Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/235/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Question Ladies Please: Question about TOM

I am on day 20 of Atkins and while I feel great and am losing weight, my menstrual cycle is significantly late. I've never had any problems in that area, always regular. I was curious as to whether or not any of you experienced anything similar when you began. I am contributing it to exercise and will of course seek medical attention if it doesn't come soon but thought I would ask here just the same.
jillinmo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 06:52
O2B PB Free!

Plan: LC
Stats: 242/229/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I no longer have a menstrual cycle due to surgery, so I can't speak from experience on this (being caused by the change in eating). However, I wouldn't think going low carb would cause this. Could be any number of things, from stress, to pregnancy or menopause (depending on your situation, of course), to just having your body readjusting for some reason.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:01
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

I also no longer have a menstrual cycle but I have read several posts regarding heavy and painful periods after starting this WOE. Hormones are stored in fat and as the fat is burned the hormones are released. Some women experience increased PMS, pain, and heavier flow like when they were teens and first experiencing their TOM.

You could do a search on past threads "TOM", but I know lots of nice ladies will post here with great advice for you.
And I must ask the obvious...could you be pregnant?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 07:45

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

In fact, starting low carbing CAN be the direct cause of menstrual irregularities in the first months. Your body has changed from using insulin to process (and store) your food and is now using glucagon to break down stored fat.

Insulin and glucagon are both "master hormones" in the body. As such, they affect ALL the other hormone systems, including estrogen and progesterone and the rest which are associated with reproduction.

As the body adjusts to the new hormone condition, it is entirely usual, normal and quite common to skip a period, have an early period, have a lighter OR heavier period or have breakthrough bleeding while taking BCP.

I skipped one when I started but was back on the usual track for the second month. Some people take 3 months to adjust. If, after that you aren't back to a new normal, see your doctor.

By the way, did you know that low carbing is a prescribed and recognized treatment for a condition called PCOS? It has a number of symptoms which include infrequent or non-existant periods & infertility. (There's a forum on this board for it.) PCOS is now recognized as a disease caused by insulin resistance and low carbing reverses that condition. Powerful stuff, isn't it?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 08:10

Stats: 259/229.5/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Haven't a clue
Progress: 27%

I wish I had some sort of helpful answer for you, but my TOM has always been all over the place. I personally am hoping that LC-ing it will bring about some regularity.

Unless, of course, there is going to be a little one heading your way...?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 08:50

Stats: 250/-/- Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 22%

First, everyone is different, but for me I have been late since I started LCing. First month, I went 34 days, second 32 days, 3rd, 30 days and so far on this one I am at 31 days and still no sign. No, I am not pregnant. I honestly think that our bodies are reacting to the change in our eating habits and exercise habits, either more exercise or just exercise in general. I wouldn't stress it too much, but to be on the safe side, go see your gyn.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 09:41

Plan: Carnivoire
Stats: 373.6/373.6/150.0 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Am curious myself for more reply's. I currently don't have TOM (thank you depo) but plan to go off depo in a year or so (to start a family) and was wondering what this WOL would do to my OLD TOM.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 10:08

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

I am on continuous BCP to prevent painful TOM due to a fibroid - and I've had spotting since I started this WOE in January. I think I've bought more panty liners in the last few months than I have in my whole life!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 13:17
Registered Member

Stats: 290/235/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Thanks for all of the information. I had a partial hysterectomy back in 92' (tubal ligation) so there's no chance of a pregnancy. Other than the lapse in menses, I feel terrific. I might just make a courtesy call to my GYN to be on the safe side. You all are so informative...this is such a great support system.
Thanks again ladies.
jillinmo
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:16
Registered Member

Stats: 332/308/180 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 16%

It's very common to have irregular periods when starting on LC. I've never had that problem, but ladies on another board discuss this at least once every two weeks when a new crop of beginners are confused.

As was mentioned above, you're dealing with insulin and glycogen. (I'm not a science geek, so forgive me for not being too technical in my next sentences.) It's also been said that fat cells store estrogen. As we lose weight, the cells shrink and estrogen is released into our bodies...which can cause some interesting "female" reactions.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 17:56

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

i am on depo too- evil evil drug grrr. i hadnt had my TOM at all while on it, as soon as i started dieting & exercizing it came back in full force and i had it for 2 weeks. ugh. i actually thought something was seriously wrong with me- having had 2 csections, i thought i mighta hurt myself exercizing, but nope- just threw my hormones for a loop. i cant wait for it to wear off so i can start losing more- faster.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 06:50
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Yeah, LC can wreck havoc with hormones.

I have endomitriosis, and my doctor encouraged me to keep my carbs under 20g/day to help with the symptoms.

I have had some problems with breakthrough bleeding and abnormally long periods (even when on birth control) but I also take my pills back to back for three or four months at a time, with only a couple breaks for periods a year, just because they're so horrificly painful for me.

Although it may cause some confusion in the short term, in the long run, it seems to be helping with a whole host of things--it's amazing to learn how many of our problems can be traced to insulin and carbs.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 23:23

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

My first period was on time. All was good.

The second one.. ugh... cravings were terrible. Bloating started when my period was due.. but it ended up being 12 days late. So I was bloated that entire time.

The third one, which started today (finally).. was similar to the second, but only 8 days late. The bloating both this and last time seemed to begin to drop off the day my period started. Had some cravings this time, but nothing bad. Actually started craving stuff on the plan!