Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 06:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 523/504.2/240 Male 6'3"
BF:DOH!/better/bestes
Progress: 7%
Default OMG what am I going to do!!!

I have a problem guys. I work with State Government here in Florida. I have been here for almost 11 years and we have always been able to dress very casual, (ie. jeans t shirts, tennis shoes, no shirt having to be tucked in).

But we got an email this morning saying we had to change to business casual. (ie. polo, button up, collar shirts) and they had to be tucked in, I have lost 68 lbs, but I still weigh 405 I am not ready to have my shirt tucked in, it is one of my long term goals to be able to do that, but now I am being forced to. I still hate my body, and feel I would look really bad dressed that way. Does anyone have any advice how to dress "business casual" and still be able to cover up the stomach area a bit. They said the tucked in undershirt with an overshirt would not work. Please help I am freaking out about this.

Also not to mention I will have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe, cause all I have is jeans and jean shorts and t shirt type shirts. And on a tight budget with 4 little kids, not sure how I am gonna do that either.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:01
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Wish I could help...but I am of the shirt out variety. I do wear Polo (type) pullover shirts but wear them out.

Aside: Speaking only for myself. At 430 pounds, I am certain, whether I wear my shirt in or out will not confuse anyone into thinking I have a physique. Like you, I wear my shirts out as I am more comfortable that way. I bought a set of 8 (new) shirts thru ebay for 39.99. 5 bucks a shirt for big man's size is not bad. Good quality and still hold together as good as the best after over a year of wear.

Let's see if I have this right, though...some lady gets to wear a veil across her face obscuring her appearance in the photo on her drivers license and you cannot wear a shirt outside your pants to work? Hmmmm...something is askew somewhere!

I wish you luck in finding the clothing you are most comfortable in that fits the state's requirement. I work for the Feds and we can dress as we choose (within very broad limits)...not that you should change jobs...but it is a choice before you if you are THAT uncomfortable wearing your shirts tucked.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:25

Stats: 432/370/220 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hey Stoop
I feel for you...They tried to make us wear uniforms at work ..Thank God it didnt go thru...but here are a few Ideas...Find a light weight vest you can wear over your tucked in shirt....That ought to piss them off but would be legal....If worse comes to worse wear suspenders keeping your shirts and pants a little on the large size you wont have that bound up look and feeling in the middle...plus they make a lot of cool types of them now...change them around like differnt ties...start a big guys fashon statement...beat them at their own game....MrE is right about E-bay great deals on big mens stuff....I wear pocket T's a lot bought a case of 24 navy blue ones 6X...for $52....Thats like $2 a T....Good Luck....Big John
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:40

Plan: Strict Atkins
Stats: 290/195/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 68%

Well, from a woman's perspective, invest in a really good suit jacket (they make business casual ones) - then you can just throw it on when you are going to a meeting, or feeling a bit "self conscious" - but you know what - you should be so proud of yourself for how much you have lost so far, and just think, by tucking in, you are going to automatically look thinner, and your results will become much more noticeable as you continue to lose .
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:52
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

Hi Stoop ...

I understand a bit because when I was training to be an RN I was required to wear a uniform that was only available up to a size 18-20. At the time I was wearing 32, so I panicked.

When I talked with Human Resources at the University, I was able to invoke the Americans with Disability Act protection due to my size. It wasn't something I was happy doing, since I certainly didn't feel disabled. However, if I had been kicked out of the program only because I couldn't fit the required uniforms - that was size discrimination.

I don't know if that is something you want to pursue, or if you feel it's even valid in your case, but I wanted to offer it up as a suggestion.

Best of luck to you ... and I must say, I like Boogie's fashion statement ideas.

PS - LOVE the Neo avatar! I just got Revolutions DVD so my Matrix library is complete.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 07:52

Stats: 523/504.2/240 Male 6'3"
BF:DOH!/better/bestes
Progress: 7%

Thanks guys, its nice to know there are other people out there that face the same daily battles I do. Thanks a so much for your input. I just had a one on one meeting with my Bureau Chief and she said just come in Monday with the proper attire (polo type shirt slacks and dress shoes) and dont worry about tucking in your shirt for right now. She is thinking this will all go by the wayside soon. Maybe it will since most other things with the state usually does. Well thanks again guys for the bottom of my heart.

Just a side note, I tell ya something that is really neat.
when I found out about this stuff this morning the first thing I thought of doing was coming to this message board and sharing it with you guys for advice. I guess I am getting hooked hehe. I am really glad you guys are out there. Thanks a lot for caring enough to post about this.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 08:19
One day at a timer

Stats: 328.5/280.5/180 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am so happy that your Bureau Chief was willing to work with you! I know how hard dresscodes can be! And I also agree with Boogie, the vest thing is a great idea...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 11:55

Plan: WOW Rx
Stats: 435/390/265 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Casual Male Big and Tall. . . I know it sucks, but sometimes, you roll with the punches and remember that this is the cost of allowing yourself to get as big as you did. . .

. . . and then swear NEVER AGAIN!

Tell you what, you buy some 6x clothing and keep wearing it til you get to 3x and you'll feel great (even if you look like you're wearing a tent).
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 13:21
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

I agree with Boogie. The vest is a wonderful idea. I was going to suggest a light weight sweater or casual sports jacket. That's what I would do as a girl. The Vest is much better.

Good Luck to you.

Glad you knew you could count of us. 100+ heads is better than one.....