Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 18:40
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 193/183.4/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Suggestions Anyone??

I started Atkins on Tuesday (May 4) and would love to hear any suggestions for breakfast other then meat and eggs that is legal during induction. I have always been huge on fruit and am having a hard time with no fruit. If I could come across the Atkins shakes I might be okay but so far I haven't found them in B.C., well at least not in Langley or further out in the valley.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks a bunch!!
Charlene
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 18:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Try this link--she has menus planned out and recipes etc. I haven't been there in a while but she used to have like 21 days of induction recipes.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4n46b/...pesdesserts.htm
angie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 20:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

It's only 2 weeks - only 14 breakfasts and not even that many left. Can you dedicate the less than two weeks to go to getting the best start on losing the weight? Just a different way to look at it.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

Try some strawberries if you need some. My fave is to chop them up and mix with a bunch of home made whipped cream. Though on induction your fruit allowance is gonna be small. If you are the type where a taste sets you off (like me) you may want to save it for when you start stepping up your carbs.

Other breakfast ideas:

LC yogurt with a tbs or two of Atkins cereal on top (calculate the carbs, the cereal has anywhere from 3 to 5 grams per 2/3 cup serving). Maybe cook your eggs differently. I myself can't stomach scrambled eggs anymore, and have been eating them deviled all month. Yummy. Or, step out of the breakfast box, and eat something you might eat for a snack, lunch or dinner (a salad, veggies dipped in ranch or bleu cheese, celery sticks with peanut butter or cream cheese in the center).
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 21:18
Registered Member

Stats: 206/199/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I found a recipe called Low Carb Hot Cereal by Doreen T. Go to recipes and check it out...also I like 1/2 cup Rocotta Cheese, 1 egg, cap of Maple flavoring. Mix well. Cover and cook in Micowave 1 minute. Stir good...Enjoy with 1 T. cream and 1 pk of Splenda...
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 21:47

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4lemon
Try some strawberries if you need some. My fave is to chop them up and mix with a bunch of home made whipped cream. Though on induction your fruit allowance is gonna be small. If you are the type where a taste sets you off (like me) you may want to save it for when you start stepping up your carbs.

Other breakfast ideas:

LC yogurt with a tbs or two of Atkins cereal on top (calculate the carbs, the cereal has anywhere from 3 to 5 grams per 2/3 cup serving). Maybe cook your eggs differently. I myself can't stomach scrambled eggs anymore, and have been eating them deviled all month. Yummy. Or, step out of the breakfast box, and eat something you might eat for a snack, lunch or dinner (a salad, veggies dipped in ranch or bleu cheese, celery sticks with peanut butter or cream cheese in the center).

Most of that stuff is not allowed on induction. Berries, peanut butter, yogurt, atkins cereals are all stuff that needs to wait for after induction. I know it's a tough 14 days but it really helps to stick with the allowed foods. scrambled tofu with salsa and cheese is a good alternative to eggs. Quiche although it's eggs really helps to mask the taste of egg (try using goat cheese, blue cheese or a smoked cheese to further mask the egg taste). I always load my quiche with PLENTY of veggies too. Tilapia fillets with cajun seasoning and a side of asparagus are a filling breakfast. Morningstar farms makes a good 'sausage' patty that I usually eat with a side of fried shredded cabbage. Tomato slices baked or broiled with basil and cheese is yummy too. Custards are sweet but legal. You can find an induction friendly crustless cheesecake or pumpkin pie too for something different. Just hold tight the first 14 days and know that you are only a couple weeks at most from some yummy berries!

Jenn
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 22:09
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 193/183.4/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Thank you

Thanks everyone for your replies and ideas!!! I have come to realize that half of my problem is I'm not creative at all when it comes to my meals. I will most definately try some of these ideas you have suggested!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!
Charlene
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 22:58
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/205/180 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Protein Shakes

When thinking of protein shakes don't limit yourself to those with the Atkins brand or those pre-mixed and canned. You can get protein powder at GNC or other health food type stores or on the internet and mix your own.
I make "hot chocolate" protein drinks for breakfast during the week, I add other ingredients to get the taste I want, they're fast and easy. On weekends when I have more time, I have eggs/ham or omelets.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 23:44

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

In our house we have those who don't even like eggs, so breakfast can be interesting to say the least, LOL.

One good Induction breakfast food (and this is eggs, but it doesn't taste like eggs) is the Mock Danish. That's two eggs mixed up with a little Splenda added, then add cream cheese that has been cut into small pieces. Mix this up, not completely blending the cream cheese, then microwave it for a minute or two, until it's all done. After you're off Induction, you can even top this with strawberries or raspberries. I promise, it does taste more like a pastry than eggs.

We sometimes eat meat roll-ups or salads for breakfast too, or even leftovers from the previous night's dinner.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 06:14
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Im with Lilacotton on this one. Making me hungry now

Angel
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 06:19
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Csummer,

I encourage you to start incorporating variety into your meals. I think that this is one of THE primary reasons people don't stick with LC is that they get really bored. There are lots of LC recipes available in this and other forums and there are LC cookbooks out there as well.

P.S. I'm more for convenience and the Pour a Quiche cartons available in the grocerer's freezer are a life-saver. 45 mins on 50% power in the micro and you have quiche for about 4-5 days.

Dana
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 06:47
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsah
Most of that stuff is not allowed on induction. Berries, peanut butter, yogurt, atkins cereals are all stuff that needs to wait for after induction. I know it's a tough 14 days but it really helps to stick with the allowed foods. scrambled tofu with salsa and cheese is a good alternative to eggs. Quiche although it's eggs really helps to mask the taste of egg (try using goat cheese, blue cheese or a smoked cheese to further mask the egg taste). I always load my quiche with PLENTY of veggies too. Tilapia fillets with cajun seasoning and a side of asparagus are a filling breakfast. Morningstar farms makes a good 'sausage' patty that I usually eat with a side of fried shredded cabbage. Tomato slices baked or broiled with basil and cheese is yummy too. Custards are sweet but legal. You can find an induction friendly crustless cheesecake or pumpkin pie too for something different. Just hold tight the first 14 days and know that you are only a couple weeks at most from some yummy berries!

Jenn

hey, you're right. I ate stuff that wasn't allowed on induction and I am paying the price now. I think I'd be within ten lbs of my goal if I hadn't done that.