Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:03

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
Correct me if I'm wrong but no study has proven that saturated fat ia bad for you on a low carb WOE.

Enjoy your coconut milk.

red

Atkins says that the only fats that we should worry about are the man-made transfats. I eat saturated fats with not problems. Fats are my delight. I think that was why it was so easy for me to sacrifice carbs for a reward of fats. Fats will clog the arteries when carbs are high and your liver begins manufacturing cholesterol. According to Protein Power, fats are harmless when the body is producing the right hormones and chemicals that help the organs to function properly. The hormones and chemicals are produced when insulin levels are balanced. Fats contribute to this balance and the pancreas has no idea if you are eating saturated fats. Now, to try this coconut milk.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:45

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
I think there are many studies that have been done to prove that saturated fats can clog arteries... just not as bad as transfats.

If you know of any which specifically show that people who ate low carbohydrates, eliminated sugar and processed grain products, ate adequate animal protein, and ate high natural saturated fats, and that diet resulted in clogged arteries, then post some links. Otherwise, the studies are worthless and prove nothing about saturated fat.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 13:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

I have home-made curry sometimes. It is my favorite food, I eat it more like a soup, its great.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 13:28

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Skibunnie,
That sounds so good. Do you have a recipe I can use?

Thanks, K
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:16

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

TwilightZ to go with that. I do eat a diet high in all kinds of fats. I had my cholesterol checked in December and my HDL=77 and LDL=59. My triglycerides were 59. So you cannot prove it by me that a diet high in fats, including saturated fats, and low in carbs can cause clogged arteries. So in reaity fat is harmless under our WOE.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I got soem coconut cream. It is almost a solid, it is so thick. Kind of like cream cheese. I found it way to powefully rich for my tastes, the baby loves it though. It works well in cooking.

I get all my coconut products from www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com Their freeze dried unsweetened coconut is amazing. It is nothing like you get in stores, it is more like a sweet candy.

For coconut milk I get the "lite" in the can from the store usually as it is lower in carbs then the regular. They had a show on food network showing how to make your own coconut milk and cream. M aybe some day I'll give that a try.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 00:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I use coconut milk to make my own version of frostys. I take a can and put it in the blender and add ice and splenda to taste. It is great! I use it on days where my fats are low. I believe that saturated fats are terrible when combined with a high-carb diet. On a low-carb diet, saturated fats will be burned for fuel. Transfats should be avoided at all cost (bye bye oreos).

Orchid