Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 20:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
(I want to move to BC and marry Karen, now).

I think you may have to buy her dinner first, Lisa. But as you're going to be there this month, that's doable

So how was the booze? headaches? did you experience the 'cheap drunk' syndrome?

Nat
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 09:07

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Well - no Vancouver for me, unfortunately. I'm sad to report that budget is once again an issue.

I certainly did become a cheap drunk ... 'course I always was! The next two days were fairly unpleasant...I think this had way less to do with the alcohol and a lot to do with the carbs. Had fun though so I'm thinking it was worth it!

Workout update:

Monday - 5:15 - ran 3.5 kms - approx 25 min with 3 minute cool down
Tuesday - 5:23 - ran 2.5 kms - approx 22 min with 4 min cool down

Lisa
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 10:33

BF:

Took a rest day yesterday...or rather my head refused to lift off the pillow when the alarm went off

Ran this am - 23 minutes plus 4 minute cool down including that nasty hill 2 times!

Reconsidering my decision to run more, gym less as it gets colder... Thoughts are definitely veering back towards weight training. Hey! Body for Lifers (Nat and Jon) - is there a book? website? Do you have to pay for it?

Thanks

Lisa
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 10:57

BF:

Hey Lisa, join the dark side!

Take a look at the last 3 or 4 posts in Jon's Journal, there's a load of information about BFL he posted to some questions I had. Very helpful. If you decide to give it a go, I have the excel files he talks about and some other stuff that would help you. The book can be bought at any bookstore around town. Kinda pricey though, only found the hardcover (not even sure if there is another version).

Nat
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 14:51

BF:

Thanks Nat - I saw the book at Costco for $20 (betcha didn't want to hear that!) and checked out some websites. Definitely food for thought.

Finally back to my workouts yesterday. Ran for 25 min and then 30 min on stairclimber today. I'm undergoing some major personal stress at the moment and I think exercise may be the only thing that's gonna keep me sane. So far I'm managing to stay away from the "food as a drug" approach to managing. If anything, I'm not eating enough.

More on this when I have the energy to get into it...

Had a big sushi pig out on Saturday nite which was the official end to my birthday. It was wonderful but no more for a long while. Next planned cheat will be sometime during Xmas - probably our office party

Take care,
Lisa
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 08:00

BF:

Won't be working out today - went to see the Harry Potter movie last night and didn't get home until 1 a.m. but it was worth it! So I'm running on little sleep at the moment. I do miss my workouts though...

I haven't weighed in a month - found out today that I've broken my stall and lost 4 lbs! 10 to go!!!!

Lisa
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 08:04

BF:

Holy Cow!!! WTG Lisa Wonder when that happened? Who cares!!! You must be thrilled.

Nat

P.S. saw the book at Price Club.... was not amused
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 09:21

BF:

7:30 - at gym - 20 min stairclimber - intervals, Level 5 for first half, Level 4 for second. About 214 calories.

Weights:

25 crunches
15 obliques each side

Bench press (dumbells):
12 w/ 8lbs each
12 w/ 10 lbs each
10 w/ 12 lbs each

Military press (dumbells):
10 w/ 10 lbs
8 w/ 12 lbs
8 w/ 12 lbs

I'm gonna hurt tomorrow!!

Lisa
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 06:48

BF:

Surprisingly didn't hurt as much as I thought I would!

Ran on Saturday - 4 kms - 27 min + 3 min cool down.

Back to the gym this afternoon for weights and cardio.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 13:47

BF:
Default Ab boot camp!

Did 20 min cardio on stairclimber - Level 4 - strength training interval workout.

Tried out ab bootcamp. I'm not sure if my upper thighs don't hurt more than my abs!

Nat - I'm confused about side crunches. Training buddy and I thought it felt more like traditional aerobics class hip flexor workout?!? Maybe you can demonstrate on Saturday? We agreed we won't be able to laugh, sneeze or cough tomorrow!

Lisa
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:03

BF:
Default Re: Ab boot camp!

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
Nat - I'm confused about side crunches. Training buddy and I thought it felt more like traditional aerobics class hip flexor workout?!? Maybe you can demonstrate on Saturday? We agreed we won't be able to laugh, sneeze or cough tomorrow!

No way am I demonstrating on Sat - Sat is my day off!! Here's the link to Ab-Bootcamp with pictures. From what I've gathered you're supposed to flex the glutes to isolate the abs and take the hip flexors out of the equation.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp

Btw, there's been some debate about this over at the BFL forum and the general consensus is 20 minute AS should involve aerobic intervals, not strength i.e. increase the speed but not the resistance, you aren't supposed to be 'working' your lower body.

Nat
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:23

BF:
Default Thanks Nat!

We were doing a few of them wrong - pictures really help...and boy did I like those pictures!!!
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 06:41

BF:
Default Sore!

No running or gym today...my back is really sore from the ab boot camp. This is what happens when you do it wrong!

Also picked up a copy of Body for Life...if not for the entire program, at least for inspiration.

I wondered if anyone out there has any comments on supplements? I tend to avoid them for two reasons. The overriding one is cost - I don't want to spend money on something if I don't have to...and I'm on the fence as to whether or not they actually work. Second, I am biased towards natural approaches. Then again, what's "natural" isn't a question I've really answered either.

Lisa
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 07:51

BF:

Lisa, if you're going to be lifting any weights I seriously recommend a few supplements:

Glutamine (in powder form): You drop 1 tsp in your water bottle during your workout; and another in later in the day. It's odourless and with a litre of water you don't even notice it. It will help greatly with soreness (I was unable to walk down the stairs after my first lower body workout; within a day of adding Glutamine I felt better - now that I'm pushing it harder I'm rarely 'sore' but I do feel that I've worked out). Glutamine is an amino acid that carries nitrogen to the muscles; it prevents wasting and encourages growth. It also helps to bolster the immune system.

Vitamin C and E: two powerful antioxidants that neutralize cortisol which is produced when your body is under stress; take these after your workouts (400 i.u. of E and 1000mg of C)

My 2 cents.
Nat
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 07:32

BF:

Thanks for the advice Nat - where are you buying your Glutamine?

Haven't gotten around to reading the book - was home running a fever of 103 yesterday...needless to say, no workout for me. I'm back at work, though not at all sure I'll be here all day.

Just need to be better for the lo-carb lunch on Saturday!!!

Lisa