Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:49

Plan: IR
Stats: 297/267/150 Female 66"
BF:Goin' Down!
Progress: 20%
Default Anyone use (or supplement with) weight loss shakes?

I am not a good breakfast eater and have never eaten breakfast. I think that's one of the hardest parts for me. I've been looking for a shake to drink in the morning. I can't stand the taste of slimfast (and its too high in carbs).

A friend of mine just started Herbalife and I thought about looking into that to drink in the mornings on my way to work.

Any ideas? I know that eating bfast is key to weight loss and I feel better when I do, but I usually can't force myself to eat anything before 10:00 am.

I thought about making my own shake, but am not sure what to put in it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 08:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/208.8/130 Female 5 FT 5 IN
BF:
Progress: 39%

The last thing I want to do when I get up in the morning is cook. I appreciate having the ready to drink shakes available. I've tried them all and the only ones I like are the Atkins brand. The vanilla in particular. My husband prefers the chocolate.
I've thought of making my own with whey protein, but at this point it seems like too much prep work and clean-up for me in the morning. I'm sure I'll get to that point where I want to try it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 09:38
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

EAS makes a ready to drink shake in Vanilla and Chocolate. I prefer vanilla but the chocolate is doable. If I eat a "bad" (too many calorie) breakfast I have one for lunch. If I do a buffet for lunch (even just eating LC stuff) I will do a shake for dinner.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 10:24

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

i dont like shakes or bars or anything like that. for breakfast for me- its eggs. mostly boiled. i boil a dozen on sunday and eat em all week- for breakfasts, for snacks, etc. u can make scrambled eggs in the microvave too. scramble em up in a microwavable safe bowl and cook for 1 min per egg. and if breakfast leaves u with that yucky feeling like it used to do me- just eat the whites, they're alot lighter than the whole egg. does herbalife still have ephedra in it?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 256/233.6/150 Female 62 inches
BF:50
Progress: 21%
Wink

I am not a morning person and wait till the last possible second to get out of bed. Of course this means not having time for breakfast so I bring my breakfast to work and ususally eat about 9:30/10:00. I was doing the hard boiled eggs but got tired of it so I've been cooking a large pan of canadian bacon, onion, bell peppers, mushrooms and whatever other vegs I have on the weekend and keep it in the refrig. Each evening while cooking dinner, I scramble eggs with some of the precooked vegs making certain not to overcook the eggs. I put it in a microwaveable container and sprinkle some cheese on top. Pop in the frig and my breakfast is ready to go. Microwave at work while pouring a cup of coffee and I've got everyone wanting me to share my breakfast. I also keep a box of Uncle Sam's cereal (high fiber, low sugar) in my desk in case I forget to bring my breakfast. Also, remember breakfast does not have to be eggs, cereal, or the ususal normal breakfast. It can be leftovers from the previous nights dinner, turkey and cheese rollups, vegetables, or anything that fits your eating plan.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 11:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Many people I have talked to, myself included, aren't hungry until later in the morning. The worst thing about this is your body needs this nutrition to get your metabolism going. It fires up your furnace to start burning calories. When I didn't eat anything for breakfast, it would seem I would overeat in the evenings.

I guess planning, as mentioned in previous posts, is the key. I don't drink many shakes at all anymore since I am working on eating more "whole" foods. I usually have egg whites, sometimes with a little turkey ham or LC veggies. But I don't see anything wrong with it if they agree with you and don't make you crave or stall.

I also bake LC/high protein flaxmeal muffins that I use for breakfast sometimes. They are good to eat on the run.

When I make my own shakes I just use a LC whey powder, water and ice. If you have the carbs you can add strawberries. I also use to add sf yogurt after I lifted and that was really yummy.

Mary
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 12:01

Plan: IR
Stats: 297/267/150 Female 66"
BF:Goin' Down!
Progress: 20%

Herbalife doesn't have ephedra, at least not the type that my friend is using. I just checked out some LC shake recipes here and found some good ones.

I may have to re-think my strategy for b-fast. I could make up some pin-wheels using LC tortilla. I just thought a shake would be easy too.

Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 12:50

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%

I have a good friend who lost over a hundred pounds using the herbal life plan. She actually became a distrubuter to get it cheaper . I do not know if she is still doing it, or something else now as she still has a lot to lose.
I love the shakes first thing in the morning, and they tide me over until I feel up to cooking and eating a real meal a bit later in the morning. Hubby seems to like them too. We have both some canned ones and the powder you mix up with water. We like both. It is nice to make your own as you can add a bit of berries to it to make it nicer !! The canned ones do come in handy. We have been using mainly the slim fast low carb canned shakes. It really is a personal thing that you have decide for yourself !!! Stephie
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 16:01

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

Devan,

I supplement with the shakes - I have one every morning for breakfast. Slim Fast now has a Low Carb shake that has only 2 net grams (190 calories), and they taste better and are less expensive than any other Low Carb shake on the market. I get mine at BJ's, a Costco or Sam's Club type place, for $16.49 for a 15 pack in either Creamy Chocolate or Creamy Vanilla.

The best part for me is that they use Milk Protien Isolates instead of soy or whey - so they taste great!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 17:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 335/203/190 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 91%

I use the atkins shakes about 1/3 of the AMs for breakfast
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 12:01
Busty McChacha

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

On Sundays I make a fritatta (imagine a crustless quiche). Cut out my portions and pop it in the micro every morning. I do have a shake mix that I bought from Costco...4 carbs per serving. 19.99 with 90 servings in the industrial strength can. I have only made the shakes a few times but its good. I flavor it with a dash of whatever sugar free syrup I have on hand i.e., white chocolate, banana, english toffee. It comes out very nice.