Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 19:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%
Default Shallow Hal Movie

I went to the movie Shallow Hal the other night. Wasn't sure how I felt about someone's "inner beauty" being a twiggy, but it was funny and I got a kick out of it. Whether my inner beauty is thick or thin, it is beauty just the same, right? I actually found parts very sad when she was made fun of, or was embarrassed - reminded me of some of the things people in this forum have had said to them.

Was a good show all in all - just wanted to know if anyone else saw it?

MaryB
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 09:38
Registered Member

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 185/190/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:21%
Progress: -33%

Dear Mary,

I haven't seen the movie yet--waiting for it on video. But even the "Shallow Al" commercials are kind of thought provoking.

I remember when Oprah got thin and she was so proud and I'm thinking, "But that doesn't LOOK like Oprah." Then I read her diet book and I KNEW she would be heavy again, soon. Get up a 4 or 5 and do an hour of aerobics on an empty stomach every day? I don't think so! Eat from the USDA food pyramid and be healthy and thin? Not too likely! So, I guess I'm saying some people do look good with meat on their bones AND most diet and exercise advice, even if it works for awhile, and even if it comes from a high prices celebraty trainer, is not worth the effort.

Bill Pearl, famous bodybuilder from the 60s and still a well built man in his 60s, said, "Never start a radical program that you can't stay on day in and day out for the rest of your life." That's about the best advice I've heard. A sensible, liveable diet and active lifestyle that doesn't take too much time or cause injury is the only way to go. Cutting out the junk food has been the first place to start with "diets" since before I was born and it's still works.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 15:10

WOW- Bill Pearl sure gave us a "pearl of wisdom" with that line, huh!

How simple but how often overlooked is it that we have tried such difficult routines and diets only to FAIL....

I really feel that this WOL is just that - a WOL. Something you CAN do day in and day out. THAT'S where we will all succeed!

mb
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 13:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

I saw it, and I thought it was funny, but not as funny as I thought it was going to be. They should have shown the fat girl more often I thought that it had a lot of good points though.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 20:01

I know what you mean about thinking it would be funnier. I think they used ALL the funny parts in the previews, nothing left for suprise funnies!
The overall message was very positive, tho
mb
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 20:54
Pending Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 230/175/140
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default I saw it...

I saw the movie a few weeks back- basically because it was the only thing playing at the theatre my friend and I went to. I was surprised at how funny it was... cute and entertaining.

However, I was extremely disappointed in my friend who kept likening the overweight girl in the row in front of us with the lady in the movie- pointing out over and over again that it's hard to understand a good looking man (she was with one) ending up with someone who let themselves go like that.

I quickly pointed out that even 45 lbs heavier I never had trouble getting a fine man... that shut him up. Some people are buttheads...

Sorry for the tangent- but I did like the movie.