Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 20:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default "My doctor told me that doing the atkins diet would kill me"

That is what the girl at the Costco told me today!

When I asked her to embellish her claim, she said that she really had no idea why she would die, but that she just would. She said that aside from being a little overweight, that she was in perfectly good health otherwise.

This girl also pointed out to me that the channel 4 news had done a story recently about someone who was in perfect health, but that atkins alone had killed them. Naturally, this person could not name the cause of death or give me any details on it at all.

You know, I used to get a bit perturbed when people would come up with these ridiculous atkins stories, but now I just kind of blow them off.

TC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 20:35

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Yeah--kinda reminds me of the time my niece told my daughter that Dr. Atkins really died because his heart exploded. Then a couple of weeks later her mom looked into Atkins and started on it, LOL.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 22:39

Stats: 220.0/220/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Actually, a friend and I have been...debating atkins recently, and he mentioned a story where some guy was going to sue atkins cause he was in perfectly good health, went on atkins for 3 years, then needed quadruple bipass surgery or some horse pucky.

I mean come on, who needs more then one example of a friends cousins uncle to make it true? Pfft really ppl... :P
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 22:57
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Lawsuit

Well, there really is a guy suing Atkins claiming his cholesterol went up. All the legal folks say it's ridiculous, though, cause he can't even prove he was ON Atkins, let alone that he was doing it correctly. The guy is backed by that same doctors group that sent out the press release saying Atkins was overweight when he died. They want everyone to follow a vegan diet. There's at least one thread on the whole thing in the War Zone section, if you want to know details.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 12:58

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

You CAN die if you do atkins- but only if you do it WRONG, as is true of any other diet or uninformed unhealthy lifestyle.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 13:14
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hey, being fat will kill you too, right?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 13:20
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

I use to get defensive, now it just makes me laugh. It's really fun to eat around them. I order a side of bacon to go with my extra cheese omlette, then eat it with gusto. That really makes them mad. That's what they assume we eat anyway. I could care less anymore, why not have fun with it?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 14:00
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

No matter what the food, drink, air, etc. If you look hard enough, you'll find someone claiming it will kill you. When I hear these ridiculous claims, I just laugh and say, "At leat I'll die skinny".
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 14:28
Slow and Steady

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 238/214/130 Female 67
BF:51%/41.7%/?
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstar96920
I use to get defensive, now it just makes me laugh. It's really fun to eat around them. I order a side of bacon to go with my extra cheese omlette, then eat it with gusto. That really makes them mad. That's what they assume we eat anyway. I could care less anymore, why not have fun with it?

LOL! I need to develop that attitude. I am still new enough to Atkins that peoples' comments make me uncomfortable.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 14:56
Registered Member

Stats: 270/194/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 84%
Wink

living wll kill you....eventually
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 16:08

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

That's right Scout!!! There is no way out but death

I still get this from friends even though after 7 months and nearly 50 pounds lost, my doctors are thrilled and my blood work is much improved. Not to mention my blood pressure being normal for the first time in 3 years! And I just feel a whole lot better.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 18:13

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

The guy who is sueing the Atkins Estate ate a diet that was comprised of Steak and Cheese Cake, that's all.

I've been low-carbing for 5 years and I didn't know that was what the Atkins diet was all about. Boy! I sure have missed a lot of cheese cake!!

J.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 19:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The guy who is sueing the Atkins Estate ate a diet that was comprised of Steak and Cheese Cake, that's all.

Not low carb cheesecake, either...regular cheesecake. Frankly, I think it would be quite interesting if this were to make it to court...the defense would have a field day with this guy and the public would certainly get a good idea of what low carb is supposed to be! (nothing but steak and regular cheesecake ain't it, folks, although I find it hard to believe that he would be eating nothing but that and seriously claim to have been following Atkins!)
I can just see it now..."Mr. Gorran...would you kindly tell the jury how many cups of vegetables you were eating a day while on low carb and which types of veggetables you were eating?" To which the response would be..."What vegetables? You were supposed to be eating vegetables? I thought those were optional."