Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/132/125
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Constipation isn't the problem...

Constipation has never been a problem for me with this WOE. But I do get boughts of diarrhea. Not overwhelming or watery. More like very loose, dark greasy stools. I'm sorry this is sort of gross but I wondered what the cause was. It usually hits when I'm heavily into ketosis. Is it a high fat content or what? It usually lasts for a week or so then I'm back to normal. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Just curious. I know many people have problems with constipation but never hear too much about the opposite. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 17:30

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

I'm with you girl. I notice that many do have problems with const. ,but I am the complete opposite. I was wondering [as you are] if that is fat in dem der woods That is what it looks like. I eat a lot of fat, so... I guessed that was why I was so loose and greasy. Yuk, huh? I guess I would rather be like this then backed up. This way I know that I'm not carrying extra weight, because I can't go to the bathroom.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 18:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Check out the Tips section from the menu above, there's a detailed article on this topic by Doreen.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 18:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, it's probably the fat. I experienced this during the initial two weeks of LCing but it went away (transient type). I notice it less and less now that I am eating more protein than fat. You can take a fiber supplement that will "bulk up" the stool; something like psyllium husks or fibercon. There's an article under Low Carb Tips called "Intestinal Health" with some good ideas.

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 07:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Whew!

I signed on this morning... to ask this VERY question. I have noticed the same thing... and getting concerned ... I am a pretty 'regular' and healthy gal and so I was wondering if it was from the LC. I suppose it is all the 'crap' coming out of our bodies.. No offense to anyone!!!!

I may try the psyllium... thanks Nat

Ramona

P.S. Another wierd question. Does anyone experience a wierd build up on their teeth? I do brush regularly (so don't go there ) But find the back of my teeth get a wierd build up... and I really have to pay attention to cleaning them...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:02

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

~RamonaK
Since I'm not eating carby/starchy foods, my teeth feel a lot cleaner. I gargle with Listerine twice a day. We are entering the winter season here and I don't want to get sick. If I gargle once in the morning and before I go to bed at night. It kills all those germs that have accumulated in my mouth over the day [ I was told to do this by a 95 yr old women who was a school teacher for 45 yrs and never missed a day of work. I figured hey if it worked for her,and she was around all those kids..... it has to work for me.] I also don't have the problem (bad breath) that alot of us on this way of life do.