Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%
Default Trouble running

Since I started LCing it is getting more and more difficult to run. Generally I used to have to stop because of my asthma or breathing, but now I do about a mile and my muscles are exhausted. I have never had this problem, is it because of the low # of carbs. I have about 25 a day. I can hardly make it 2 miles and I used to run about 6-8. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:04

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

You're bonking. Happens to me on my cardio, too. From what I understand, you have two options: slow down and keep going or up your carbs a little, either in general or just before you run. I am not a runner, so hopefully some more experienced ppl will chime in. Galadriell comes to mind. Might pop into her journal.

Good luck!

Friday
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:07

Which do you do? I could up my carbs a tad, do you have any idea how much though?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:22

BF:

Hmm, the amount is very individual, which means it will take some experimentation. I would recommend going up by 20-30 g, with the extra coming about half an hr before you run. Once again, I am not an expert on running. I do cardio plus lifting myself and I need around 80g/day to keep my performance good. On 40 g or less, I can't do the cardio.

Cheers,

Friday
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:25

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Pandora, are you eating enough fat daily?
Fat has more energy than the carbs. I do agree with Friday's to a point. Are you in Ketosis?
How about the daily caloric intake too.
Fat 65% Protein 35% carbs 5%
Jag
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:31

My fat is usually at least 64 but usually higher. My caloric intake is generally about 1600-1800, I just upped it last week. Well... yesterday I was a huge piggy and it was about 2500. Too many nuts and porkrinds. I'm not sure if I am in Ketosis or not, I never keep track because I don't want to stress about it all the time and I know that I would. Since I startded LCing I never really had all of the obvious signs people talk about, keto breath etc.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 08:48

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

It takes a while for your body to get used to burnig fat for energy rather than carbs. I experienced this as well wehn I started low carbing. I had to REALLY cut back on my running/cardio and I used to do aobut 8 miles every day as well. I cut back to doing it only a few times a week, and it was still very hard but my body gradually adjusted (and surprisingly, despite the decreased exercise I lost weight)
I was frustrated though because I would rather be able to run every day so I started ingesting a small amount of carbs just before I ran...either half a banana or half a pack of GU and it hleped. Or, I would have a spoonful of almond butter.
Hope this helps.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 09:02

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll have a salad and veggies before I go running tonight and see how that goes.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 09:51

Stats: 245/216/190 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 53%

I’m suffering the same dilemma. I just started induction again and I am starting to bonk out. I take udos oil in protein powder before I run.

I am experimenting with my self because I believe from the research I have done that if u can just stick with it for 2 or 3 weeks you body will eventually turn over to using fat for energy even during high intensity workouts like running.

Guess we will see. Just thought I would share.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 09:54

BF:

I know there are distance runners who do it LC. I think they say the key is to keep heartreat inside the fat burning zone, and for many this means a slower pace. As the body adjusts, I think the 'zone' widens. Can't speak from experience tho.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:07

It is just sooooo frustrating because it feels like I have taken ten stpes back in my exercising and it makes me feel crappy about myself. It is already a challenge to workout, but then to know it is going to be so difficult to do because you feel like your bod is gonna poop out makes it even more difficult to stick it out. But thank you all for the suggestions, now I just need to keep myself motivated. You will probably hear me bitch some more.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:20

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Pandora,

simply - slow down (11-12 min/mile pace max), start with an 5-7 min warm up, and aim for only 2-3 miles/every other day. Alternate minutes of jog with minutes of walk. It takes time - weeks - for your body to learn to use fat instead of carbs. Yes, I know it is very hard for a previously good runner, but you can do it - see Climbergirl's experience.

I consider myself very fortunate - because I was total beginner runner last January when I started my lc running adventure. I was not only unable to run fast but was unable to run at all. I needed 3 months before I could run/jog constantly (but still slowly) 3 miles - and during the same 3 months my body adjusted to the fat fuel mode. My very senstitive stomach (hardly accepts anything before, during run) was an advantage too, because to run on empty stomach was my default mode.
You can run up to 90-120 min without any carb, IF your run SLOWLY. Do you have heart rate monitor? It can help a lot.

I would recommend you to read Jeff Galloway's or Stu Mittleman's books, they give very detailed explanations on fat/carb running, with plenty of advices, training plans how to change your body to a real fat burner.

Btw there is nothing wrong if you need something before run during induction/20 carb period. (Btw how about increasing your carbs to 40?) If the choice is giving up running or having a little pre workout snack - I would vote for the little snack.

Patience.... You will get back your energy very soon...

Take care: Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, May-19-04 at 10:33.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:32

Thank you Eva! I will def take a look at the books you mentioned.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 10:45

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Galloway's two books, Book of Running and Marathon: You Can Do it - are easy to find in any bookstore or in many public libraries.

Stu Mittleman's Slow Burn is harder to find, but you can order it for less than $10 from Amazon for example.

Btw they not only teach how ot burn fat, how to protect your legs from the very hard task of running, but how to (re)discover the REAL (not speed/ race related) joy of running:-))

Eva