Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 19:27

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Question about induction and a request...

First of all, my journal says it all. I'm thrilled that things are going well and I'm having no trouble making the lifestyle change. I'm clearly in deep purple ketosis (also I can tell by the taste in my mouth...).

My first question: Induction is meant to induce your body to burn fat for energy instead of sugar. So once we hit ketosis, are we supposed to move to the next stage? Or stay on induction? Can I stay on it until I lose all my weight?

Second, would someone please check my fitday at http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=Emeraulde and let me know how I'm doing? Fitday messes with the carb count and doesnt' take into account fiber or sugar alcohols, which I don't have much of, but there are a couple in there. I want to make sure that I'm doing this right. I feel confident, but it wouldn't be the first time I had felt good then realized I was doing it wrong.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 19:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Atkins said that a person could stay on Induction as long as they felt alright and were losing. But other writings have suggested that Induction is what you go back towhen you stop losing.

Bodies adjust to the lowest carb levels if you stay on them. If you haven't increased the carbs as in Ongoing Weight Loss, then you have nothing to go back to.

All of Dr. A's books said that Induction was 2 weeks. And then you added some 5 gr. of good carbs per week.

The longer you can stay away from sugar alcohols, the better. I still don't trust the statements that say that "maltitol doesn't count."
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there!

You are not eating an induction menu with this many carbs. Induction means <20g net carbs for two weeks.

However, if you are in ketosis, and losing weight, leave it alone.

Ignore the calories burned thing on fitday - just use it for macronutrient percentage breakdowns. No less than 65% cals from fat, and the rest at about 30% from protein and 5% from carbs. You'll fiddle with this until you find your "mix".

Now, if you feel good, and continue to lose, stay where you are. If you find you're struggling with your diet, and cannot stick to it, start raising your daily carbs by 5g a week as suggested until you stop losing, then pull them back.

FATS HIGH! Always! And lots of water.

I STILL live on 40-50g carbs on most days, have since the fall of 2001, and I've had kidneys tested, lipids, everything is normal.

Good luck!

- Built
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 20:35

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

I know that induction is supposed to be less than 20 carbs. I have been eating that, but fitday does not allow for fiber subtracted from carbs. I'm usually right on 20.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fitday is a bit of a pain, but it DOES subtract the carbs from the percentages of total cals - as long as % cals from carbs are under 5% and the fats are over 65%, you're laughing.

It doesn't really matter anyway - you are in ketosis, and that's the big deal.

Good job. You can keep it going as long as you don't stall. When you are stalled for more than a month (I'm so encouraging LOL!) start a thread and drop me a PM, and we'll all come a runnin' to the rescue. We've all been there.

Keep up the good work!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 07:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/185/167 Female 5ft. 6in.
BF:I don't wanta know
Progress: 87%

Hi,
I don't use fitday too often, just occasionally, but I think they do list the fiber you are eating, and you can just subtract it yourself. When I have used it, and subtracted the fiber, I am usually within a few tenths of a carb in my own records. As long as you are losing and feeling good, I would just not worry about it. After all, isn't that what you are trying to do. Lose weight and feel good. Just keep doing what you are doing. You are doing great.
Martha