Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How many times did you go back on induction?
only once 15 22.73%
2-4 23 34.85%
4-6 13 19.70%
I'll Never leave induction! 15 22.73%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%
Arrow Back to Basics

Going back to basics. Yep, I'm going back to induction. I have been really frustrated with my weight. I have stalled, and even gained (okay, there were a couple of cheats in there, but you better not say anything!) So I'm doing what I know works, lots of meats and veggies. I'll do that until I'm close to goal then I'll slowly add carbs back into my diet until get into maintainance phase. Hopefull coupled with the exercise, I can reach goal weight of 150 by the race!

So I want to know, how many times during your weight loss period did you go back to induction. Also, did it help jump start your weight loss when you did it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:31

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Yes, it does help but it's difficult to be as strict as you were the first time round.

Good luck.
Robert
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:33
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I've gone back on strict Induction twice when I've strayed a bit or allowed too much carb creep to happen.

Each time it has jumpstarted me again. Just a few weeks ago, I decided to make a determined push to get to goal and have dropped 10 lbs after not budging for a while.

The first couple days are hard, and then you are soon reminded how wonderful Induction can be to curb those cravings and get your appetite and portion sizes back under control.

Good luck, Deanna! You're SO close!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 13:38

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

When I've needed a jump start, I've KISSed rather than gone back to induction. You can read more about it here, if you're interested.
It certainly worked for me - 10lbs off in two weeks! However, you may find, as I did, that your body rebels after 2 weeks and then won't budge until you go back to your usual low carb woe, but at least it does seem to get the weight loss going again.

There was also a recent KISS challenge in the Challenge and Buddies forum, which may be of help if you decide to do it
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 14:28

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

Demi, kISS does sound do-able, but what would I eat for breakfast? ??/
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:29

Stats: 188/180/160 Female 5' 4''
BF:Next Mini Goal:175
Progress: 29%

I wanted to bump this back up for further discussion on Kiss.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: 123/123/123 Female 123
BF:
Progress: 20%

I do not generally eat breakfast foods for breakfast. I may have turkey and cheese roll-ups, a tuna melt, hot pastrami with melted provolone, a salad, whatever I am in the mood for. It helps a lot for those who are just not breakfast people.

For me, I will not be leaving Induction level carbs. I stall when I do and get cravings.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

For more info about KISSing, here's the link to the KISS challenge I was involved in:

April/May KISS Challenge
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...18&page=1&pp=15

If anyone wants copies of menus, recipes used etc., please ask and I'll let you have them
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:39

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Ive basically gone back to a induction level of carbs, mostly trying to KISS, but I have had a few packets of splenda and some cream cheese. Also trying to keep my fats near 70% and actually eating the amount of calories for my weight. We shall see if it breaks this lonnnnnnnggggg stall (just like you Vanity, a couple of mess ups with my kids birthdays all in April and May). But keeping fingers crossed.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 06:54

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I am just curious, do people really plan to NEVER in their whole life leave a true induction? I mean that's really sad if that is so. Why would someone not want to move on to the latter stages of Atkins which gives them more nutrition, better variety and a healthy maintenance? People who plan to never leave... is it because you are afraid of carbs? Afraid of yourself having variety? Afraid of no self control? Comfortable where you are at? Just because you hate vegetables or what is it that makes a person want to stay so restricted as a life choice. Or, do you plan to actually climb the carb ladder and just stay at 20 carbs a day? I just personally couldn't imagine living the rest of my life on only 2 cups of salad, and one cup of restricted veggies, 3 oz of cheese, meat, and oils. I didn't mean it rudely and apologize if I stepped on anyones toes, it's truly just curiosity.

jenn
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 09:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am starting over again today.
Carb creep came into my life and I just have to re start to get a handle on things.
I don't plan on being limited to a very few things for the rest of my life--just while trying to lose and once I am back on the road of losing I am going to go on to different foods.
angie
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:48
Registered Member

BF:

I am just curious, do people really plan to NEVER in their whole life leave a true induction? I will add some limited carbs back once I reach within 10 pounds of my goal. But I will eat low carb for the rest of my life, because it is the healthiest choice for ME.

I mean that's really sad if that is so. To each his/her own. What works for one person may not work for another.

Why would someone not want to move on to the latter stages of Atkins which gives them more nutrition, better variety and a healthy maintenance? For some it doesn't work that way, depending on their various health conditions. For me, a higher level of carbs will make me sick and set off a lot of different conditions I have. Understand, some of us are actually allergic to a higher level of carbs. I am allergic to Americanized soy, gluten, corn, rice, and high glycemic foods (which set off my blood sugar levels), along with most chemicals that are put into food. I may never be able to have these items again. And I am ok with that. I do not feel deprived in the least. There are so many other healthy choices out there for me.

People who plan to never leave... is it because you are afraid of carbs? Nope. How can I be when I am in control of what I put in my mouth?

Afraid of yourself having variety? I get plenty of variety.

Afraid of no self control? I have plenty of self control. Just this week I baked a birthday cake and mint chocolate chip brownies for my husband, and I didn't lick my fingers or the beaters, nor did i eat a crumb. It needs to be understood that for some carb addicts, allowing them more carbs is like allowing an alcoholic 2 drinks a day. It just doesn't work.

Comfortable where you are at? Comfortable?... I feel the healthiest in my life at this level of carbs. Higher levels make my blood sugar levels do evil things and trigger my migraines, PCOS, Fibromyalgia, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and other joint pain. On this level carbs I am off pain medications. A month ago I was on heavy narcotics. So comfortable? Who wouldn't be?

