Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 22:06

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Need some input from Experts/Skilled Paleo followers

Well I started Atkins 3 weeks ago, lost 5 pounds first week and then gain it back the next one, I started getting more sick, “digestion and being very tired, depress like feeling”. I thought it was side effects of either Ketosis, amount of Fat/Meat or the fact that I come from being Vegan for the past 10 years and the last 2 RawVegan… thinking my body wasn’t ready for this change… Confusion to pin point the problem. Then someone suggested to stop eating the Cheese, and Voia la, Not only in the past 5 days my constipation is totally gone, my mood and I am kind of feeling that the skin is starting to fix itself.

This put me to think, 15g. Carbs the whole 3 weeks and the only change was the Cheese, there is something important there.. so here I am...I just got fascinated with all the reading I been doing this past 2 days, is like a dream come true, since I come from Raw Foodist I totally love the idea of the Raw part of the diet, but I have few questions and would like to start knowing people here in the forum that have done this for a while.

#1...Is there any study showing that the Fat in the cheese do interrupt with our hormones? Our mood?, what is the mystery behind the Cheese?

#2...Nuts? I understand that if I want to loose faster keep low the fruits and nuts, is there people sensitive to nuts even do they eat it raw and and put them in water?

#3...What do you put on top of a “pancake” that's how I call the invention of just eggs, pork skins rings, cinnamon and stevia, they hold and make a good "Frensh Tost Like" but now what do I put on top? any ideas oh this? what do you use as maple syrup?

#4...can you rate how much this item interfear with weight loss? Should I stop them? What are your coments on… Avocado, Honey, Bacon cured with Nitr.., Stevia?

#5... Green tea? Why this one, what is behind this? How much is too much? does Caffein has an impact here?

Last edited by cucu : Thu, May-06-04 at 08:45.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:58

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

First of all, Welcome!

1. Cheese - I believe it is the proteins and carbohydrate in the cheese that may be the culprit in causing the problems that you refer to.

2. Eating nuts raw is what is recommended in the hunter/gatherer diet - yes, it can still interfere with weight loss. I never heard of putting them in water--what would be the reason for that?

3. Pancakes are made from processed grain which would not be eaten on this diet. Maple syrup is a processed food, as well. Eggs are fine. Cinnamon is a spice--that's fine.

4. Avocado should be fine. Bacon cured with nitrates should be soaked overnight to remove the nitrates and sugar and other junk, then it's fine. Sweet things like honey and stevia, even if natural or low calorie, can spike insulin and may interfere with weight loss. I am staying away from all sweet foods until I lose weight.

5. Green tea contains anti-oxidants and is thought to be beneficial to health.

Hope this helps.

Howard
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:29
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I never thought of maple syrup as a processed food but I guess it is because it is boiled down tree sap.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
First of all, Welcome!
Hope this helps.

Wow is a shame you don’t have a Journal to jump into to thank you but here are my coments..

1. Pancakes I call them Pancakes but I made them myself with only eggs, fiber, pork skins rings and cinnamon, this makes like a thick pasta and then it holds like a pancake or like a Frensh Tost, It taste very good, but normaly put this LC syrup, but I now understand the point about sugary things might triggering something.. I have to start re-training my taste on this matter, but then I have to invent some kind of “homemade mayo good tasting like” to put on top now, latter on the game I could so it with nuts but now I am away from them.

2. Nuts Well they are build to be able to protect themselves from water (for the rain) so they have this “enzyme inhibitor” that is hard for us to digest if you eat a lot, some just can’t eat them very well, so when you soked them for 12 hrs/aprox. You can see in the water they release this thing and then you wash them with water again and “voia la” you can eat them and digest them better, of course there is people that have a very hard stomach and they don’t need it.

3. Bacon Wow, I didn’t know about being able to soak the on water, thanks this is a very valuable information.

4. Tee Are all the Tee good, or only the Green One? And does it has caffeine in it? Do they sell this any particular way I should know? Is there any information about the amount of Green tee I should drink, is this the one the Chinese or Japanise Drink in their resturan?

Well thanks anyway
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:36

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Welcome Cucu!
Before I respond to your questions, please try and find a copy of NeanderThin and check out all the Paleo Link websites mentioned on this forum.

