Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Your views on the ATKINS Diet Revolution
I'm on it! 87 71.90%
Not for me 4 3.31%
Worked wonders, very satisfy 35 28.93%
Didn't work 3 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 16:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 141/118/120 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 110%

I enjoy the food I am eating on Atkins. Here are some of the things I prepare:

Spinach, Mushroom, Scallion and REAL Bacon Salad
Assorted Lettuces with Cucumber and Crumbled Blue Cheese
Greek Style Salad, Lettuce, Peppers, Cucumbers, Feta Cheese, sprinkled with Oregano and Basil

I top these with a homemade vinagrette dressing that I make in large batches: it is made with extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, dijon mustard, lemon juice and one packet of splenda - and tons of coarse ground pepper!

Bratwurst, Knockwurst, Anduille Sausage fried in a bit of butter with Dijon Mustard

Chicken Breasts, Pork Chops, Steak, prepared with salt and pepper and seared in a bit of olive oil and then broiled until tender but fully cooked

Antipasto: Slices of Soppresatta Salami, Proscioutto, Brie Cheese, and a few olives and pickles

Boiled Eggs with mayo and coarse ground pepper

Omelettes or Scrambeled Eggs with Swiss Cheese and Ham, I add a touch of heavy cream to make the eggs fluffy

NOW I AM HUNGRY!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 10:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I've been on Atkins a little over 1 year and lost 85+ lbs

Main Foods:
Fresh Baby Spinach - all the time!
Cucumbers, cauliflower and assorted veggies
ranch dressing
strawberries & blackberries
melon - watermelon, cantelope, honeydew
apples
peanut butter
yogurt
chicken, steak, hamburger, bacon, turkey sausage, pulled pork, shrimp
lc products: Advantage bars, shakes, skinny cow ice cream, endulge chocolate bars
nuts - macad. & almonds
cheese
eggs

Love this way of eatting and living
Marie
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 15:31
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I have always eaten good food along with my bad foods so I didnt have to learn to cook and eat good foods...only to delete the bad ones.
I eat tons of:
asparagus
fish and seafood
all meats
curried chicken
chicken cordon bleu
salads of all kinds (yummy)
all veggies
and cheese blessed cheese.
butter
mayo
dressings (preferably homemade) but I do sometimes eat store bought.

(notice that these are what I eat all the time.) I eat a few nuts, seeds and berries. But mostly I am happiest eating induction food (yes even curry is induction friendly)... just waaaay more veggies.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 23:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

What is low carb spinach bread, shortstuff? It sounds delicious - is it something you buy or do you make it? If so, could we have the recipe, please?

Karen D.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 00:37

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hmm, you asked for menus, didn't you? We eat fairly simply, and I was just thinking about that tonight. The reason we eat simple meals is because the food tastes so darned good there's no need to go for fancy! We used to fix such complicated meals and never have half the taste we do now! LOL

We do a lot of meat and veggie meals, like supper tonight was pork roast cut up into chunks and fried (daughter thought she was getting out pork steaks, then discovered it too late to bake the roast), with a salad. I had green olives and bleu cheese dressing on my salad.

I just love the casserole we make. We use turkey, cauliflower, cheese, mayo and bleu cheese dressing. It's basically made almost like a tuna casserole using turkey (or chicken) for the meat and cauliflower instead of noodles. Another favorite is spinach casserole.

Stir-fries are also a staple around here, often made with either ground beef or ground turkey and all kinds of veggies, generally heavy on the cabbage.

Roasts baked with cabbage.
Lots and lots of salads which vary from time to time depending on the produce in the fridge, and dressed as the mood strikes. Sometimes I like caesar dressing, sometimes Greek dressing, most of the time bleu cheese.

We also eat quite a few frozen vegetables, like broccoli or broccoli/cauliflower blend. Sometimes I'll get the kind with carrots so I can have a couple of bites of carrots.

Oh, I almost forgot! During the winter months, spaghetti squash with pasta sauce. Other times we make 'vege-ghetti' which is basically pasta sauce with a lot of veggies added and meat.

