Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 15:15

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%
Thumbs down a little confused about ketosis in SB

I was under the impression while doing phase one of SBD you won't go into Ketosis. I have heard that from someone and also when I was reading the book also. I just have noticed that some people have been talking about being in Ketosis on SBD. I would like to avoid that since I am still nursing my daughter. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 15:24

Plan: akins
Stats: 190/190/125 Female 5 4
BF:85%/70%/20%
Progress: 0%

what is ketosis?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 15:52

ketosis is when your body breaks down body fat and turns it into fuel-how you lose weight while doing Atkins
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 250/210/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I've never done Atkins, so I don't know what being in ketosis feels like. How does one know when one is there? I do know that after a couple of days into Phase 1 of SBD I started feeling light-headed, weak, difficulty concentrating, dizzy. By day 6 I could no longer continue phase 1 and moved into phase 2. After a couple of days adding carbs into my diet I felt so much better. So, were the symptoms I had ketosis? Not sure.

According to the book, one is not to go into ketosis. Of course, not knowing how to determine when one is in this situation, it's difficult for me to know.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 18:49

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Twinmom,

I have tried Atkins, hated it, stopped, started again, then switched to South Beach. I am sure I was in Ketosis during South Beach phase 1. Because on SBD you have a list of allowed foods, and don't count, I think there is a lot of personal variation whether or not you go into ketosis (as there is anyway), and having started with Atkins, I was probably still thinking Atkins style - having omelette with a bit of veggie for breakfast and much chicken and egg with a bit of lettuce for Lunch.

I am sure I was in ketosis early on and am sure not now. Signs? Husband complaining I smell weiredly, and half a glass of red wine knocking me out, some lightheadedness. You can find a lot of Ketosis discussions in the Atkins forum. If you want to be absolutely sure, get those sticks. But if you feel fine, and are eating more veggies than the typical Atkins diet, you should be fine. In phase 2 Aktins folks often are still in ketosis, but if you are having any whole grain cereal or bread or fruit, you can't be in ketosis. Don't worry - if you feel well, you should be fine. If not, you can try to increase healthy carbs.

Team Gal, you may have been in ketosis, but those symptoms can also happen when you don't drink enough, which is easy in the first phases when you need a lot of liquid!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 19:23

Monika- have you heard anything about it being bad for nursing? I am not concerned about myself but more about my daughter. I do know that some nursing lacation consulnats will tell you to cut our dairy and stuff like that to help with gassyness in a baby. I have tried to find out some info on it but haven't been able to.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 19:49

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Ketosis is a fairly dramatic change in your body's physiology - the normal biochemistry every medical student learns - glycosis - doesn't happen. I would say there can't have been enough studies on that to be sure one way or another. I don't think anyone here or anywhere can give you a scientific answer but I would try to not be in ketosis while nursing. But if you feel fine and aren't loosing weight, I can't imagine you are in ketosis!

I believe SBD recommends phase 2 when you are pregnant or nursing and for teenagers, not phase 1. Thats what I would do to be safe - you can't possibly be wrong if you do phase 2 and drink enough! You must feel like a horse because I remember drinking like crazy when nursing (I nursed 2 kids, 1 year each), and I drink a lot on the diet - especially like now when I want to get out of a stall! If you keep drinking and good carbs and good fats, you should be fine.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 19:54

Default Monika-Thanks

Monika-
so you think eating eggs and chicken and lean meats and good veggies and a small amount of skim milk will be good? I just would like to lose. I did nurse my twins for 7 months but I never dieted and I gained so much weight! I am going to not eat any wheat products or fruits for a bit. Think that should be okay?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 22:24

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

Many people can get into ketosis with under 100 grams of carbohydrate per day. Which is easy to do under PHase 1 of the diet, or even phase 2 depending on your vegetable and fruit choices. The more beans and whole grains you choose, the less likely ketosis will occur. I never bothered testing for it though.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:32

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 181/171/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I never went into ketosis in ph1 or even in the 6 months I did Atkins with induction level carbs. I *have* gone into ketosis during phase 2 though, many times actually. Usually its days that I've exercised a lot or the day after. I dont eat fruit or whole grains every day though so that might have something to do with it.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:37

Thanks Meadow-I just really don't want to go into ketosis right now while I am nursing. I have been excercising at least 2x a week-if I can make it 3x I will.Thanks