Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 14:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/225/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default nursing low carber

I have been struggling with my weight as long as I can remember. I went on the Atkins diet when my son was 3 months old. I lost 10 lbs in 12 days. I was thrilled! Then my milk supply started depleteing and doesn't want to nurse. I read that the ketones might make the milk taste bad, and also that there could be toxins in my milk. I'm now eating more carbs and am hoping he will be satisfied again. My question is, what are the effects of toxins and ketones in breastmilk? How are the harmful to him? Is it possible to stay in ketosis and still breastfeed with losing my milk supply?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 18:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Wachiya! I'll leave the milk question to the experts, just wanted to say hi.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 21:36

Plan: protein power
Stats: 146/146/125 Female 5ft. 4 in
BF:
Progress:

How old is your baby? You and I are in the same boat. I would love to do induction but am afraid because I am still nursing. Now, my little one is 15 months old in 2 days and I am looking to wean very soon, but I am still interested in that. I have found it so difficult to stick with it while nursing. I reached my goal weight before getting pregnant with ease and now it's so hard. My friends tell me it's the nursing making it harder. I wish I had some answers for you, but I share in your concern!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 07:05

Stats: 240/225/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

My son is 4 months old, and I plan on nursing until he is atleast a year. i just wish I knew a long time ago that it was the carbs that were making me fat, and not the fat!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 07:13

Stats: 298/209/170 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi there,

I think that your question about what the ketones do to the breast milk is a great question. There is an organization called La Leche League where you can call and ask that question. I would imagine that with so many people on low carb these days they would have some info on how it affects breastfeeding. The should have a web site that will have info or a phone number that you can call. Also, there are independent lactation consultants that might be able to answer your questions over the phone with out any fee. Many lactation consultants work through the OB units in hospitals. You can probably get a referral from them.
Hope this helps!