1. Cheese is a dairy product and many people have allergies or are sensitive to dairy. You could be one. Also cheese is a inflammatory food which causes inflammation within the body. People who experience gout, arthritis and other such diseases should use it in moderation. Dairy products are not allowed on NeanderThin.
2. According to Weston Price Foundation, nuts contain toxins or should I say enzyme inhibitors and should be soaked overnight in water and then dried slowly on low heat in the oven. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen. Some people do have allergies and sensitivity to nuts. Those who need to lose a lot of weight should keep nuts to the barest minimum until they reach their goal weight.
3. Pancakes, as Howard mentioned, are not allowed. Even low carb pancake mix is not allowed because it contains "frankenfoods," foods that have been processed or genetically altered, such as the soy found in north america, as opposed to fermented soy of Asia (which I might add is used in moderation and small quantities). I think stevia is ok only because it is natural and used in such small quantities. One drop can sweeten a large cup of coffee or tea. Real maple sugar is natural but needs to be restricted to small quantities as does honey and used only on rare occasions.
4. Avocado is one item that is allowed and encouraged on this plan. For honey, stevia see item 3.
5. As Howard mentioned, green tea is beneficial and is recommended by the author of NeanderThin, who doesn't actually have a problem with caffeine per se, he allows consumption of tea even black tea, but not coffee because coffee is a bean. Same with chocolate (beans not allowed).

Good luck to you in your newfound journey to good health.

Last edited by Hellistile : Thu, May-06-04 at 08:48.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 09:51

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Hellistile,

Actually the coffee bean is a misnomer--it's actually a fruit, and I believe Ray Audette mentioned this. The reason for its exclusion is that it has to be processed in order to be consumed.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 11:44

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

This is an imho, no studies to back it up. I can't do the pork rinds. They cause me to want to binge and pig out. I am not sure why it is this way, but I don't do the pancakes you talked about for that reason.

I also see pork rinds as really highly processed. I mean, how do I really know what they are being fried in? Technically, I guess they are paleo, but for me because of teh processing they just don't work. Marty
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 12:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopoles
I also see pork rinds as really highly processed. Marty

Very good point, I will go back to my first pancakes where they where only eggs and Fiber, or eggs and Flax seeds, I didn't thought about the frying thing with the pork skins.... I have a lot of reading and catching up to do, but so far it sounds like a very healthy eating, in the past 5 days that I switched it has been a TREMENDOUS change, more stable, feeling really full (not like the one that you don’t have energy and just want to lie down), not constipations or “gases”, more more energy, wow I am amaze.. I am looking forward to have all the info and tips.

I do consider is going to be hard to stop my need for some sweet taste on some issues.. but maybe in time I will forget and not even want to do this Pancakes in the morning..
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucu

#1...Is there any study showing that the Fat in the cheese do interrupt with our hormones? Our mood?, what is the mystery behind the Cheese?

Loren Cordain, PhD and the author of The Paleolithic Diet, hypothesises that milk proteins have several bad qualities:

1. It may not digest correctly in the intestine. The proteins that are not digested can enter the body and are very similar in structure to human tissues. The immune system recognizes these milk proteins as foreign substances and begins to try to attack them. Because these proteins are similar to the human tissue, your own body may begin to attack itself, mistaking human tissue for the milk proteins. Cordain suspects that this can cause arthritis, among other immune system problems.

2. Milk proteins can act as opioids in the brain. Therefore, they make you sleepy and then irritable then desire more. Opiods are also known to be constipating! So perhaps all the cheese was causing your constipation. Gluten containing foods are suspected to have opiod-like activity.

Neanderthin doesn't really cover this stuff, but I find it very fascinating. I did have to cut out dairy. If you seem to have cravings for it, that's a sign that you may actually have intolerances to it. I feel better without it.

Quote:
#2...Nuts? I understand that if I want to loose faster keep low the fruits and nuts, is there people sensitive to nuts even do they eat it raw and and put them in water?

I love nuts but try not to eat too many of them. Keep them unsalted and you probably won't want to binge on them.

Quote:
#3...What do you put on top of a “pancake” that's how I call the invention of just eggs, pork skins rings, cinnamon and stevia, they hold and make a good "Frensh Tost Like" but now what do I put on top? any ideas oh this? what do you use as maple syrup?

If you want a yummy breakfast food, a good substitute that I LOVE is apples, bananas and walnuts fried in butter and sprinkled with coconut and cinnamon. So good! You could probably put that stuff on top of the pancakes...if you HAVE to eat them. Pork rinds aren't the most nutritious foods...

