Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%
Default Ben and Jerry's vs CarbSmart

I've eaten the carb karma ben & jerry's 2 times since going on Atkins, each time it kills my stomach and then kicks me out of ketosis. The other day I tried a little CarbSmart ice cream and found that I didn't have either of those problems. In fact, I was just working on getting back into ketosis (and wanted to do a little experiment with Ben & Jerry's vs CarbSmart), ate some CarbSmart ice cream and still found that I was more into ketosis the next day.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:13

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Ben and Jerry's has miltitol as its main sweetner, i think Carbsmart uses a less harsh one.. like lacitol maybe? Maltitol is the worst of all the sugar alcohols and stalls much faster, thats probably why. I eat the Blue Bunny Ice Cream and it never stalls me, i love it!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:27
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

It surprised me when the first and only time I ate Ben and Jerrys new line I got very sick. Puzzled me. I too like the blue bunny but taking time away from it all right now.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 09:01

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 143/119.2/95 Female 4'10.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I tried Ben and Jerry's Carb Karma this week because I figured a little container could do a lot less damage than a big container of CarbSmart. Boy, was I wrong. Eating one serving per day, I've gained gradually each day with B&J's. I never had that problem with CarbSmart.

I don't ever plan on purchasing Carb Karma again. It didn't taste as good as CarbSmart and it made me gain. I'll be staying away from lc ice cream in general for a while to help me lose the weight I've regained and regain my momentum, but when I do decide to indulge again, it will definitely be CarbSmart. Yum!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 14:43

Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with problems with Ben and Jerry's. Where do you buy this Blue Bunny stuff? Is it something that's available on the west coast?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 15:11
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

If they sell it in your area, try the LC Mayfield ice cream. In my opinion, it's creamier and better tasting than the Blue Bunny or the CarbSmart.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 17:43

Stats: 228/207/150 Female 5/6"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Is malitol known for causing stomach trouble and gas? I have some Russel Stover chocolates (yummy!) that have mostly malitol. They are so good, but a couple of hours later my stomach isn't feeling too great.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 19:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Blue Bunny brand is sold at Super Walmart, I think.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 19:56

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

CarbSmart Chocolate has 10 grams of carb in 1/2 cup. Of these, 3 are fiber, 4 are sugars and 3 are sugar alcohols.The equivalent Ben and Jerry's Karb Karma Chocolate has 11 grams of carbs, 5 are fibers, 3 are sugars and 2 are sugar alcohols.

Unfortunately, I could not find information on the companies web sites as to what the sugar alcohols were.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 04:28
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/176/150 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress:

Lately, I've been pouring some cream, frozen strawberries and liquid Splenda into my high powered blender, I then blend for about 90 seconds and the end result is tasty ice cream without any sugar alcohols. (see my recipe in the recipe forum)

I haven't exactly derived the carb count of one cup - but it should be low - no carbs in liquid Splenda, approx. one half cup of cream = 3 carbs I think and same for strawberries - so about 6 grams per cup and no stalling additives.

barefoot
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 05:19

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot51
Lately, I've been pouring some cream, frozen strawberries and liquid Splenda into my high powered blender, I then blend for about 90 seconds and the end result is tasty ice cream without any sugar alcohols. (see my recipe in the recipe forum)

I haven't exactly derived the carb count of one cup - but it should be low - no carbs in liquid Splenda, approx. one half cup of cream = 3 carbs I think and same for strawberries - so about 6 grams per cup and no stalling additives.

barefoot

how does a half cup of cream have 3 carbs? All the cream i see at the grocery store has 1 carb per tbsp, there are 8 tbsp is a half cup.. so wouldnt it be 8 carbs?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 16:04

Plan: Vegetarian South Beach
Stats: 134/129/125 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Default Breyers No Sugar Added takes the prize!

Ice cream is my weakness. I love it. However, I figure that when I do indulge, it better be high quality.

Ben and Jerry's low carb wasn't thick enough. I believe I had an almondy flavor... but the flavor was so watered down it tasted like ice.

Carb Smart is good, mind you, but please take note that it is 130 calories and 35% of you daily intake of sat. fat. And that's in a half cup. Honestly, it's impossible to eat just a half cup of that stuff. The texture and flavor, however, is so thick and creamy, and ever soft enough, due to this fat.

As an alternative with just as good flavor, I prefer Breyer's No Sugar Added. It comes in with 90-100 calories per half cup, and much lower fat. Confusingly, the sugar and sugar alcohol content is the same as CarbCount, but it has no fiber and a higher total carb count. Either way, it's a wiser choice for someone watching fat and calories as well, which we must all do. And the flavor is beautiful!