Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 21:13

Plan: sbd
Stats: 230/230/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Alcohol!?!?

Hi, I'm a college student at chico state and jsut started a low carb diet. Im in the first phase and was wondering about alcohol. It is a pretty common thing for me to drink about 2-3 nights a week. i was wondering is alcohol is allowed. i've heard vodka and rum have no carbs, but that sounds iff to me. is there anything wrong with drinking booze during the first phase/induction period?

Need to know fast, big party on friday!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 21:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Alchohol will slow your weight loss as the body will burn alcohol as a fuel before it turns to body fat, but as long as you drink in moderation it is ok IMHO. You do need to make appropriate alchohol choices though.

Most spirits have little or no carbs but if you mix them even with diet mixers you may have a problem as the artificial sweeteners particularly Nutrasweet/Aspartame stalls some people as well as having potentially adverse affects on your health. Choose the "on the rocks" option.

Dry wine (red or white) has about 4 - 6 carbs per glass, so as long as you stick to a glass or two, again the only difficulty is slowing your weight loss.

Beer is much higher in carbs although you can get low carb/ low alcohol versions these days.

The main problem about any "big party" is that you have too much of whatever you decide to drink, and then indulge in the very high carb snack foods that will no doubt be on offer.

You might want to check out Banting's "Letter on Corpulence" for a historical viewpoint of low carbing - and weight loss with alcohol.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/index.html

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 00:20

BF:
Progress:

thanks for the answer and info. anyone else got any ideas?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Also, as you continue low carbing, you will find your tolerance changes. We joke here about being "cheap dates" because less alcohol has the same effect.

One person I know complained that their usual practice of a high carb meal before drinking had to be skipped, and they had gotten used to that.

I like dry wines and flavored vodka, and even beer comes in low carb versions. I'm just fortunate that I rarely like beer.

But you certainly can have some drinks on this plan. The important thing is to go slow, eat some protein and fat before you start, and remember you want your body to change, so you will also have to deal with change.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 10:53

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

I think that the carb amt given for wine is incorrect but I am not sure. If you do a serach online you should be able to find a more accurate amt. I think it is more like .4/ per glass. Also, anything that is a proof is pretty much carb free, unless you get into the raspberry stoli and flavoured drinks. Those have about .6 per shot I believe. I mix my drinks with the different flavored diet rites and when I'm out I get rum and coke. We also make jello shots with vodka and the carb free jello. Hope that helped.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 10:57

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

#7   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 13:39

BF:
Progress:

thanks for all the help, i just recently became a member of this site and the forums, you have all been really nice and helpful.. THANK YOU!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 13:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have found it slows down my weightloss, so I'm going to avoid alcohol until I get to maintenance.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 00:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Wine carbs are determined by how sweet the wine is (ie. the residual sugar not turned into alcohol) The Atkins carb counter puts red wine at 2.0 carbs per 4 oz glass. If you use that as a rough guide (red wine being normally fairly dry) you will have some idea. Note that a 4 oz glass is a small glass!

If you start drinking sweeter styles you will be getting more carbs - right up to the sweet fortified drinks like port and liqueurs which would be pushing double figures.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 04:42

Plan: Moderate carbs
Stats: 155/151/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 40%

I just drink either run and diet coke or vodka and diet 7-up/sprite. I gave up beer in February. Alcohol dosen't stall me at all I have found. Actually I "lose" a bit after a night of drinking probably due to dehydration but hey I like the scale in the morning lol.