Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 19:17

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Vegs w/out the gas-bloat

I finally found vegetables that contain lots of fiber (yes, you need to eat a large salad, but the carbs are very low) and DO NOT cause (me) bloating or gas .... can't say that about MOST other vegetables. I generally eat hard boiled eggs w bacon for breakfast BUT then eat TWO LARGE salads with ranch or mayo dressing for lunch and dinner. The variety comes in what I put on TOP - any kind of protein, infrequently cheese (many kinds). You can imagine that these salads which include the wide variety of vegetables below are NEVER boring. So easy.

I'm on maintenance but eat closer to induction - why mess with success?

Here they are.

Spinach and kale, radish, greens (collard, mustard, dandelion, beet & turnip),romaine/boston lettuce, red-leaf chicory (Arugula), watercress, bamboo shoots, endive, escarole.
Zuchinni, avocado
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 07:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

There is a product called "Bean-O" which helps with gas. It is an enzyme, adds no carbs. You just take a drop before meals with stuff that causes you gas.

However most people find that LCing reduces the incidence of intestinal gas for them. Sorry that you have problems with so many of the usual ones.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 07:51

BF:
Progress:
Default Beano

Yes, I know about Beano - expensive... I forget to take it...I forget to take it when going to a restaurant...doesn't work for me - need 10 drops per 1/2 cup of food---- or 3 tablet pills per meal - bottle of 100 is $14.00- I don't do mannitol, not even a little (see ingredients for tablet)! Nope.

Beano tablet ingredients:

Beano
Food Enzyme Dietary Supplement Tablets
100.0 ea.
Price: $14.49

Ingredients

Alpha-Galactosidase Enzyme 150.0 GALU
Cellulose Gel , Mannitol , Invertase , Potato Starch , Magnesium Stearate , Colloidal Silica , Gelatin

-------------

I know, I can always take simethicone afterward, still there is suffering.
I'll buy some, try to remember to use it - when I need to (going out).

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Tue, Jun-01-04 at 07:59. Reason: adding information
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 08:27

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

Try eating a little more protein, maybe first, to slow your digestion of your food. Works for me. Lots of gas when I just eat cut veggies, but not if I have cheese or something with it.

M
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 10:53

BF:
Progress:
Default Protein with vegs/ Shoots!

Yes, thanks - I always eat protein with my vegs, never vegs alone. I recently discovered BAMBOO SHOOTS - WOW, tons of fiber - not cheap but only 1 carb per serving - 1/2 can. Thats alot of shoots. Really makes a salad go the distance/is filling and NOT BLOATING...I'm going to start adding these to chicken recipes and other veg dishes...they are even LOW in sodium - high in iron, have calcium and vitamin C. I surprised they are not an Atkins CELEBRITY food for fiber. Well they are for me now.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 09:14

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

How do you eat the shoots? Just open a can, like you would with olives? I haven't eaten them outside of Asian restos.

M
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 14:00

BF:
Progress:
Default Mix them in, toss them on

Okay, so they kind of have a smell to them, but if you mix them into tuna or egg salad after chopping them up just a bit (big knife), it works...I even mix them (chopped) into burgers believe it or not / why have beef without any FIBER? I put them on salads as a topper...if you don't like the taste then cover them in mayo or ranch or butter - a cuisinart will pulverize them instantly and then what you add them to is now up to YOU.

Bamboo shoots. 3 carbs, 2 fiber. 15 calories and 15g of salt per serving.
1/2 cup - or 1/2 can is one serving. Sure beats gassy bloating stuff and flaxseed? Goes through me like GLASS - ouch (the ground stuff is like sawdust if you asked me)...I don't buy "boxed processed" or any artificial foods / I do KISS only (my way). So natural it is. Spinach - tons of it (SO healthy and bamboo shoots.) HEY THE KOALAS HAVE IT RIGHT!!!!