Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 08:17

Plan: Healthy Balance (my own)
Stats: 220/192/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Are Atkins shakes ok for induction?

I discovered the canned Atkins shakes and am thrilled to have a breakfast option! I've never been big on breakfast, but this helps a lot. I then wondered if it was ok to drink them during induction. Gosh I hope so...I've only got another week to go for induction I think, unless I misunderstood. I'm no longer craving sweets, and I'm definately in ketosis, so I think I'm doin good!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

You should stick to all natural foods until you are out of induction, even then some people experience stalls from various LC products so you have to be careful. I know it is hard, but it will pay off and you will be able to have them soon.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 08:34

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

According to the Atkins website they are OK for all Phases.
I second Pandora on the real foods. I TRY not to eat anything not natural. I just started eating the Mock Danish with Cinnamon instead of 50/50 jams and such.
I also make a hot cereal close to Malt o meal.
Using hot water, cinnamon , salt and a pkt of Splenda.
heat the water and add the ingredients and let is sit 2 minutes.
Keeps you regular too!
Jag
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 08:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

I luv the mock danish, that and the french toast made out of porkrinds, yummy!!!! You can find the recipe in the kitchen section of this website. They really helped if I was having sweets cravings too. Not to mention they really fill you up. I would just make them the night before and then heat them up when I got to work.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 09:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

I really, really don't trust any of that stuff. It's OK as a backup in an emergency, I suppose, but personally I'd not rely on them. The whole idea is to eat whole, natural stuff. I'd not be suprised if we see a "new" generation of low-carb dieters that don't loose as easily because the money-makers say it's OK to have shakes & bars all the time...

I'm not a big breakfast eater, either, but I do eat now once I get to the office so I can take my suppliments & get my day started off right. Favourites are devilled eggs, or moc macaroni & cheese (stuff that can be prepared in advance).
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:00

BF:

I'm all for the healthy and natural stuff too (btw...pork rinds=NOT healthy and natural! lol!) Pretty much every other meal and snack I eat freshly prepared whole foods. I just want something I can grab for breakfast that isn't an egg. I don't like eggs much. The mock danish is ok...but just ok. I think I'll see how I do in the next couple of days, and if I stall, I'll cut them out. I'm cutting out coffee because I found out that their low carb version of the frappe mix we use has sugar alcohols which I don't agree with. So it's not like I'm gorging myself on low carb candy and cookies. I just want a shake for breakfast when I don't have time to cook.

I'll go ahead and use them a few days cautiously, and report my progress Sound fair?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:01

BF:

Oh...and I am interested in the cereal, but can't have it in induction.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Honestly, I never gave up coffee! I *love* my coffee, and it doesn't cause any cravings (I know there are folks that just can't do coffee without wanting something bad with it). I use heavy whipping cream and DaVinci syrups, which are made with sucralose (no carbs!). MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM the touch of cherry syrup I used this morning was niiiice . Sweet, too, which I suppose is probably my only major splurge.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:09

BF:

Ahhh well see *my* coffees are the frozen blended type. A year ago for our anniversary hubby bought me an espresso machine and a really fancy blender, so I have been ordering "no sugar added" mix since then and making them at home with sugar free syrups made with splenda. Only problem is, the mix I'd been using was like 28 carbs! No thanks! So the local coffee stand had a low carb version and I was thrilled. Yesterday I found out that it's sugar alcohols Now I'm thinking I can just have a shake instead and maybe add my espresso to a chocolate shake with ice MMMmmmm that sounds yummy! Hubby might even go for that!