Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/149/145 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Will excercise affect my weight loss?

I have been on Atkins for the last 6 weeks and am feeling and doing great (if I may say so). But, I haven't done any real excercise or workout since I began. I have heard stories of 'gaining weight' because ? muscle weighs more than fat, etc. that I am afraid I might stall my progress. Anyone else have these concerns? Am I out in left field on this and should start excercising again? Appreciate your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:16
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Only for the better.

It won't stall your progress. With exercise you can weigh 145 and look like you weigh 120 cause you've toned and tighten that body up.

#3   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:27

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

Muscle does weigh more than fat, but you'll be amazed at how you will lose inches even when your weight stalls. Go for the exercise, you'll never regret it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:30

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%

Please start exercising!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 10:21

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

As the doctor said, if you aren't exercising, you aren't doing Atkins.
It is not optional.

Building muscle *might* slow the pounds coming off, but the bigger muscles you have, the more fat you burn even at rest. Is your goal really to just please the scale, or is it to be thin?

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 10:35
Registered Member

Stats: 190/149/145 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 91%
Thumbs up

Okay!! You got me convinced. Thanks for your helpful advice.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 22:07
Registered Member

Stats: 145/145/130 Male 5"7'
BF:
Progress:

Muscle has more mass than fat, so it's heavier, which may seem like the pounds come off slowly, but you are actually tonig your body so you look better.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 22:16

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Here's a visual that works for me...A pound is a pound. Picture a pound of feathers and a pound of butter. Muscle(butter) takes up less space than fat(feathers). You can weigh the same amount made of muscle that you do now (as fat) and you will take up less space. Plus, if you exercise, your metabolism will run quicker, you will sleep better, have more energy, nicer skin, the list of benefits is pretty much endless!! Go for it!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 23:07

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

I don't know why people are so afraid of putting on muscle.

Any weight you put on will be good weight.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 23:20
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmuffinn
I have been on Atkins for the last 6 weeks and am feeling and doing great (if I may say so). But, I haven't done any real excercise or workout since I began. I have heard stories of 'gaining weight' because ? muscle weighs more than fat, etc. that I am afraid I might stall my progress. Anyone else have these concerns? Am I out in left field on this and should start excercising again? Appreciate your thoughts!

Hi there!
Congratulations on starting this!

I just looked at your progress! Well done!

You are right now at approximately the point I was at about three years ago when I started.

A natural woman, doing heavy weightlifting, MIGHT put on 10-12 pounds of muscle in her first year of lifting. After that, she MIGHT be able to put on another 2 or 3 pounds a year of muscle if she REALLY pushes it. I know. I'm one of those women who tries.

I lost over 25 pounds my first year on Atkins. I started lifting partway into that year. If I managed to gain 10 pounds of muscle in that first year, then I actually LOST 35 pounds of fat. Women DO gain muscle, but it's REALLY slow. Fat loss is MUCH faster and easier, by comparison. And the muscle-gain actually speeds up the fat loss.

Have a look at my gallery to see what weightlifting did for my body.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 08:08
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

It sure has helped me. I use to think with all I do every day with the buisness, taking care of the house, chassing 4 kids around etc..... that I get more than enough exercise, Pfffft, I lied to myself for way too long.Now Im off my duff and doing somthing about it. Sure has helped when Im stressed or can't sleep. It has improved so many areas of my life.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 09:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 159/127/105 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

I started exercising a week before starting Atkins. The exercise, however small, will make you feel way better. I too sat on my butt for far too long and felt bad. Between the exercise and the atkins, I feel fantastic. If you are just starting after a long period of inactivity start small and build up. You will actually start to not mind the work out and have way more stamina and strength.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 09:16

Plan: General
Stats: 229/196/125 Female 5'3""
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default start exercising

I started the whole low carb thing a month ago. My third week I didn't lose a pound. I started exercising this week (I walk 20minutes 2 x's a day) and lost 2 lbs. So start exercising.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 10:05

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

No matter what eating plan you follow, exercise is a must and will help you look and feel better. If it helps any, I do at least an hour of exercise every day. That's two half hour sessions per day (minimum), alternating strength training (weights)/HIIT/Cardio/Power Yoga (on hiit days), etc. One week about a month ago I lost only .5lb, and another I lost nothing, but I lose roughly 1 - 1.5 lbs a week with no gains. YMMV, but as others have pointed out having heavy muscle is much better than having fluffy fat.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 10:45
Registered Member

Stats: 206/199/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Exercise every day....If you don't use it you will lose it...Talking from exerience..I keep truging along in my walking and bike riding every day as I know every time I stop doing it...it gets harder and harder...Get Going please...now