I know there's more, but I really can't think well tonight.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
My menus is based on eggs, chicken, meat, hotdogs, tuna fish, bacon, fish, veggies, lots of mayo & mustard, and water...not the best menu I know but what can i say!? I ain't much of a cook lol
I don't think you have to be a great cook to eat well.

I always keep cooked fish - usually salmon - in the fridge and that's breakfast along with a combination of cooked broccoli, cukes avocado, cabbage and toss it with either lemony mayonnaise or lemon and olive oil, depending on my mood. I can't be bothered cooking in the morning so this is fast and good

Lunch was an omelette with portabello mushrooms, smoked cheddar and tomato. For dinner I had sliced steak with shiritaki noodles cucumber, celery, green onion, cabbage and spicy sesame dressing. I cut, tossed, and made the dressing while the steak cooked.

Later on I'll have some fruit; half an apple, pear or grapefruit.

Karen
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/108/97 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 52%

Ok, Today's Menu so far:

Breakfast: Skipped

Lunch: two cups of lettuce and tomato with some parmesean cheese(like 5tps) and pepper; 3 fried eggs with butter;and 24 oz of water

Lately I have been trying to go back to Induction cos i cheated all last week and yesterday so i'm hopin that startin today i can stay Cheat-Free
Guys, I have to make a confession and i know that it'll make some of you furious at me but i have to confess that i haven't finished reading the Atkins' ND Revolution Book and i have had it for a month now Yes, i know...that should have been more than enough time for me to finish it but i haven't had the time to read it all the way through, i'm so ashamed All i've been doin is tryin to eat only allowed foods but sometimes it gets really hard, especially when most of my family are big carb eaters and there's always sweets and fruits around, it gets really hard to resist. I wonder how some of you can keep it strong and not give in into your cravings for carbs, esp of things such as bread, rice, fruits, and pasta. I need help and support cos i can't find the motivation although i made the decision long ago to follow the ATKINS way of life.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 15:42
Registered Member

Stats: 292.5/282/165 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:54.66%/54.66%/25%
Progress: 8%
Post my lunches

For me, lunch is often the hard part. If there is no leftovers (which I try to make sure there are, but sometimes my boys are extra hungry!), then I make deli ham or turkey spread with whipped cream cheese and toss in a pickle spear and roll it up. I went thru a whole freekin' jar of pickles last week and now I'm a bit green when I look at them! That will pass...its just so dang easy! Also, the deli up the street from my office makes a chicken salad with blue cheese dressing instead of mayo and adds hazelnuts and celery - oh lordy that sutff is beyond compare. And just a little bit satisfies you cuz its so rich. I'm going to try to make that at home as soon as I buy some really good blue cheese dressing. You can't really use the regular bottled stuff. It has to be super thick and creamy.

Good luck expanding your food list!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 15:49
Registered Member

Stats: 292.5/282/165 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:54.66%/54.66%/25%
Progress: 8%
Smile OH, me oh My

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnnabethin

Guys, I have to make a confession and i know that it'll make some of you furious at me but i have to confess that i haven't finished reading the Atkins' ND Revolution Book and i have had it for a month now Yes, i know...that should have been more than enough time for me to finish it but i haven't had the time to read it all the way through, i'm so ashamed All i've been doin is tryin to eat only allowed foods but sometimes it gets really hard, especially when most of my family are big carb eaters and there's always sweets and fruits around, it gets really hard to resist. I wonder how some of you can keep it strong and not give in into your cravings for carbs, esp of things such as bread, rice, fruits, and pasta. I need help and support cos i can't find the motivation although i made the decision long ago to follow the ATKINS way of life.

Honey, puh-leese! Ok, so you've had the book - and you've had time to read it...what REALLY matters to us is that you are working it and doing right by yourself!
Read the book when/IF you feel like it will help you! If that day doesn't come, just stick close to th forum.

