Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 18:02

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%
Default Starting My TKD

Starting My TKD

OK – I’m starting my very own TKD thread. Feel free to post your comments and suggestions for optimizing a Timed Ketogenic Diet. I’ll be keeping updates of my progress as well. I’m a pretty much a beginner when it comes to weight training, nutrition, and TKDs of course.

My current plan is to lose about 40 lbs of fat. My preferred muscle loss would be zero if possible. I don’t have a ton of muscle to begin with (except my quads). I have read numerous times that beginners can experience both fat loss and muscle gains for a short time.

I am not a hardcore dieter yet. I am staying relatively low carb – 50-60 grams per day while following something approximating a Protein Power or South Beach Phase 1 diet. I am not particularly excited about doing a sub-20 grams of CHO per day. I will chart my progress with a semi-low carb. My daily calories fall between 1900 and 2300 calories per day. My daily maintenance rate is about 2500-3000 based on my height of 6’4” and 248 lbs. I plan on eating at or slightly above maintenance on my carb-up meal day.

Since I’m not going ultra low carb I probably shouldn’t over do it on my timed carb-ups, right?

My first workout was Wednesday, and I enjoyed some sweet tarts pre-workout followed by a bowl of chicken and pasta post workout. I was sore Thursday and am a little sore today as well. I am going to try to give at least 48-72 hours between muscle groups. Right now I am doing an all body workout at home. My off days have a lot of walking (no car).

My next planned workout is tomorrow.

Any comments are welcome! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 18:59

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Jag
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

good luck we are here to help whenever possible
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:50
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Good luck elijaeger,
I've often wanted to try this sort of plan, just have a hard time not being able to really pig out once and awhile, that reward is just tooooooo enticing for me.
Anyway, you stand a much better chance on TKD of actually building new muscle mass. Lyle McDonald, who wrote or should I say "refined" the book on CKD says that 100gms of carbs centered around weight workouts is just enough to keep you OUT of ketosis and is the best "low carb" way to bulk (add muscle) without fat gain. Of course, not ideal for fat loss.

Anyway, just rambling, keep us posted on how your plan is working out, as it may be in my future and am keen on listening to others experiences.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 11:15

I'm glad I found this forum!

My goals are primarily fat loss with minimal muscle loss (sound familiar?) I figured TKD would be ideal for me, so we'll see.

I have read a ton of Lyle Mc Donald postings over the past months. One of these days I'll have to go out and buy his book.

CKD sounds great psychologically, although it seems like it requires considerable time and dedication, not to mention careful measuring and attention to detail. Of course the reward carbs may well be worth it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

TKD is great psychologically too - you REALLY look forward to lifting days.

Good luck. I really like TKD. When I forget to carb up (!) I go to TKD for a week and then go back to NHE. Breaks it up a bit, too.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 16:27

I think TKD is ideal for me at this time. I'm really interested in everyone's different routines though. I guess when I get down to a reasonable body fat I can start looking at CKD and NHE (not sure about the diff yet). I am starting to plan my post workout meals with carb lust. All those forbidden foods.

Today's workout was all right. I ate extremely low carb the previous 48 hours, so my strength may have been zapped a bit. I popped my Sweet Tarts about 15 minutes before my lifting. I was getting pretty tired by the end. My post workout treat was a big bowl of Cheerios with skim milk.

My question for those who have done TKD. How long after your High carb post workout meal until you return to a typical Keto meal? I was thinking I could return in 2 hours.

My pre-workout weight was 245 - a new low. Post workout after carb feed and water gulping was 246.5. Not bad after hovering from 247-249 for the past 3 weeks.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 16:49
Southern Gentleman

Are you drinking a protein shake immediately after workout that you aren't mentioning? If not, you must think seriously of adding one! A bowl of cereal and milk (and should be fat free instead of skim) post workout is simply not enought protein for lifting.

Here's what you need: a protein shake with 20 to 40 grams of protein immediately after workout and you can add your carbs to this and then about 1 hour later eat a meal with PROTEIN i.e. meat, chicken, fish.

The source of your protein might be up to you, the need for this protein when weight training is not.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 17:19

I ate about six slices of lunch meat with my cheerios. (The milk was fat free - I thought that was skim as well?) My taste buds were a little freaked out by that sequence of foods...

So I think I'm getting the drift here. About an hour and a half later I had some turkey sausage with dill relish and mustard. I will check the labels and make sure it is sufficient.

Does it really matter when you take your daily vitamins on workout days? I take some before, some after workout but haven't read the recommended.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 17:38
Southern Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijaeger
I ate about six slices of lunch meat with my cheerios. (The milk was fat free - I thought that was skim as well?) My taste buds were a little freaked out by that sequence of foods...

So I think I'm getting the drift here. About an hour and a half later I had some turkey sausage with dill relish and mustard. I will check the labels and make sure it is sufficient.

Does it really matter when you take your daily vitamins on workout days? I take some before, some after workout but haven't read the recommended.
Well. the lunchmeat is better than nothing, but QUICK protein is better which is why you'll read so much about a PWO (post workout) shake. After a workout your muscles are catabolic (catabolism - breakdown of more complex substances into simpler ones with release of energy) meaning they are "eating themselve" for energy and you want to stop this and make the change to anabolic (anabolism - synthesis of more complex substances from simpler ones) meaning you want to feed it the most simple form of protein available to quickly change the breaking down to building up! That is where protein shakes come in, they supply very simple quick digesting protein that is very quickly available to your muscles which are "screaming" for it after a weight workout.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 18:31
Registered Member

BF:

I personally didn't do the post workout carbs, because for some reason, perhaps being female(?), too much spilled over into my fat stores. But I always did the PWO whey shake. Low carb, chocolate flavour. Extra 5 g glutamine into it. And look into BCAAs - I'm gonna chat with my supp guy tomorrow.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 18:51

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

I read in NHE that whey protein had a good amount of BCAA's in it. I would have to find the page. The cheapest place I found BCAA's (ICE) was at 1fast400.com. I think it was 49.00 for two pounds. I just recieved 1000 g of L glutamine from 1fast400 today, it was $33.00. I had been using Now brand from the HFS but it was 17.00 for 176g. I am glad I found a place to buy in bulk.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 18:58
Registered Member

BF:

That's great about the bulk prices Jag. Thanks.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 23:02

Oh, man, I wasn't aware that different proteins were absorbed at different rates. Thanks for the protein tips. I will investigate the PWO shake.

It seems rather expensive to get the special order stuff. Any good natural food items that are particularly well received by my muscles? The reason I ask is because I would prefer to eat real food (not that the lunch meat is all that real) and another reason is financial - I can't afford the kind of stuff jagbender is referring to.

I will do some more homework, thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 01:49
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijaeger
Any good natural food items that are particularly well received by my muscles?

Not that I've heard of..... the general consensus is straight after working out, slam down the whey because it's the fastest absorbed.

Bedtime best to get slowest release..... I've recently bought a huge tub of calcium caseinate, although you can use cottage cheese, but the caseinate worked out about the same price per g of protein when buying in bulk and *way* less carbs

I'm really intrigued by the whole TKD thing and I think I'm gonna give it a go. Just need to work out what the best way to get the high GI carbs in.... (I'm in the UK so we don't have sweet tarts, the right smarties (ours are chocolate the same as Canada I think) etc)