 at 18:20. Reason: good thought