Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 08:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Does exercise cause immediate lb gain?

Hello smart exercisers of the world!!

I have been doing crunches for the past month, and this is also the time I have gained six pounds. I have never been good at crunches before.

Could this weight gain be attributed to my stomach muscles swelling?

Thanks for the response, for any who know...

M
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 09:07

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

While it is very common to gain weight (temporary water gain usually, or gaining muscles) from (re)starting an exercise routine, but 6 lbs from crunches in one month seems to be very rare...
As I see you are so close to your goal weight. Those last lbs the hardest one to lose, so some fluctuation is very common.
Maybe something in your diet? Or something about the weighting method? Have these lbs climbed back slowly, week by week? Or in relatively short 24-72 hours period?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 09:20

BF:

Hi

yeah, my lbs came back from eating the less-than-desirable foods, but I also wondered if the crunches would cause it. You think some could be water again? Thanks.

M
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 11:22

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Maybe some of it is water, but much more likely from your diet than crunches. crunches couldn't add that much muscle, if any, especially in a short amount of time. I would say look to your diet. I know that when i do crunches, my stomache muscles never "swell". everything feels tighter instantly (and of course only stays tighter if i keep up with the ab exercise)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 11:33

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itty
Hello smart exercisers of the world!!

I have been doing crunches for the past month, and this is also the time I have gained six pounds. I have never been good at crunches before.

Could this weight gain be attributed to my stomach muscles swelling?

Thanks for the response, for any who know...

M

Heya! long tym! when's the next Eat? oops i meant Meat, ... there i go again meet? hehe... been so darn busy with school the past 3 months... have one more exam tommorow YAY!

Some of the weight could be from the muscles swelling (filling with water for recovery) but after a month of crunches, it's impossible to gain that much lean mass in such a short time... maybe it's water retention from the extra goodies you've been eatin

here's an experiment for you... don't do any crunches for 5-7days... that's how long it usually takes for the muscles to flush the water out... if you go down by 6lbs, then you've been holding onto a heck of a load of water hehe... if not, then you might be retaining water elsewhere or *gasp!* gained a bit of fat... but if it's fat, don't worry, it'll come off easily

on a side note: i find crunches to be pretty much useless unless you can already see the ab muscles while flexing... use the time instead to do some cardio... i have a nice 4pack coming along (i'm aiming for the full 6! or 8 if i'm lukcy hehe) and i only work my abs once a week... doing situps/crunches while still having some fat covering the stomach area will just make your stomach and waist look bigger...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 08:13

BF:

Hi rice!!!!

(I'll PM about the meet!)

My concern is my "spare tire" that I have had all my life is still there, and I want to get rid of it! I do not want to make my waist bigger-- I have a great hourglass figure when I lose weight!!!

Do you think Cardio will shrink my tummy? What is the best exercise for flattening the area just below the belly button?

Thanks again all for input!

Mary

Last edited by Itty : Wed, Apr-28-04 at 08:13. Reason: splng
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 08:51
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

mary -

Unfortunately you can't really target weight/fat loss in a specific area. Fat loss will happen all over your body. You can build your muscles in a specific area so that when the fat starts to peel away that the muscules you've been strengthening look defined!

I'd concentrate on continuing your overall weight loss... Hopefully those last few pounds might come off on your waist area. Exercises for your abdomen will help tone your tummy. Oblique crunches will work on your waist line.

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:23

BF:

Thanks nets!

M
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 13:41

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_boi

Some of the weight could be from the muscles swelling (filling with water for recovery) but after a month of crunches, it's impossible to gain that much lean mass in such a short time... maybe it's water retention from the extra goodies you've been eatin ..

That makes perfect sense. Now I won't get so discouraged if I gain a little water weight now.