Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 05:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Diuretics

Anybody out there on blood pressure medicine and diuretics? Has anybody lost weight while on these medications? I go see the doctor in June again but everything I have read says that diuretics hinder weight loss. Anybody in my shoes?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 05:40

Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Yes my doc wants me to take diuretics for another 2 months despite the fact that this diet had brought my bp down into the normal range for the first time in years!

I have lost whilst being on them.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 05:41

Stats: 000/000/160 Female 5'8"
BF:Don't/Want/To know
Progress: 0%

I'm not on blood pressure medicine, but I am on diuretics. I lost 25 lbs in the first 2 weeks, so no they didn't hinder my weight loss.

Good luck to you.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 05:41
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Yep, that would be me.

When I started Atkins in January I was on Lopressor (a beta-blocker) and HCTZ (diuretic). I lost fine the first two weeks then stalled for three weeks. I began losing veeeeery slooowly. I had seen in the Atkins book and other places that these two drugs could really mess up weight loss. So I went to my doctor and he agreed to take me off of those and switch me to Atacand, which he thought would not inhibit my weight loss.

Still the pounds moved oh-so-slow. I did some research and found a spot on the Atkins site where a nutritionist specificially said that Atacand would slow weight loss. So, because my blood pressure was getting so low (107/76) I cut my prescription in half, and lost three pounds almost immediately. But since then, still slow.

I tried to cut the dose to 1/4, but BP went up a little, so decided I'll have to wait until I've lost a little more weight.

In Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution Dr. A talks about vitamins/nutrients that can be used to supplement prescriptions or in place of when possible. I have added Taurine, CoQ10 and L-Carnitine to try to bring BP down so that I can maybe get off prescription. I don't want to take prescription, plus I think it might be still slowing my weight loss. I won't know for sure until I can get completely off.

That's my take for now. Hope that helps!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 05:50

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

I was taking 20 mg of accupril for about 2 years when I started Atkins in May 03. Last fall my doctor took me off the med when my weight had fallen well below what it was before he put me on the accupril.

I see him tomorrow for a physical after almost 1 year on Atkins.
I hope that he is as impressed as I am with my progress.

So my advice to you is lose the weight, and convince your doc that you can lose the meds too. Good Luck!!!