Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin resistant Atkins
Stats: 202/183.5/140 Female 66 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default The more I drink, the more I want!

I've been off my spring water drinking for a couple of months, but now that the weather is warming (90 degrees already!) I've been bringing in and drinking about 3 liters or more of water during work again.

I find that when I do this, I seem to get thirstier and thirstier, so I am chugging down lots of water, with subsequent, frequent trips to the little girl's room.

Is this normal? Its sort of the only thing I can gorge on and not feel guilty, but it seems odd to get a growing thirst when drinking water.

This water is bottled locally at the base of our beautiful Mt. Shasta, and I don't like the filtered waters because they taste salty to me. I get it in 5 gallon bottles and go through one bottle in about every 4 or five days in the summer.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 17:17

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

Are you diabetic, Mitsy? If you haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, I would certainly get checked for it. Extreme thirst and many trips to the bathroom are typical symptoms. If you are, you have a headstart on managing it, since I assume you're already eating low carb.

Karen D.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 17:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Yes, you may want to get your blood sugar checked--it couldn't hurt.

For me, though, this is a very normal thing. My whole family has always and still does drink a lot. We do have one diabetic in the family, but none of the rest of us are. And of course, with the drinking comes frequent trips to the bathroom. It's cold here today (around 65) and since 10 this morning (it's now 6 p.m.) I've drank at least three 32-oz. mugs full of ice water. As the weather gets warmer, I'll be drinking even more.

One thing I've found with low-carbing, is that my already voracious beverage appetite has only increased.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 22:24
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

It's normal for me and for me it's a GOOD sign. I lose weight faster when I'm drinking more water, and like you, when I drink more, I want more. If going to the bathroom moer is the only symptom youre seeing, I wouldn't worry about it!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 23:07
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

I found that the more I drank, the more I wanted. I very rarely drank water before atkins. (The bathroom trips settled down after the first couple of months )
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 03:22

Stats: 256/198/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 48%

Yes! I'm the same way. The more water I drink, seems like the drier my mouth feels, lol.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 06:03

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

It is normal to increase your amount of water intake over time.

It is not normal to increase it drastically in a short period though. That usually points to health problems or can create them.

In the last 3 months I've slowly increased from 80oz/day to 110.