Quote:
#4...can you rate how much this item interfear with weight loss? Should I stop them? What are your coments on… Avocado, Honey, Bacon cured with Nitr.., Stevia?

Avocado = really good, tasty, easy to transport snack. Full of vitamin A and good fats.

Honey = tasty, but I never eat it..I have problems with binging on sweets. Anything I get too passionate of a love for I cut out of my diet. Obviously I have a sugar addiction problem so I removed all dried fruits and honey.

Bacon = as long as it's not sweetened, i would eat it....the nitrates aren't a huge concern of mine.

Stevia = I avoid this as even things that TASTE sweet can possible cause a release of insulin in the body and start your body to crave sweets. I am training my body away from anything sweet. It seems to work pretty well.

Quote:
#5... Green tea? Why this one, what is behind this? How much is too much? does Caffein has an impact here?

Green tea is really good for you. It helps you lose weight. There have been studies about it and it is truly a weight loss aid if you drink it with your meals. It is also a blood sugar lowering agent, so if you have problems with PCOS or Type 2 diabetes it could be really good for you. It's also full of antioxidants which counteract cancer. It's very, very, very good for you! I drink it all the time. There is caffeine in the green tea but for me, this isn't a concern at the moment.

Great questions! I'm glad you're finding the Paleolithic eating works well with your body. I find that I feel so much better eating this way!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 21:23

BF:

arcticslugWow talking about good explanation... I was fascinated on the cheese matter, thanks so much I really like to know things from the root, helps me be more strict on my diet... Thanks for the time and detail of the post.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 07:41
TeaQueen

Plan: My own verson of Atkins
Stats: 311/294/120 Female 5' 1
BF:

I guess I can jump in with the green tea question here. It is something that I have thought about a lot since I sell tea for a living. LOL

Green tea is excellent for you. Of course it does have some caffeine, but less than coffee.

Here's some info from my site on caffeine content.
One cup (8 oz) of black tea typically contains between 40 and 60 milligrams of caffeine. This is equivalent to a level of caffeine typically found in a can of soda pop.
Green tea typically contains of half that amount, between 15 and 30 milligrams.
Even decaffeinated tea contains a trace (between 5 and 10 milligrams) of caffeine.
If you are working on eliminating caffeine completely, please consider switching to herbal tea.

Green tea is the national beverage of Japan and the number 1 consumed beverage on the planet. Japan is home to some of the oldest living people in world. Can there be correlation? I think so. Their diet and what they drink is a huge contributor as it is for any human being.

A bit on Pu-erh Tuo Cha. They say that this tea comes from a special tea plant that is said to be related to pre-historic tea plants. I haven't seen any studies on this, but am doing some research on it now.

Rooibos which actually isn't "tea" per se grows off the cape of good hope in Africa. It has been used by African peoples for thousands of years as a beverage. In their villages and camps there is always a pot on the fire boiling. Is it from pre-historic times? I don't know, but it is rich in anti-oxidants and other health benenfits. I love the taste, and it has gotten me through some very trying LC moments. LOL

The reasearch on green and now white teas for health is numerous and amazing. Personally, I feel if something is that beneficial, then it is worth considering for adding to one's lifestyle.

There is an interesting article on White Tea here:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3079355/

FWITW
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 10:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scented1
Green tea is excellent for you.
FWITW

Hey, thanks, this info is getting better everyday, can you elaborate on how you take your green tee? Do you buy the leaves and boild them in water and like that, or take the Pre-packed ones and used them. Also can you put a link to the tees you sell?, and your opinion on how much tee, since I drink a lot of water I can easily start adding too much tee or just few cups, I am open to the idea..
Plus wasn’t there any info that a good amount of caffeing in fact it good for you. I don’t drink coffee “ever” nor tees, but I can do so for my health.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 19:28
TeaQueen

Plan: My own verson of Atkins
Stats: 311/294/120 Female 5' 1
BF:

Hey there Cucu!

You actually take the loose tea and put them in a strainer of some type and add very hot water not boiling about 180 degrees or just when the water starts to steam really good. You pour the water over the leaves and steep for 1 minute not longer or green tea becomes bitter. The cool thing about green tea is that you can steep the leaves this way 3 or even up to 5 or six times (of course the strength diminishes each time, but it is still good for you).

2 to 4 cups a day is great or more depending on your caffeine tolerance, I also have decaf green in a few flavors.

I am not allowed to post my business link publically as it is against forum rules, but if you look at my profile it is in there.

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if you have further questions.

Glad you are here!