Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 15:59
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Take The WAVY Diet Challenge

Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watcher, or old-fashioned exercise and watching what you eat - which works best for losing weight?

WAVY News 10 is putting these diet programs to the test.

Four women - each with different reasons for wanting to lose weight - will try and drop the pounds, each using a different method.

The four agreed to let 10 On Your Side follow their progress - even stepping on the scale live in the WAVY News 10 studios!

Today, the WAVY Diet Challenge takes a closer look at the benefits - and risks - of the Atkins Diet.

----------------------

Many of us were downright confused when the high fat Atkins Diet arrived on the scene as a weight loss break through - but not Diane.

"It made sense, because if you cut out sugar, you're going lose weight," says Diane, who happens to be a biology major. "Or lose carbohydrates because that leads to fat, and if you're not taking in fat, you're going to lose weight."

Atkins promises to change your body from a sugar burning machine to a fat burning furnace - importantly the fat you already have.

"I had immediate results right away," says Diane. "I mean even after the first week of doing it, everybody was saying 'you look like you're losing weight.'"

Atkins is not only high fat, but high protein. In the first of four phases, dieters are supposed to eat lots of meat, eggs, cheese and butter - but no fruit, grains, or nuts. Dieters can eat some vegetables, like lettuce and sprouts, but no more than three cups a day measured raw.

While those looking to lose weight swear by Atkins, medical professionals are not so sure.

"There's a lot of adverse effects in that you need carbohydrates to get oxygen to your brain," says nurse Sharon Salsman of the Maryview Cardiac Wellness Center. "Carbohydrates are the main fuel source for your body. If you're exercising, you need to replenish your energy level with carbohydrates."

"Where you have the potential to get in trouble," says Dr. Allison Christian Taylor, "is if it's not done correctly and you have a build up of what we call ketones - where people talk about being in ketosis. Sometimes that has the potential to affect other organs of the body like the kidneys."

In the second, third and fourth phases of the Atkins Diet, fruit, more vegetables and some grains come back, but in moderation. Protein is still the foundation of the diet.

"I haven't been really strict about it," says Diane. "I've learned to moderate the way I eat. That's the main thing I've learned."

http://www.wavy.com/global/story.as...tType=Printable
Sponsored Links