Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 13:27

Plan: LC
Stats: 135/135/115 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 0%
Wink What should I be doing? I'm new to exercising and totally confused...

I have been on and off on the Carb addicts WOE for a while and although I keep falling off the wagon every now and then due to vacation and the sort, I have managed to loose a few pounds.

Now, I want to start exercising and hopefully be able to accomplish my goals. Here is where I stand:

I'm 5'0" even (yes, one of the few, the proud ;-) & 127 lbs.
Last time I had my bodyfat checked it was 28%.
I hold all of my extra lbs in my upper body, especially my back gets very wide and my belly, love handles, etc...
I've read in many places that you cannot do target exercising, but that's really what I want. I would love to have the body like "BUILT" does.
My main goals are:

Small waist, flat abs, & narrow back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what exercises I should start with? What about weights, should I or should I not? I currently own the FIRM DVD's which use weights. I have done them a couple of times and they are pretty good, but I want to make sure I am on the right track and do the right exercises for what I am trying to accomplish.

I appreciate all feedbacks and comments I can get.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:27

Plan: Loony plans
Stats: 205/146/145 Male 5'6" - 167cm
BF:28%/ around 10%/7%
Progress: 98%
Default Welcome

Hi,

Welcome to the low carber forum.
Please check the sticky thread. (The first thread in General exercise)
It is specifically designed for starters.

I am sure you will find more than enough info in there.

After doing that, let us know if you still have further questions.

Good Luck
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:54
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Hi, seriously. We have similar stats (I'm a full 5"1', lol) and 29% BF as of last week (115 pounds currently).

I strongly advise weight training AND cardio. If you have access to a gym, you can usually get a trainer to set you up with a program to start with. If not, I'd recommend Body for Life, or another very structured weight training and cardio program. I think just starting out, it really helps to have an organized plan. You're right, you can't spot reduce, but you will be able to work toward all of your goals through the right combo of lifting and cardio.

Different people here have different opinions about how much cardio vs. how much weight lifting to do. But I think, since you're a beginner, you can't go wrong with a standard, organized training program like BFL.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/115/110 Female 4'10"
BF:32%
Progress: 95%

I am short too (4' 10") and right now I am doing 3-4 firm workouts (the strength training ones like super sculpting, maximum body shaping etc.) and 2-3 days of cardio (3 miles on the treadmill) a week and and getting good results.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:23

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Weights weights weights.. Look up these members for a woman's perspective.
Built, legwarmers and liftnlady. They have great bodies.

Jag
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:51

BF:

Thanks to all for your advice. I will start my FIRM videos which does have some weights and see how that works out for me. I am 33 and never done weights, so I'm afraid to try it out. I believe!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbender
Weights weights weights.. Look up these members for a woman's perspective.
Built, legwarmers and liftnlady. They have great bodies.

Jag

thanks Jag...he is right. You might want to check out Cathe Friedrich videos, she has some terrific weight workouts tapes that should get you started in the right direction. Nothing will change the shape of your body better than working with weights.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 14:20

BF:

I must admit I was fortunate enough to have naturally muscular legs, similar to those as seen in legwarmers pictures, the unfortunate part is that I am so short. The only change I've had in them since gaining weight is that my thighs rub, so that's really my main complaint on my bottom half.

I have noticed that when I first start losing weight it immediately comes off from my lower body and my legs start getting a little bit more muscular which is nice as I don't really have to put much effort into that...but my upper body, now that's another story!

I can be wearing a size 0 pants but an XL Blouse! Right now I wear a 3/4 or 5/6 pants and most XL tops are way tight on me... I know that most women would say they would love to wear a 3/4 pants but most of them probably have the pear shape, which I don't. So it's really the same problem as the pear shape, just reverse!

So I guess my question is besides doing cardio 3-4 times a week, when you say weights, am I to concentrate more on upper body since that is where most of my fat is?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

For your lower body I would say just stick with slightly lower weights and higher reps 15-20 range that will keep them leaner, but still retain the muscle. You do not want to lose the muscle you have as that helps you burn fat at rest and keeps your metabolism high

for your upper body if you have access to a gym, maybe start with 2 full upper body sessions and 1 lower a week. For the upper body keep the reps in the 8-12 range to start, you can go heavier later. You can do cardio 2-3 times a week for 30 mins to start and you can increase down the road when you stall.

If you do not have access to a gym the cathe tapes are good, you can either get the slow and heavy series or the muscular endurnace ones. With a minimal investment in some weights and a few tapes you will be off and running. You can get them on cathe.com, or on ebay...but go to her site and you will see what they are about. She is one of the top step teachers in the country and is in fatastic shape becuase she also lifts.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 14:50

BF:

Thanks for the great info...I was over at that website and found the slow & heavy but can't find the endurance one...is it maybe the Pure Strength series ? Sorry for so many questions, there is just so many of them. I didn't find one that was specifically called Muscular Endurance!
And either one is ok to begin with? thanks a bunch...i'm all pumped now!