Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 07:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141.5/137.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:20%
Progress: 24%
Default Techniques for avoiding emotional eating?

Ok - I am doing well 75% of the time. I have never cheated in the nearly 30 days that I have been doing Atkins. However occasionally I will just want a lot of food. I am bored, or frustrated, or restless (I am at home full time and my husband travels - go figure). Or it is the week before my TOM. And I will pick at food - continuously. I will really want a slice of pound cake, or my other fantasy is a big plate of tempura, but since I will not eat those, I mac out on pork rinds, cheese or whatever other low/non carb food I have on hand. Sometimes it seems like eating simply doesn't make me less hungry. It's not a stomach-rumbling hunger, which is actually easier to resist. It's an emotional craving for food, and since I cannot eat the food that would normally curb that, I end up eating much more of something "allowable" than I would like, retaining water, and gaining a pound or two overnight. I am aware that it is just water weight, but it's frustrating never the less. Obviously distraction or keeping myself busy are the best ways to avoid this. Getting out of the house as well. It's been grey and rainy lately, which certainly doesn't help and limits my distraction techniques. I have found that a spoon full of peanut butter is a good way to stop the rambling nibbling, as is a martini, but I really don't want to overindulge in either of those if I can avoid it. Do other folks experience this, and what are some of your ways of combatting it?

Last edited by TitianWasp : Fri, May-28-04 at 07:53. Reason: Incorrect grammar.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 07:59

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

I found out a family member has cancer (again) yesterday and I ate everything I came in contact with (at least, what was edible!), including cookies, chips and choc covered almonds, plus four bunless burgers (the list goes on). I think emotional eating is a way to comfort ourselves, definitely, so try to see what are your comfort foods and make them lo-carb.

Some of my comfort foods include coffee and especially tea, chicken soup, cinnamon, mashed potatoes, and probably some others. Soooo, I have cinnamon in my tea or coffee, I look for lower carb chicken soup (Campbell's is under 10g carbs), and I mash cauliflower with tons of salt and butter.

Talking and reading help when I am emotional about things, whether it was learning about this form of cancer, or a self-help book (good if they're funny, too!), whatever.

Good luck, and don't worry about a one day bender. I'm not, even though I am probably back over 140 today

Mary
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 205/178/150 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I was physically/mentally addicted to Coke. I don't think the physical caffiene addiction was that strong, but the mental part was. Both stress and boredom would have me reaching for a Coke.

When I began my diet, the best thing I did was to buy a good water bottle (Rubbermaid).

It's going to sound strange or funny, but I think I got used to bringing a Coke bottle up to my lips and drinking. Now, however, stress or boredom will bring that water bottle up to my lips to drink. Big difference in diet, yet the reflex or habit is the same.

So, what is it you are reaching for and why are you reaching? If you can't change the reason you are reaching, at least change what is available to be reached.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 08:27

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Whew! I thought we had a serious confessional here... you mean coca-cola.... whew!

I have heard smokers are the same, they need something in their hands, something in their mouths...

M
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 08:29

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 181/171/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I used to be a huge emotional eater. I'd keep eating and eating even though I was already full just because I'd had a bad day, was stressed, bored.. etc. This was hugely sabotaging my diet since every week or two I'd end up cheating without being able to really stop myself. Then around february I got the Dr. Phil diet book. Now, I know a lot of people dont like him, but I was desperate to understand what the hell I was doing.

I read the book and let it sink in for about a month.. then one day I had a revelation and it hasnt been tough to stick to the diet since then at all. Not to stay I've been perfect, but at least I'm not eating to satisfy my emotions anymore. Now if only the scale would move!

Anyway, this is what helped me get over my emotional eating, maybe the Dr. Phil book or something like it will help you too.

Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:11

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Dr. Phil makes a lot of good points in his book about emotional eating.

Also, it sounds like you are on the right track because you have awareness of what you are doing and why you are doing it, and you are already finding OTHER THINGS to do, which is a number one skill to have in overcoming this.

Another thing in your favor is that it isn't some big thing, but the old bored/frustrated/restless thing. You obviously need more in your life than what you have.

I would explore getting a semi-obsessive hobby. What are your interests, and what can you do about them?

*Read to kids at the local library, or volunteer in other ways.

*Curl up with a good book.

*Painting, poetry, needlework: whatever your pleasure.

*If it has to be food, get some great recipes right here and concentrate on whipping up some new, exotic dish that is also low in carbs. Especially when you are new to a recipe, it is absorbing and time consuming.

*As far as housecleaning with a purpose, when's the last time you went through the closet? Seeing stuff you can't wait to give away, or stuff you can't wait to fit into, can really motivate.

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure you can come up with more once you start thinking.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 205/178/150 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I eat because I have too much crap to do!

That's part of the stress. Eating is like a diversion, takes my mind off the stress. Of course, putting stuff off only makes it pile up, thus increasing stress, and increasing the "need" to eat.

Sleeping is another of my alternatives to the stress of having too much to do. You know, just tune out and forget about it. That tends to let it pile up too.

About the only thing that actually seems to work is just getting the crap done. But that's the last alternative!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 15:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You know, just reaching into my own personal experience and something I read in the news recently, I think I over eat out of fatigue more than anything. When I find myself overeating its because I'm overly tired more than anything. I think getting enough rest at night has really fixed this problem a lot.