Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/255/170 Male 5 ' 10"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Gained 4lbs since yesterday :(

Hi,

I gained 4lbs since yesterday and I am getting discouraged.

During Induction, I lost 15lbs. On my 15th day into the diet I had a wrap from Subway rated at 6 carbs.and 2 servings of Carb Solutions ice cream rated at 3 carbs per serving. I gained a couple lbs the next day.

After practically fasting for 2 days I dropped down to a total loss of 16 lbs, (this was yesterday).
Then along with my usual meals, Pepperoni, Chicken Breast, and Clausen pcikles, ( I am a bad cook so I eat deli meats), I had 2 servings worth of Carb Solutions ice cream and today I am 4lbs heavier. How is that even possible?

Last time I went on Atkins I did induction for 4 monts then fell off the wagon because I was missing foods I liked. After seeing all these low carb items, I decided to start again and it is working great. I have no cravings and am eating less but if these low carb foods are going to make me gain what is the sense?

Last edited by tubby : Fri, May-14-04 at 11:35.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:36

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Although I don't doubt that your scale (the monster) told you that you weighed 4 lbs more than yesterday, realistically it is impossible to gain four pounds of fat in one day. Your body is probably just adjusting. As so many people have said so often: this is not a quick fix diet. You might think about saving the low-carb ice cream for a very rare treat. Also, I think it is a mistake to stay on induction for long periods of time. In the long run, it is better to gradually increase the veggies, fruit, nuts -- that helps with cravings and is much healthier for daily consumption than the synthetic foods (IMHO). Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 159/127/105 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

I think it's the ice cream.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 12:06

Stats: 256/253/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

water, menstral cycle,clothing alot of things can account for your scale telling you these things. I can not weigh every day, I get discouraged. ONCE A WEEK is all I can take on the scale. Daily weight fluxuates so much STAY AWAY FROM THE SCALE!

Just my opinion I could be wrong
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 12:07

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

First of all between the peperoni and pickles you had some pretty hefty sodium consumption going on... second of all maybe you should read this article to help with the "Low carb" ice cream:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182859

In the end your best bet if you are a real ice cream eater is to purchase a nice little ice cream maker where you have control of all the ingredients that go into it. Plus, just think of all the flavors you can make up!

Jenn
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 12:09

Stats: 285/258/175 Female 5'5.5 inches
BF:53%
Progress: 25%

I had the same thing happen to me and it was water weight! The next day I went to the bathroom like there was no tomorrow. Check you sodium intake, are the deli meats hi in sodium. I'm pretty sure pickles are. You might want to go low sodium for a few days and see if that makes a difference!

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 12:34

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I'd stick with the real foods and stay away from low-carb versions of the stuff that made us heavy to begin with (cookies, ice cream, etc.). These items are more for an occasional treat and then if you're close to goal. Are you eating the alloted veges? Are you drinking the water? www.fitday.com is a great resource that tracks all food and nutrients, and from what you've said, sounds like you're packing away a lot of sodium, which can definitely cause water retention. The deli meats are fine in moderation, but it sounds like you're eating a lot of them. Chicken & steak are easy to cook and this site has lots of recipies. Eggs & turkey bacon are great dinners too.

Are you exercising? The key to keeping the weight off will be daily movement of 30 minutes or more a day.

You also have to question your 'readiness' to lose the weight. If the foods you ate that weren't so good for you made you heavy, simply switching to low-carb versions of the same won't take the weight off. Induction is meant to help relieve people of the strong cravings to carbs that got us all here to begin with. Once you do a clean induction for 2 weeks, you'll find you really don't want the carb-laden foods (low-carb or otherwise) in your diet anymore.

Low carb is a lifestyle change, and success is measured by being ready, being willing to make the changes for success, and creating your environment to allow you to lose weight and keep it off. Dr. Phil's Weight Loss book is also a great resource.

Good luck!

LL
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 12:53
Registered Member

Stats: 277/255/170 Male 5 ' 10"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Are you exercising?

Hell no!!

I did do a clean induction for 2 weeks and lost most if not all cravings. I just thought that I could eat low carb and have low carb treats and continue to lose.

I will cut down on the sodium and save the ice cream for once a month or so.

Thanks for all the replies

Last edited by tubby : Sat, May-15-04 at 02:54.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 13:34

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%

Stay Away From The Scale!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 13:56

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Dont always trust your scale anyway! I had a sunbeam scale (digital) that I finally realized wasnt working properly. If I got on it 10 times in a row it would never read the same weight twice but would vary as much as 3-4 lbs. So I returned it and got a Taylor brand and its very consistent. But.....and I am struggling with this myself ....try not to weigh very often. I get on the scale every morning....trying to break the addiction!