Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 18:09

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%
Default While we're on the topic of sweat....

I have been doing elliptical trainer as my main source of cardio for a long time, about 6 months, off and on, but been steady for the past 2 month at 6 days a week, 3 miles a day. One thing I noticed was I never broke into a sweat like I used to. I would sweat, but not much...I was also doing the 3 miles in 30 minutes, keeping my heartrate at about 130.

I recently switched onto a stationary bike, mainly because the females by the ellipticals we watching the "Worlds worst 2 hours of life" of Dr. Phil followed by Oprah. Anyway, I switched over to the other side and promptly turned on Cops, and did the bike for 30 minutes. I came out of this, sweating like a pig. My heartrate was 130 the whole time, if that, I was having a hard time getting it to that!

Can anyone explain this, did I burn more fat because my body wasn't used to it? Could my deep hatred of Dr. Phil and Oprah have sparked my body into a better exercise?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 18:32

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Or simply the stationary bike was on a COOLER part of the gym:-))) I am not kidding. The outside temperature has much bigger effect on your sweating rate, than anything else.

But it is only my 2 cent (and my experience).

P.S.: I do not want to hurt anybody's feeling, so I do not want to accuse Dr. Phil or Oprah, but emotions can change your body temperature as much as a nice cardio. For example when I see on tv, that ...... ok, this is for the "Everything else" thread

Eva
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/198/195 Male 71
BF:41%/25%/???
Progress: 96%
Thumbs up Change is good!

Bfdzio –

Congratulations on your progress! You must feel great!

Yes … your retreat from Dr Phil was well timed. Doing the same routine day after day … week after week … is not only boring, but has diminishing returns. Over time, your body and muscles get very efficient at doing an exercise over and over. Efficiency = less energy = less calories burned, which is the whole point of exercising, right? It is best to keep the intensity up through your workouts and change the routine (bike, run or cycle) every couple of weeks. This way you are always challenging your body … sweat is sure sign you are doing it right!

Looks like you will have no problem meeting your goal weigh, but don’t be afraid to add some resistance training to your routine. Building up some muscle mass will raise your metabolism and will give you more long-term benefits than cardio alone. Muscle continues to burn calories even after your workouts end. There are some great programs in this forum, if you need some ideas. Best wishes for continued success.

-- DJ
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 12:41

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

not that this is related by wth is dr phil doing doling out diet and exercise advice?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 15:26

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

^^^^^ lol at that.... i've often wondered the same...

but in the same token, i guess the same could be said about Dr A - or the people who continue to follow his advice after knowing he passed of coronary failure.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemman
^^^^^ lol at that.... i've often wondered the same...

but in the same token, i guess the same could be said about Dr A - or the people who continue to follow his advice after knowing he passed of coronary failure.

dr phil has no credentials in this area! in fact, he is merely a jury consultant - check his website.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 16:49

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

oh believe me- i know. im not disputing the fact that Dr A has better credentials, just that people find it ironic that people who follow a high-fat, low-carb diet are listening and following a diet of a man who passed from coronary failure.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 16:51

Quote:
oh believe me- i know. im not disputing the fact that Dr A has better credentials, just that people find it ironic that people who follow a high-fat, low-carb diet are listening and following a diet of a man who passed from coronary failure.

...gotcha!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 17:05
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Quote:

Huh? Probably open a can of worms here, but didn't he have an accident and coronary failure just like a complication of THAT and not indicative of his diet?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 17:38
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Well, he did have congestive heart failure at one point in his life. The fall probably wasn't connected to it in any way. And it's said that his heart problem was hereditary and not dietary. But who knows?

But at any rate, he's just one person. I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on one person. Ironic, maybe. Conclusive, not.