Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 20:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Costco also has a much better price for Atkins Advantage Bars (15 for $29.99 - only $2.00/bar). They have splenda 2 boxes - I can't remember the price off-hand, but it was much cheaper than anywhere else. They had a taste test of the Genisoy bars today - yum!

GNC has some good sales - e.g. better price for Atkins syrup than I've seen anywhere - 3.99. I've also noticed they're getting more items in.

ERNURSE - how do you make your own Divinci-like syrups?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 18:15

Stats: 198/184/175 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hers one that is pretty good...

Chocolate Syrup

1 1/2 cups Splenda sweetener
1 cup cocoa
dash salt
1 cup hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons guar gum

-In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add Splenda, cocoa & salt.
-Gradually add the hot water, stirring to keep mixture smooth.
-Cook,stirring constantly until it boils; cook & stir for 3 minutes.
-Remove from heat & stir in vanilla & guar gum{put back on stove if it doesn't thicken right away}
-Cool to room temperature then pour into a sealable container & refrigerate.
-Makes 2 cups syrup.*** 2.7 carbs minus 0.9 gr. fiber= 1.8 carbs per T.
-Good to use on low carb ice cream, white chocolate pudding or drizzled on cheesecakes & waffles...the ideas are endless

there are many different kinds, but i only experimented with Raspberry, Strawberry, and Maple
.........and still testing!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 20:31
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 286/285/145 Female 5-7
BF:
Progress: 1%
Cool Pizza

F.Y.I, Panago just started serving low carb pizza!!!,
I never tried it yet but I can't wait.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 10:35

Plan: HG diet (sugar-free+atkins)
Stats: 110/100/? Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress:

Edmonton Tea and Coffee (near 111 st and 105 Ave) has Sugar-free and regular DaVinci Syrups for $11 each. The bottle is the size of a wine bottle.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 22:05

Stats: 260/223/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Low Carb Gallery

Hi all,
I just got back from Edmonton and stocked up at Low Carb Gallery 104 st and 51 ave. I got Da Vinci syrups, Steel sauces, Atkins sauces. They had a good selection and were willing to ship stuff to me in Medicine Hat. I would recommend them. Also, got stuff at a place on 82nd ave and 108 street.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (+Montignac ideas)
Stats: 260/207/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Urban Fare (96 Ave and 142 St) has Atkins products, including teriyaki and steak sauces, pasta and rice sides, and bars.

I also found fresh edamame beans there.

dyberrah
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (+Montignac ideas)
Stats: 260/207/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Champions grocery on Jasper has Ross Chocolate bars for $1.69, They also have much more in low carb/sugar-free chocolate bars.

Also, their bison meat is reasonably-priced. It's a great change from beef!

dyberrah
  #23   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 10:36

Stats: 135/120/115 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Yes, another place to get it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERNURSE
Hi everyone,

new here and iam in need of locating the best place to buy low carb foods...this means which place in edmonton has the best variety?
I know the GNC in wem has a couple of shelves..but there a little pricy for some things. Hows costco here? Anyways some local support would be of great help...thanks again.

Lo Carb Delight on Whyte Ave. has too many items to name - all low carb and all natural and more than 80% of the items are lower priced than elsewhere. The owner is knowledgeable - 30 years following Aktins way of living!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 10:40

BF:
Progress:
Default Davinci Syrups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sus2
Has anyone found DaVinci SF syrups in Edmonton?

Just to add a couple of things to the last extensive list...I have found almond flour (ground almonds) in the bulk section at Save-on and wheat gluten in the speciality (natural) food section at IGA. Have found xanthum and guar gums at a health food store in Sherwood Park but let my fingers do the walking for that first.

Yes, I know of three places that have sugar free DaVinci's: Lo-Carb Delight on Whyte Ave. The Low Carb Gallery on 51st. Ave and Arabicup coffee shop in Sherwood Park Mall.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 10:50

BF:
Progress:
Smile Protein Platters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminette
I haven't found DaVinci syrups, but I have found Torani syrup (sweetened with Splenda). The Bay has a pretty good selection for a decent price. The small bottles are 6.95.
I bought the gold card at GNC on the weekend. You pay 15$ per year and save a decent amount on their products. I picked up banana nut muffin mixes on special for 5.19. The first week of the month you save 20% when you are a gold member. I agree some of their stuff seems expensive, but there are some deals to be found and they do have a wide selection (at least the South Edmonton Common location did).
Someone also told me they saw Protein Platters at local McDonalds.

Yes, MacDonalds has Protein Platters for Breakfast, and dinner - quite good because you get REAL eggs - however, I heard a rummor that they may disconntinue them. And many of the "gold card items" at GNC(lower price with card) are still more expensive than regular prices at some other places like Save-On, Lo-Carb Delight and some health stores.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 16:51

BF:
Progress:

I found 3 different hot cereals at Lo-Carb Delight on Whyte and 2 are so good I almost crave them in the morning. One is like my old favorite, Cream of Wheat, only this is Cream of Flax, and one is like a smooth Red River/Oat/Wheat and is called Flax O Meal. The great news is that they are all instant - just add hot water and of course cream!!!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 14:56

Plan: south beach
Stats: 205/200/185 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress:

hi everyone! I've been reading this site for a while, but this is my first post. I wanted everyone to know that I found a great place to buy food the other day. The old McKernan IGA, which I think is now called McKernan Market (76 ave, between 114 st and 111 st, next to the fire hall) has a big display of sugar free items right by the cashier. I saw some Steel's, Ketogenics, and I think some other stuff also. Prices looked to be real good. Has anyone found any more stores lately? I know there are new low carb stores opening up all the time, and I'd like to go check them out. Thanks!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 12:41

Plan: suzanne somers
Stats: 125/114/115 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I just got back from Edmonton and while there I checked out Low Carb Gallery on 51st Ave. They have a fairly good selection of products (Davinci syrups/torani syrups, sugar free jones pop, gold lite sugar free chocolate chips, steels products and carbolite etc. etc. I also went to Maximum Nutrition on St. Albert Trail and they have a fairly good selection too. They told me that they are getting sugar free marshmellows in shortly.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 09:03

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Since I cannot afford to shop at specialty shops, I have discovered that Superstore carries lot's of low carb products, bread, syrups, chocolate bars. Their latest additions are Hellman's Carb Wise Barbeque sauce (2 flavours) and Hellman's Carb Wise Salad Dressings. Every time I shop there I discover something new. I also get my coconut oil there as well in the east indian ethnic food section.