Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Does anyplace sell frozen cauliflower by itself?

Since I'm the only one here eating it, I'd really like to be able to buy frozen cauliflower so I can just pull out a little at a time when I want it. I've been getting the cauliflower/broccoli blends and having that with my lunch...which is okay...but I really want to make the mock mashed potatoes. Anyone know where I might find JUST frozen cauliflower?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Whole Foods Diet
Stats: 193/133.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 103%

I've bought just the "store brand" it was mixed in with everything else in the frozen section. I wasn't too impressed though. It was kind of mushy and I like my crisper.

Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 10:58

Stats: 267/172.5/135 Female 67 inches
BF:36+%/33.8%/20%
Progress: 72%

Well, I'm not sure what stores you have or where you live, but I get frozen cauliflower by itself in bags of 16oz at Publix and Winn Dixie here in FL.

I've made the mashed cauliflower, and it's really good!

Melissa
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 11:00

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

If you give a location, people near you could give suggestions. I find it in many stores in Canada. Most bulk or discount food stores have it too.

Try asking at the customer service desk whether they do get it in or if they would get some for you.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 11:29

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I find it in the frozen veggie dept. at my Super Wal-Mart. You have to really hunt for it though. It's not as visible as the corn and broccoli. Fresh is SO much better though. I usually break off the florets and store them in an airtight container and use what I need when I need it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 11:37

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Definitely ask at the customer service desk. Albertsons is one of local grocers here and they are always willing to special order most anything if you ask. Wal-Mart is also a good place to search for it. I couldn't find it at the Wal-Mart near my home but I didn't look real hard. Maybe I need to just slow down a bit.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 12:00

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Yes, let us know where you live. I'm in Chicago and have ALWAYS eaten frozen cauliflower by itself. Here you can find it in any grocery store in the frozen section without problem-- it's a standard item. I was shocked to hear it's difficult to find in some areas of the country. Who would have thought it's a "regional thing?!"
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 12:03

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I get the GV brand from Wal-Mart or the Meijer brand from Meijer; both are 16 oz bags.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 12:05
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've not had a problem finding any up here in WI. I buy the frozen Flavorite bags of florets at our grocery store.

melissa
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 13:15

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Thanks, everyone. I'm in N.Texas. I guess I need to look a little harder. I normally shop Kroger or Wal-Mart's Neighborhood Market and neither of those have had it when I've looked. We have an Albertson's and a Super Wal-Mart, too, so I'll check those week. I'm so glad to know it exists!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 16:42

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

I have looked at Albertsons, Fred Meyer and Top Fooda and had no luck but I have bought it at Safeway. It's not too bad. I just, for the first time, got the guts to taste it with gravy. Wasn't bad. Now I think I have the courage to try it as fake mashed potatoes. The texture of the cauliflower by itself was strange with gravy but if it's put through the food processer then it may taste better. Annie
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 16:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you can't find it and are willing to put in a little work of your own, you can freeze fresh cauliflower yourself. Here's how: http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600073.html
It might be worth it and save you a little $$ if you can find fresh cauliflower on sale and do a big batch at one time.
Keep in mind, though, that it will only keep for a while, even frozen. I would suggest using what you freeze within 3-4 months or they very much lose their quality (it helps to put the date frozen on the package so you can see how long it's been in the freezer at a glance and without guessing).
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 16:58
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

We have Krogers in our area, not in my town, but close, and I can't believe it's not there somewhere. Every other grocery around here sells it: Harris Teeter, Lowes Foods, Food Lion, etc. in their house brand as well as the pricier Birdseye version. I have noticed that their supplies are often low these days....I'm pretty sure because of so many folks doing low carb.

Good luck! I find the frozen version to be just as good as fresh and a whole lot cheaper.I was shocked because I seldom buy frozen vegetables.....

Kay

Kay
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 17:25
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

I'm in SE Texas and have always been ableto find it at Kroger's.

Dana