Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 00:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%
Default Stalls AFTER losing 50 lbs?

I have been lucky up until now. I suppose you could say that I am not very insulin resistant and have lost weight fairly easily. Right now I am at 52 lbs lost.

Well, Monday was weigh in day and this is my very first "0" loss week.
Ok, so I dont feel sorry for yourself, as I have done so good, but obviously I am dissapointed.

So, I was wondering if there are others here that had a stall after 50 lbs?
I did have one reply from Mel92 (Thanks Mel!) But I would like a sampling of others and would like SPECIFICS as to:

1. How long the stall lasted
2. What you did to combat it and get the loss moving again.

As I have a big family reunion in 9 weeks (end of july) I sure would love to see about 20 more lbs gone in time for that. If you knew my skinny sisters and the mean comments that I have endured from them for years you would cry as I have done, but this year it will be different and the more I have lost the better!!

Ideas please.
Thank you so much in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 06:10
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I really don't think you can call a one week "0" a stall. Not even close. For a stall you have to have no weight or inches lost for no less than 6 weeks. You have been doing great! And many people on these boards would kill for your results!

Last summer, its seemed to me that the scale stopped moving. So I know how frustrating that can be. It got to the point where I just stopped stepping on the dam thing. I decided that I had lost a good amount of weight, and if my body want to take a rest, so be it. I was going to give my body the time it needed. I just keep on going as I meant to go on. Several months later (ok, really into the fall) it was like every kicked in and I was hitting my first goal! I still do not step on the scale all that often.

You family will be in shock over the weight you have lost, 20 pounds more or less not withstanding. Enjoy yourself now, and stop worring about the future!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 06:24

Thank you! and I know your right that it is not a stall yet.

Please tell me though, what was the time frame that you ceased to lose?

I was just wondering if others found that a break happened after a big loss and what they did to move it along, if anything. And how long it lasted.

I am resigned that it will happen, just would like to know what to "possibly" expect learning from the experiences of the others on the forum.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 06:29
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

All I can really remember was a year ago I was down 35 pounds. Then it took another 6 months before I lost the last 28. For a better point of interest, it took about 3 months to lose the first 35. And now I am down 7 pound from that point, which is about 5 to six months. But my clothing size drop is much better than my weight loss totals.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 06:30

Stats: 245/200/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%

After I hit the 50 pound mark I went into a stall...but I think my woe was mostly to blame. I thought I could 'lay off" over the holidays then just jump right back on the bandwagon where I left off. I hadn't fully committed.
Well...I was lucky...I didn't lose any more but I also didn't gain any either. After being very frustrated I really took a hard look at what I was eating and began searching myself, and my menus, for answers. First thing I got rid of was all the sugar alcohols, and the weight loss started again.
One week at "0" loss does not make a stall. That being said...re-evaluate what you are eating,drink plenty of water, and get a good work out plan.
Good luck...it will be a new you at the family reunion no matter if you have 20 more pounds gone or not.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 06:48

Stats: 359/266/174 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Melissa, I'm feeling the same thing...I'm at 48bls gone and this is my first week without a loss. Even though everyone on these boards says that is not a stall it's still not something I like to see when I haven't changed the way I'm eating. I can't give you advice, but just wanted to let you know "I'm with ya"
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 07:46
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I wish I had better news for you. I started this WOE last September and lost about 10 lbs a month until January when I hit 45 lbs. lost. Then BOOM --- Nothing happened... this actually lasted several months.. Finally in March, I dropped a few pounds and have started moving again. Although I'm definately not moving at the rate I was initially, I'm very pleased to finally being moving again.

Recently, I started eating the Arby's wraps, which are loaded with fiber and contain about 17 carbs. My weight loss as started a little faster. I think it was just time for my body to regroup itself and for me to increase my carb level. Since eating approximately 30 carbs a day, weightloss seems to have restarted.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:04

Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

I have had many weeks with O weight loss (disappointing!) but also many weeks of -1 to -4 lbs. Since you've done so well I wouldn't change anything at this point--just keep on keepin' on and the scales should continue to move. Like we've always said in our family, "Christmas isn't every day!"
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:08

Stats: 297/229/192 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

For a first post this seems as good a thread as any.

I too have lost over 50lbs since 2nd February 2004 (58 to be exact) and in that time I have had 3 weeks where I have not lost any weight (including this week). After a run of 4-3-4 in the preceeding weeks I think my body is just taking a rest before letting some more go!

If it carries on for another week, I might have to start exercising tho'!

#10   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:27

Plan: Low Carb(Atkins)
Stats: 350/288/220 Male 70"
BF:yes !
Progress: 48%

I think my first big stall was around 65 pounds. But then, I have see many stalls in the last year. One stall lasted about 8 wekks. They are a part of the program, and you cannot let it get to you. Just stay the course. I have tried different things to try and break a stall. I swear a couple of times my stall was ended by a big cheat, and then back to induction. (By Big cheat, I mean a big pasta meal with bread. Not a bag of chips,pop and cookies).
However with cheats, you will need to fight the renewed cravings for a few days. My last two stalls were broke by reducing my cal intake down to 1000 for a day or two, then resume back to eating what I want at 20-30 carbs. This is probably a no-no, but it worked.

I think everyone stalls here and there. Just have to think long term! That's why I set weigh goals, but never a date.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:05

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I also had a fairly long stall after losing about 55 lbs. I was so close to goal and it was discouraging. I did stay with the program and upped my exercise by 5 minutes. After about 3 weeks, I started to see the scale moving again.

Stick with it, it will start moving again.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 00:44

I appreciate all the replies. I just hope and pray that I am able to combat it and it doesnt turn into a several month thing.

Maybe I can find some ideas that will make sure it is not prolonged?