Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 19:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/166/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default having a hard time upping carbs?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else is having a hard time with this, I tried to up my carbs without upping my calories too much. Not to mention I'm not hungry for more carbs than I'm getting, I recently just started getting 20g, and I'm on day 18 of starting Atkins. I have two salads that only consist of a few carbs a day, ( I don't like alot of stuff in them) and broccoli, anyone have any ideas on how to raise the carbs without too many calories, I do eat olives once in a while, I know that nuts are good, but I'm not too big on them, except cashews but I'm afraid I'd over do them, I LOVE cashews!
Tammy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 19:53
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Maybe add some (or more) tomatos? A little onion will add a somecarbs and a lot of flavor. Neither will ad ungodly calories.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 20:18

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Why are you worried about controlling your calories tho? Atkins isn't about calorie control. At least, not in the beginning. Jagbender has a great link that will tell you how many calories you need to be consuming. Too few and your body will think it's in starvation mode and you won't lose anything! Help me out here, jag!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 08:36

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

If you want to up your carbs in OWL without adding a lot of calories, besides more veggies, start slowly adding fruit back in to your meals. This is a great time to get fresh berries. Try an extra 5 carbs for a week of berries and if they don't cause any problems/cravings you could add in other fruits and melons too. Good luck

Marie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 11:05

Plan: General
Stats: 272/265/240 Female 5'4"
BF:alot of it!
Progress: 22%

I usually up my carbs by using peppers and onions, sauteed in olive oil. Then I add that to my steak or italian sausage. Even chicken.....like fajitas.

I also have some bread from Healthy Life I believe that is 8 gross and 5 net carbs per slice that I will use under emergency measures to kill a sweet tooth. I toast one piece and slather it with Real brand peanut butter. Kills my sweet tooth immediately without killing my carb count.

Tomatoes sound good for a way to up the carb count. I really miss tomatoes, mostly because I love marinara and fresh salsa. I know there are low carb versions out there but I can't stop at just a little with those things. I could eat a whole omelet stuffed with just fresh salsa and cheese. Yum!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

It isn't really hard to do but you need to substitute things you were eating before with stuff that had more carbs. For example instead of my LC roll (3g) with cream cheese I will eat a slice of Wasa Crispbread (5g) with cream cheese instead. Not really more calories, just more carbs. I think if you just eat MORE food your body won't like it and may store weight.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 11:57
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

What's in your salads? I put tons of veggies in mine - lettuce, celery, radishes, peppers, onion, cauliflower, cucumber, etc.

I added berries in week 3 (still staying at net 20 carbs or less). My salad dressing had a carb or two. I had my daily espresso with cream/Splenda, cup or two of veggies at dinner. Around week 5 or so, I added in some nuts and sunflower seeds.

PLain yogurt in morning protein shakes (got sick of eggs).

There are lots of ways to get your carbs up a bit without having to eat a lot more. Just try to add some variety. Check out the recipe forums.

An avacado is another good one -- make guacamole and use it for taco salads. Or remove the pitt and stuff with shrimp salad.

Get creative! Good luck!

P.S. Yes, you can add in low carb breads, etc, but be aware that in some people these can cause more cravings. YMMV. I found them to be trouble for me, but others eat them regularly no problem.