Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 17:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default Is Canadian bacon the same as peamale bacon?

Peamale (not sure if that is spelled right) bacon is an oval slice of mostly meat, with fat around the edges, then rolled in cornmeal. It is almost all meat and has the texture of cooked ham. Raw it is very pink. It can be purchased in slices or chunks that you slice yourself.

Is this what you folks across the border call Canadian bacon. I want to introduce it, but can't find peamale bacon in the food counts book.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 17:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Bacon

Here's a website that might answer your questions. A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 20:16

*LOL* yup, picture is worth a thousand words. And that's exactly the picture to describe it. I had not searched on the net thinking I would have to wade thru thousands of sites for just Canadian or just bacon. Thank You.

Now I wonder why it sounds like real Canadian Bacon is such a specialty in the states. We can get it just about anywhere here. And "Canadian Bacon" on a kaiser is sold around here from sidewalk vending carts just like sidewalk hotdog vendors.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 21:15

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I always thought "Canadian Bacon" was round and more ham like, kind of like the stuff on a Egg McMuffin. I could never figure out why they called it Canadian bacon because I hardly ever see it and don't know anybody that eats it. I thought Peameal bacon was a completely different thing, much more popular here.

I did a search for images of "Canadian Bacon" and came up with pictures like this

Well, that didn't seem to work! I went to google.com and did and image search on "Canadian Bacon". The pictures don't have the cornmeal on them.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp canbacon.bmp (115.1 KB, 11 views)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 21:23

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

That picture which you posted here is more what we call round ham in our restaurant where I work...I do believe peameal bacon is somewhat different than Canadian bacon...I would most definitely watch for the cornmeal on the peameal bacon though...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 21:25

BF:

This is peameal bacon

#7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 21:28

BF:

And yet another.. this is the writeup I found on peameal bacon.

Quote:
Welcome to the finest gourmet meat available from Canada, Canadian peameal. It is not Canadian-style bacon, as typically found in the United States. This specialty item is the unique classic taste that has become famous worldwide.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 01:18

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Funny story...

My first trip to the states, I was about 22...I went to Denny's for breakfast. I ordered canadian bacon...my plate came back with ham...I said" excuse me maam..there seems to have been a mistake...I ordered bacon. The waitress looked at me like I was strange. She said" ya, canadian bacon. I said, well I am a canadian, and that doesn't look like bacon to me. Anyhow I ate the ham...I was just reminded of this...while reading this post. LOL.. guess you had to be there.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 17:05

Default And the answer is...

well according to what I picked up at the grocery store tonight, Canadian bacon is back bacon...it looks like a thin slice of ham.