Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 10:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/151/145
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Holiday Help!

Okay, for all you LC "veterans" out there. This is my first holiday season since changing my woe, and I am dreading all of the treats and holiday plates that I know people will drop at my house. Can anybody give me hints on how to fight the holiday temptation? Any secrets you have that help you get through this season without ballooning up are most welcome!
Thanks, Tama
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 10:39
Registered Member

Stats: 165/132/125
BF:
Progress: 83%

First thing I'm doing is making a decision as to how I want to treat the holiday. Am I going to be super strict and not enjoy anything (uhhh - no, not for me thanks) or will I allow myself some leniency? Since I have already decided to allow myself some leniency, I decide specific limits. One treat, one day, etc. Like for Thanksgiving, I planned on pretty much taking off the whole weekend - just because I wanted to BUT I also know its easy enough for me to turn around and jump right back on - like I did on Monday. I am sure everybody is different. Then, once I set my limit I simply say no to everything else. This whole WOL is completely mental with me.

My Christmas plan: We have a big family Christmas eve party. I plan on enjoying everything there - not the big cheesecakes but probably some cookies. I will probably also allow myself a few cookies on Christmas day. Then I'm back on. All the other stuff, cookie trays, candy, etc. that come into my house are coming with me right into my office where I can pawn the deadly carbs onto my less enlightened colleagues.

Really though - for me its all in the mental planning aspect. I rarely find that, when I do that, I am tempted to go beyond what I planned. Good luck! I am sure its going to be a toughy for all of us!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 10:50

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

I wouldn't say I am a veteran but I do plan, like DeeSinn, to give my self "time off" in order to indulge a little. For example, I have some expensive chocolate stashed in the freezer and I won't get it out until Christmas Eve/Christmas day.

There are five days that I definitely will allow myself--Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

All that said, I am choosy about what I will indulge in. I don't go hog wild on a day off. I just allow myself a few things that I really miss eating--like good chocolate, a few roast potatoes, gravy, and some higher carbohydrate veggies. But then again, if I feel like a bit of fudge I might have a small piece, etc. On days off I don't obsess over every little extra carb. BUT I do keep recording what I've eaten and I expect that I will retain water for a few days so I know the scale will show that.

Hope that helps.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 12:04

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Smile holidays

this will be my 2nd christmas as a LC'er

the way i look at this is that this WOE is my WOL and christmas and all the other occasions throughout the year have to be lived within that criteria. i'm a carb addict and it just ain't worth it to make exceptions. not everyone would agree but it's how i manage.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 13:43

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

I'm not a veteran, but.... I plan to handle Xmas the same way I handled Thanksgiving. I'm going to make all of the low carb things that I love, a lot of low carb sweets and some ooey gooey casseroles. These foods really satisfy me and make it easy to turn down what ever is being offered. So I will eat something low carb. before I go to a party or dinner. Well, that's what my plan is anyway ;0 Wish me luck. Good luck to you guys too.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 14:09

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi!
Non-veteran here -- but I learned a lesson during this
Thanksgiving......

I took care of everyone else and made sure they had their favorites and yummies, and forgot all about ME!!! I ended up eating only Turkey and black olives and 1 Tablespoon of mashed potatoes. Failed - later on but that is not the issue here.

For the next holidays, I will prepare better, plan better, think of ME --- ME FIRST!! !!! This will help me and I will be able to eat just fine.

This is the only way I see for me.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 14:18

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

I'm new at the lo-carb.....
But I'm thinking if I can get through these holidays without messing up--- its a while before anything else as threatening comes along

If I change my mind--- it will be 1 item only-- like a kid in the candy store picking out one treat !!

Ellie
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 14:49

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%
Thumbs up

Hi Athinme
There is something about this way of life that is a hidden benefit to us care givers....... It makes you make time for yourself. With this way of life I have to shop for me, plan meals for me, make treats for me. It has made me notice how little I actually do just for me. It seems I was always in mommy/wife mode. This way of life has forced me to get in touch with someone I had been ignoring for a long time....me. It feels good too. I've always pampered everyone else, but now it is my turn. It happened totally by accident [just by changing the way I eat]

I now enjoy all the extra things I have to do for myself, I enjoy making myself feel special.

Anyone else?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 15:02

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I am working this Christmas...this a good thing for me. I do not have to prepare a huge meal with all the goodies. My kids will be spending Christmas evening with their dad, and grandma, so they will have their big fancy dinner with them. My husband is following a low fat plan of his own( which I still can't figure out). I have encouraged him to take a trip to his daughters house, but I don't think he will, cuz he will miss me over the holiday. So I may just buy a turkey breast for the two of us, that he can cook up. Then we can have Brussels sprouts and salad, instead of potatoes, and yams. I don't perceive this holiday as being much of a problem. I am thinking about buying a smaller dress size for our Valentines dinner out...so that will help keep me motivated through this tough time.