Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 18:21

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default If I have to choke down another...

...egg, piece of cheese, piece of lunchmeat, salad, or glass of water, I'll PUKE!!! I think having those hidden carbs the last few days (not doing it now) are affecting my attitude. I'm upset! Like teary! I don't WANT to eat all this meat that makes me gag...I loved it before...pork rinds smell like rotten chicken. *sigh*

Maybe if I spend a day pre-cooking my favorite stuff, I wouldn't feel this way. Chicken strips, pot roast, things like that. Right? Anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 18:45
Waterlogged

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/215/150 Female 5' 10"
BF:

You got it! The secret to avoiding boredom is to get creative with your menu. If you eat the same thing every day you'll get sick of it real quick Sick of eggs in the morning? My favorite breakfast lately has been bacon and cream cheese...hehe. The only thing I really have trouble with anymore is water
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 18:50

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Smile

The first time I tried to do low carb I felt like a pet cemetery....I got to where I was like you and didn't want to choke down another bite of meat, etc. This time, I've been so much more successful. I love this woe now. Now I'm almost afraid to eat bad carbs. There are some things that you can eat that might help. I enjoy drinking the EAS Advant Edge mixed with 1 cup of Hood's chocolate carb count milk. The milk thickens it up and it tastes like a melty milkshake to me. You can take some creamcheese and mix a little sf de vinci vanilla syrup with it and it tastes like a little dessert. I bake cheese on parchment paper till it's crispy. Sometimes I put a little italian seasoning on it before baking and it and dip it in a little spag. sauce, it is just wonderful. Also I mix sf De Vinci vanilla syrup and heavy cream in my coffee. After my first couple of weeks I no longer craved carbs, so these are just low carb things I enjoy eating. There are some great recipes in the recipe portion of the forum. I've been thinking about trying the cauliflower popcorn. The pizza is wonderful!!! And Diet Rite soft drinks are very good. I love broccolli with a bunch of butter..... I hope you find some things that help you enjoy this woe more. I love the way I feel on it. My digestive system is so much better. I feel so much better in general eating this way. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 19:06

BF:

I've been on it two weeks now. Tonight was a little better, but I'm tired of salad with the meal. My meat was different than usual, as I "breaded" the pork with crushed rinds and seasoning. It was actually pretty good! I think i was thrown off by drinking coffees with the SF choc sauce that had all those carbs. Now I'm all messed up. I'll get past it. Today's menu was perfect carb-wise with NO mess ups or straying from induction. I drank ALL my water and got a ton of exersize. If I can just figure out something interesting for breakfast tomorrow, I'll be in good shape.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 19:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 253.5/189.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:41.2
Progress: 56%

How about some whipped cream with a bit of cream cheese and splenda whipped in, sprinkle it with cinnemin and add strawberries...This is one of my favorites!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 23:34

BF:

I can't have strawberries yet, but when I can, that sounds wonderful! I think that's one of my fav dips and I would eat it alone!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 08:07

Stats: 225/178/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 55%

At about 2 months into low-carbing,I swear I physically gagged at the thought of putting a pork rind in my mouth!!! Luckily, I love to cook so finding new low-carb recipes and creating my own got me through the worst.Even at five months and going strong,there are still days when I would rather not eat,if it means eating "right" LOL
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 08:19

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

I got like you with being absolutely sick of eating to the point of tears and wanting to quit! But my DH always reminded me of how far I've come and how proud he is of me and told me he'll try something new. He is very good at adding variety to my dinners, but for breakfast I am on my own.

I can't take all the credit for this breakfast - as I read it in a post from AFWife - she fries her eggs in olive oil and I thought I'd give it a shot - since I needed to add more fat to my plan. And let me tell you - it gives the eggs a whole new dimension! I take 2-3 eggs, 1-2 tbsp olive oil, 1 pat of butter - fry the eggs. Then sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp parm cheese. I couldn't believe how different the eggs tasted with the olive oil!

Good luck - stay strong - you can do it!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 10:57

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Yes, don't give up! After a couple more weeks, you begin to prefer the LC stuff. That's what happened to me at least. Be creative with your menu. There are tons of sites with low-carb recipes. Atkins has a shrimp scampi recipe that is absolutely wonderful.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:34

BF:

Thanks everyone. I'm going to the store today and I think I'll pre-cook some of my fav's (I prefer "meal type" foods) and freeze them for fast eating. That should help. I lost another pound today Except I don't think it counts as a whoosh since it would only be one "o"...whosh...hmmmmmm.....
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 13:25
Honoured to be here

Plan: atkins
Stats: 302/263/210 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 42%

good on ya mate, u keep it going...

i'm lovin it at the moment, but i too felt exactly like you did on my first attempt at low carbing...

now i've got this place to find inspiration, and its a godsend..

i love nuts, and (naughtily) I have them more then i should, BUT ITS WORKING for me at the moment, and i'm not going too mad..

i have also found the best low carb breakfast bars, completely atural and they are stunning, 3 different flavours and i have one of them a day..

JAG the chef is full of delicious ideas, as are many on here, and they have REALLY helped me...

i had a home made chicken curry tonight which was SOO GOOOD my wife pinched some instead of her fries.. lol.. what a cheek..

I could no more eat PIZZA now then fly to the moon..

all the best..

Tony
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 13:47

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

You could also be experiencing the effects of being in ketosis. It definitely can shut the appetite down for awhile. I have gone through periods of time where nothing at all looked good or appetizing. But your appetite does return. I still go through periods of time like that but now I see them as a blessing because they don't last forever!

I go through weeks where I don't eat eggs or salad much at all. You really have to get creative with your food to keep it interesting. Best of luck to you!

Orchid