I know what you mean about family being big carbo eaters. My 19 year old son baked brownies and pumpkin bars last night at 11pm. I woke up DROOLING! Then he eats one stinkin' brownie and goes to bed. When I woke this morning and schlepped down to the kitchen, I about died! But you know what? That brownie does taste that great...not as good as being thin feels. I know that. I've eaten brownies and I've been thin. Thin is WAY better.

Keep coming back!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/108/97 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 52%

Originally posted by justmoony:

Quote:
Honey, puh-leese! Ok, so you've had the book - and you've had time to read it...what REALLY matters to us is that you are working it and doing right by yourself!
Read the book when/IF you feel like it will help you! If that day doesn't come, just stick close to th forum.

I know what you mean about family being big carbo eaters. My 19 year old son baked brownies and pumpkin bars last night at 11pm. I woke up DROOLING! Then he eats one stinkin' brownie and goes to bed. When I woke this morning and schlepped down to the kitchen, I about died! But you know what? That brownie does taste that great...not as good as being thin feels. I know that. I've eaten brownies and I've been thin. Thin is WAY better.

Keep coming back!

I know that, tha'ts why i've been cheat free for bout a week now. I said i hadn't finished the book not cos i didn't wanted read it but cos i just didn't had the time for it. But i'm following every induction rule and i've keeping my carbs low, my fats and proteins high and drinking a lot of water. I try to come to the forums as often as i can, its been very helpful and motivational. I used to be such a sucker for sweets and carbs but like i said before, i prefer thin lol

Cheers
  #26   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 20:21

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

I live alone and, while that has lots of disadvantages, it has its advantages too, the biggest one being I don't keep any high carb food in the house so it's not there to tempt me! It sure helps.

Karen
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 23:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

beef, pork, chicken, sea food, cheese, butter, eggs, fatted yogurt, cream, whipped cream, sour cream,olive oil, mayo, salad dressings with no or very few carbs, nuts, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, mushrooms, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, orange bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, brocoflower, brocolli slaw, asparagus, spinach, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, zuchini, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, jacima, avocado,straeberries, raspberries, blackberries, honey dew and cantalope melons,flax tortilla chips, lc candy,pork rinds, creamy cauliflower soup, creamy chicken soup.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 05:22
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Talking

My grocery list pretty much looks like the rest of everyone's.

I've discovered Hungarian Sausage, and Beer Sausage at my meat market, and they've become a staple.

***I also drink a small glass of water with a half a lemon squeezed in it before i go to bed at night, and first thing in my mouth in the morning. It's a degreaser and I'm hoping its degreasing my organs, and it keeps me regular.

I also make my own dips for snacking. I cream cottage cheese and sometimes mayo with different herbs and spices to make a dip for my in between meals.

And finally, The only oils I use are olive and sesame. Veggie oil if i have to brown something.

And I NEVER hit fast food joints. They are like a drug den to me... Better to stay away from trouble than provoke it.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 19:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

meat, cheese, mayo, and water.....
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 12:47
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default I'm still a lazy cook, even if I'm low carbing

and since I live alone I can eat whatever I please:
so:I tend to eat a lot of steak, bacon, chicken, hamburg

and I grill a whole bunch at a time, freeze or store in plastic bags..........then microwave to reheat when I want to eat.
I also eat salad almost ev ery day.......or right now I am into frozen broccoli florets from SAM's which I cook 13 oz. at a time (just happens to be what fits the saucepan I leave on the stove every day) with 2 TBSP of Butter and 3 TBSP parmesan cheese and lots of fresh ground pepper. I am sure I will get sick of this but right now I love it and have it almost every day. It is filling and low carb and low calories.
For awhile, I did a Karen's crustless cheesecake and ate some every day for a couple of months or so..........but eventually tired of it.
I also do Quiche Lorraine, 4-egg cheddar cheese omelets,
pickled hard boiled eggs, lots and lots of cheese (mostly Cabots); some Carb Smart ice cream once in a blue moon, black olives, stir fry chinese cabbage, lots of cold cuts like roast beef, genoa salami, hard salami, pastrami, swiss cheese.