Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: CAD-Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default exercise bands & tubing

Hi,
Also good for at home are exercise bands or tubing - they're stretchy elastic, providing resistance when you do your exercises. I'm quite sure you can buy these at WalMart or similar stores. Exercise balls are also good.
Some examples of exercises are here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/exercise/index.shtml
You might also want to try yoga/pilates as a kind of strength training.
Just some ideas - I love resistance/weight training!
Robyn
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 19:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/245/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: -7%

Thank you. I am getting a bit confused as to which is best. i can't do everything or I will never stick to it. I wonder what gives the best results.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 20:24
Registered Member

Plan: CAD-Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi again,
Yeah, it really can be a bit overwhelming, all these choices. But I'd say use whatever you're going to be able to stick with, whatever seems most intuitive to you/your body - the results are similar (though a home gym, with large weights, will give you more options, allow you to progress further). You might want to try a video tape at first (this forum has some links to good ones). This site is really great too as an intro to weightlifting (especially for women): http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

Please don't let your confusion stop you from exercising with weights though! There are lots of options, but really, they'll all do the job. Remember, you can always pick one, try it for a while and switch up. No harm in trying.
Robyn
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 23:28
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

If you're a total newbie, maybe get 1 set of 5lb dumbells and 1 set of 8 lb. Do a few bicep curls or something in the store. If you get really fatigued with the 5's - get 2, 3 lb ones instead, and 2, 5lb ones.

www.exrx.net and www.stumptuous.com have good info on building a weight routine, with photos.

Don't give up your cardio though. It does burn fit and is good for you, as well.

When starting an exercise routine, in my humble opinion what is important is consistency and trying to find something you enjoy so that you stick with it. Don't feel you are not doing anything worthwhile if you're not as gung ho as other people. Baby steps!

Listen to your body, and try to be honest about whether you're really challenging yourself.

Just try to get moving as much as you can. Dance around the house, go for a walk, a bike ride, play with the kid's hulahoop - whatever. Try to have fun!

Good luck.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 04:47

Stats: 239/245/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: -7%

thank you soooooo much! I will go try some light weights and see what I can handle. I am totally new to exercise. I haven't exercised since high school.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 01:36
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemman
anerobic exercize seems so boring to me. jagbender has been trying ever so much to kick my butt into gear and get me weight training and i know i should, weight training is so beneficial in toning and building muscle to boost your metabolism to burn fat, etc. but

If you are lifting hard enough and heavy enough, TRUST me, it ain't boring. It's actually almost like meditation - you have to focus completely, because it's so hard, if you don't, you could get hurt. Your body knows this, and forces you to completely focus inward through your breathing and your form.

Kinda like intense yoga, but with pieces of metal. Mini-meditations, 6-10 breaths long, with breaks.