Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 16:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%
Default Advice needed on starting a jogging routine...

Hi all. I'm looking to start morning beach runs, but don't know where to begin. I've never been much of a runner, so I'm not sure how far to run an dfor how long, etc.

I also think I should ease into it so I don't get discouraged.

I have great running shoes, so that's taken care of.

Any suggestions on the whole how far/how long thing?

Amy
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 16:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Here's what I did: I'd start out walking briskly, run until I was out of breath then walk. Rinse and repeat. Just let your body tell you how far and how long.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 16:54

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Here's a great link for beginning runners:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article...-0-2201,00.html

Good luck and have fun!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 17:43

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Everyone is different but here is how I started off......

I started off doing 3 miles about 3 times per week. When I first started I could jog about 1/3 mile or so before having to stop and walk. I can now jog a mile, walk about 1/4 mile, jog another mile, walk a 1/4 mile, jog another mile. In 4 months I went from not being able to jog 1 mile to completing a half marathon. It just takes a little dedication and some hard work. Best running investment I ever made was the Rio Sport MP3 player I bought, I would go crazy without it
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 17:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146.5/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 50%

I started running about six years ago and had to stop when my husband got sick and after he died I could not seem to motivate myself. I worked with an avid runner and she taught me a very easy system. Mark out a one mile course. You need to complete this course in 18 minutes by running or walking. You cannot come in earlier or later than 18 minutes. Do this until you find yourself completing the entire mile running with no walking. Then increase your distance to 1.5 miles with the same 18 minute limit. When you accomplish the 1.5 miles increase it to 2 miles. I found that I didn't even have to do the 2 mile section. All of a sudden I found that I could run distances continuously and relatively painlessly (though I do not think running is ever completely painless). This was an unbelievablly easy system that I am trying to talk myself into starting again.
I am finally, after 4 years, finding that to really loose weight and get in shape I need to exercise and I desparately miss running. The only thing keeping me from running is me.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 23:01

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%

i started walking/jogging 1 mile everyday.. and everyday i would push myself further.. [i was on a treadmill] i would say "okay.. im going to run for .20 miles then walk [fast]" i kept building up and up until one day i ran a whole mile w/o effort.. before i knew it.. i was running 3-4 miles a day.. the key is to GRADUALLY work your way into it or you will never want to do it again. now if you are outside say "im going to run to this landmark" then walk a bit then jog then walk.. its hard at first but it gets addicting

if you absolutely hate running try joining a gym to use their cardio equip. or take classes
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 23:11
Registered Member

Stats: 145/145/130 Male 5"7'
BF:
Progress:

how effectivie is jogging in place at home?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 05:04

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

When I started running, I used a run/walk system--I can't remember where I got it. Search on Runnersworld.com for a run/walk chart. Or google Hal Higdon, it might have been his, come to think of it.

Anyway, you're on the road for 30 min. Run 1 min., walk 1, repeat for 30 min. After a week you move to run 2, walk 1 for 30 min. A couple of weeks take bigger time jumps--I think after you get to 6 mins., but you never walk more than 60 secs. It is very gentle and I really enjoyed it.

I found on Runners world that walking for 60 seconds after each mile of a marathon helps you keep going and not get too tired. It tried it on the one and only 5K that I ran and I finished with an excellent time for me--and I hadn't run more than 2 miles all year!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 06:55

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

I trained for a 1/2 marathon once and I remember all the experienced runners doing 5 and 1's. Which is run 5 minutes and walk 1. But you have to work up to this. Start with 2/1's or 3/3's just to see what you can do without pain. and make sure you take it easy at first as you don't want to injure yourself. Running on sand is a super workout, but it can really mess your body up as there are not solid surfaces and your body has to adjust with each step. I know I tried it when I had a bit of knee pain and I haven't been back since...my knee was killing me so. But everyone is different!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 20:37
Registered Member

Stats: 2//135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

I appreciate all the advice you all have given! I'm starting a walking/running program this week.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 21:14

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

Wow, I appreciate this thread a lot. I'm training for my first marathon and need all the advice I can get.

Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 18:27

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would second everybody who recommended some kind of jog/walk routine. Here is the runnersworld.com link for beginners:
http://www.runnersworld.com/categor...184-0-0,00.html
Not only training plan, but injury prevention, how to find the righ shoes etc.
Sybs mentioned the problem with running on the sand. I second this too. It is very hard on your leg, usually recommended instead of hill work (!!!) for beach residents - because as hard as running uphill:-)

Take care:
Eva