Just because you hate vegetables or what is it that makes a person want to stay so restricted as a life choice. I like vegetables. Ironically the low carb ones. I don't find it so restricting. I eat more vegatables now than I have in my life. I eat cheese and meat and nuts and avocados and olives. Yum! I get cheesecake and delicious ice cream and Italian sodas. When people see what I am eating, they look at their food and sigh. Mine looks far more decadent.

Or, do you plan to actually climb the carb ladder and just stay at 20 carbs a day? The only time I see my carb levels climbing is when I get pregnant, and then I will eat between 50-70 carbs per day, as per my doctor. I am not deprived at 20 carbs. Honestly, many days I don't get above 10 net carbs. I don't need to add the extra 'stuff' to my food, nor do I need treats every day. A 20 carb day is decadent for me and is usually only when we eat out, which we do not do that often.

I just personally couldn't imagine living the rest of my life on only 2 cups of salad, and one cup of restricted veggies, 3 oz of cheese, meat, and oils. What works for one person does not work for another. I see you are soon to be starting South Beach. It is a wonderful diet for some people. I did it for a long time when I lived in Miami (and when the info was still a handout from Dr. Agatston). As for the 2 cups of salad, I don't eat lettuce every day. There are a lot of other vegetables that fall under the 'salad vegetables' catagory. And the one cup of other vegetables is not really that restrictive. There are a lot of choices. Today I had pickled asparagus. Delicious! My doctor knows a lot about Atkins and said if I didn't eat lettuce but ate the other vegetables, I was getting my recommended 6 servings of vegetables per day. Most people in the US don't eat enough veggies. So I don't see 6 cups as being "only". I also eat low carb yogurt, drink low carb milk, and low carb cereal on occasion. I could eat low carb bread if I desired (3 net carbs a slice). There are pancake mixes. I can make cream cheese stuffed french toast if I desire. Muffins. Cookies. Cakes. Brownies. Cheesecake. For the most part, if one has a craving for something, there are low carb substitutes out there for most things. It just takes some searching and some creativity.

I didn't mean it rudely and apologize if I stepped on anyones toes, it's truly just curiosity. Not a problem. My toes are intact. I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

Last edited by Innamora : Fri, May-28-04 at 15:26.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 15:56

BF:

"Why would someone not want to move on to the latter stages of Atkins which gives them more nutrition, better variety and a healthy maintenance? For some it doesn't work that way, depending on their various health conditions. For me, a higher level of carbs will make me sick and set off a lot of different conditions I have. Understand, some of us are actually allergic to a higher level of carbs. I am allergic to Americanized soy, gluten, corn, rice, and high glycemic foods (which set off my blood sugar levels), along with most chemicals that are put into food. I may never be able to have these items again. And I am ok with that. I do not feel deprived in the least. There are so many other healthy choices out there for me. "

I actually was thinking more along the line of fruits and veggies but I can certainly understand how someone with allergies definately could care less about trying to add in those grains!

I guess after seeing on the poll how many people never plan to leave induction I just wondered if they were staying 20 carbs but added back the yogurt, fruits, nuts etc. (I don't count staying under 20 carbs as induction if you have added back phase 2 foods) I mean the actual induction list is a bit short and restricts a lot of cheeses and dairy, all fruits, nuts and some veggies. You are right though it does allow 3 cups of some veggies but if you followed induction as it's listed 2 cups of those would be salad veggies and only 1 of the 'other' veggie catagory.

I agree 20 carbs a day doesn't necessarily mean someone is deprived (and it certainly wouldn't be if they did in fact add back the nuts, fruits, cheeses, etc) BUT... If they are stopping at the induction list there is a lot they are missing out on.Your list includes many things not on induction even if you are staying under 20 carbs and that I can understand because you have added back that variety I was talking about. But you can see where I was coming from now at least.

Also, I basically just stuck SBD up there because so many people DO stay so low carb. Even Atkins mentions that some can do 100+ carbs a day depending on metabolism and activity and I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I pretty much just felt a lot of guilt for the amount of carbs that I can handle when I see so many that can't that post daily about things they only dream of having but never will touch again. Or they try OWL for a week and give up because of a stall. I never really cared about stalls. I was eating healthy and happy with adding new foods whether the scale stuck or not.

Also, I am pregnant, I don't eat any land animals and I hate fried or oily foods, they upset my stomach so that naturally puts me lower fat even without trying. Plus.. SBD gave me a reason to quit counting carbs so I could focus more on just eating the right things for the pregnancy.(even if they happen to be on the atkins list too) It was actually kind of scary counting up those carb numbers and seeing how many I was having at the end of the day after so many months of trying to keep them low. I am happier not seeing them. I do occasionally plug in to fitday just to check that I am still on track but I don't do it daily anymore. It was becoming a serious source of stress trying to keep all the numbers right.

Jenn
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 16:24
Registered Member

BF:

Congratulations on your pregnancy! How wonderful! After I reach my goal next year, we plan on trying to conceive again. If I got pregnant now, I would end up on bedrest and in a wheelchair. Bleck! Been there... none that.

The only oily food I eat is kippered herring on occasion. I think I have had one can in the past month. I eat avocados and olives for the healthy fat I need in my diet. The way I eat, most really don't see that I am on Atkin's, because I do eat a lot of lean meat. I cannot stomach really oily or fried foods either. I just cannot digest them well.

Best of luck to you with your pregnancy!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 16:37

BF:

Thanks! I have been there done that too. I had several months bedrest with my second child. It was a miserable pregnancy. This time around things are going well.. I'm over half way there now.

Jenn