Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%
Default Why oh why

do I still feel fat? I have had good weight loss, but when I look in the mirror I am absolutely disgusted with myself and think I look even worse than before. I hope I can get over this one day. Sorry just had to get that off my chest.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:17

Stats: 190/167/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 38%

*hugs* I know what you mean. I've lost about 30lbs, but can't see the slightest difference. I'm feeling discouraged too. Tomorrow will be better I'm sure. *hugs*
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:20

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

I understand as I have had an eating disorder as a teen. The body image is the hard one. You may never have an honest view of reality when you look in the mirror. So just focus on the reality. You are not fat and you are being healthy now. I don't know your history but this is my advice. I also avoid playing the scale/mirror game because I go by my clothing fit and know I am eating well mostl of the time.Good luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 153/135/130 Female 5-6
BF:
Progress: 78%

maybe you should go out and try on some new hot clothes, and see how good you look..i think its great that you are losing..maybe i was doing something wrong cuz i didnt lose s**t! lol
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:36

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

Thanks guys, I feel a little better. And congrats on all of your sucess with LCing!!! That is so exciting and seeing you guys do well is what keeps me hanging in there no matter what I see when I look in the mirror.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 12:35

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

Oh, that nasty body image thing.
I'm going through the same experience.

I try to focus on the tape measure and the way my clothes fit, because when I look in the mirror I see imperfections and I hate it.

Thankfully, my hubby has always said I'm attractive to him, but that doesn't always appease my view in the mirror and my mind games that I seem to inflict on myself.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 12:44

Plan: No Starch/High booze diet
Stats: 235/183/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Bah not sure..
Progress: 95%

I hear yah. I lost close to 60lbs and although I can safely say I can fit in clothes I could not before (thus I KNOW I AM slimmer OMG!!), I feel the same as you do when I check the mirror. It's just maybe a fact of life that when you reach a certain goal then you realize other issues. Maybe it was the fact that we concentrated so much on the idea that all our problems stemmed from the extra weight, that we forgot other issues. Ooops I lost 60lbs.. dang now I just realized my hair looks like crap… oh wait I am pale and even though I am slimmer I have no definition or muscle. For me I knew that even losing lots of weight would not give me the “look” I wanted. I am completely aware that I have a good 6 months worth of physical training ahead of me to “shape” my body now.

It’s kinda like a sculptor making a new statue… they first have a huge block… then they scrape off a good 50 lbs of clay in a general starting shape and then they start to work it into a thing of beauty….or something like that LOL. Anyhow hang in there.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 13:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/136/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I feel the same way, I feel fat all of the time and whats funny is that I feel fatter now and am more self conscious than I did before. One thing that helped though was looking at pictures. I remember this one pic of me in a bathing suit before I lost and weight and the other day I saw one of me recently and I couldnt believe it!! I looked much slimmer, my stomachs not as toned as I would like but I couldnt believe that was me. Have your friend take a pic of you in your bathing suit and use that, it may help. The Swan show has a good idea about not letting the contestants see themselves b/c imagine how different you'd look to yourself if you saw yourself now compared to then, when you look at yourself everyday you dont see the changes and thats whats hard.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 14:15
Registered Member

Stats: 261/244/155 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Oh no! I do not want to feel that way. Do you think that it is just today, or have you been feeling like this for a little while? I do hope that you feel better soon! You are always helping others through so much.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 16:14

Stats: 304.6/196/172 Female 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Why oh why

I feel the same way. Clothes fitting better; know I'm losing inches. Double chin looks to be shrinking. But when I look in the mirror, I still see the same ole me. And my natural high of feeling good drops to a low. Fortunately, this time, I don't soothe those feelings with food. So far.

Keep forging ahead. We can do it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 16:47

Stats: 190/167/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 38%

looking at pictures is a great idea, actually... I mean, it was those pictures that finally showed me how bad it had gotten. "Who is THAT?!?! oh. it's me. Whoa." It was quite the wake-up call.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 21:21

Plan: own modified
Stats: 238/212/176 Female 180
BF:
Progress: 42%

I think we all feel that way at times.

Last edited by Alex123 : Wed, May-26-04 at 21:55.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 22:52
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

You still think you are fat, but I am only a few inches taller than you and your start weight is nearly 10 lbs lighter than my GOAL weight. Now....look at my picture. Do you think I'm a hoss?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 00:28

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I guess maybe I'm just too old to be really into the body image thing anymore. If I can get to the size I want I'm going to be happy! My body will still be flabby in spots--it will sag here and there, but the important thing is that I feel soooo much better now than before LC.

I know it can get completely depressing looking in mirrors, and this is one reason why I don't look often. I learned from past experience that no matter how thin I was (I weighed 139 at my very least, wearing a size 8/10, and had these absolutely huge honkin' hips that would never leave!) it wasn't going to be enough. I finally learned I had to live with the flaws.

I usually only check out a mirror once or twice a week, and then if only necessary. Of course I look in the fitting room to see if the clothes look halfway decent. Then I go 'Woah! A few months back I was a LOT bigger than I am now!' LOL
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 01:55

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Ok, hopefully this helps, this is what I've noticed for myself.
I know for me that I haven't been exercising like I should so I am seeing lack of muscle tone where I used to have alot- prior to having 4 babies. I've lost weight and inches but I am not seeing that tone so it looks, in a way like I've gained. It's like when I was way overweight, I didn't expect to see tone so I didn't look for it, but now that I'm closer to goal I'm looking for something that's not there cuz my muscles have atrophied over the years of being fat and I haven't been working to tone it up. That kinda scares me. I mean..if muscle weighs more than fat, then am I going to have to gain as I try to tone and therefore get further from my goal weight? Annie